Which Super Cheap Used Car For Driver Use Only?

Thread Starter #1
OK guys.An unexpected need has come up yesterday and I am in the market for a car. I will keep it short and to the point.
Background : We have 2 cars ,A 2006 NHC and a 2013 ritz petrol.They are used quite less with the NHC at 31k in 7.5 years and ritz at 9k in 1 year.Both are in immaculate condition.

Why the 3rd car - Well my 74 year old grandma wants to hire a driver for her commute.She is a doc and goes to hospital daily.We do not want to give the new ritz to the driver as my father needs a small car for his use also giving a new car to a driver doesnt go down well with my father.The city cannot be used since it is too big to go to the market-area where her hospital is.
Usage : Only by driver.Almost 100-150 kms a month. Will only be used for a year or two maximum since my grandma will soon be too old to go to the clinic.

Budget : Well minimum. Around 1 lakh .Can be stretched a bit if the car is very good.

Which car : Only tata nano/maruti 800/alto come to my mind at that price. I will prefer the marutis over nano for reliability and ease of maintenance.

Others : Well I am basically considering M800 If I get an alto for a little more money that will be awesome. I am looking at olx and classifieds for individual sellers.
Will only look at cars run below 50000kms.
Guys suggestions are welcome.
I will be posting link to car ads I am looking at as I progress.

You dont have many options -

Nano (2012) version only
M 800 (BS3 and above)
Alto (2006 onwards)

I would advise 1 or 3 with AC . PS should not be mandatory as it will be driver driven.
Nano will be better because of its huge space inside your grand mom will not find any difficulty to get in and out.

I'm not helpful here

But Other than Nano in your list / available option, Isn't your Ritz (P) most suitable to your Grandma for easy In & Out considering her age ?
As well Engine refinement comparing to Used Nano.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
You dont have many options -

Nano (2012) version only
M 800 (BS3 and above)
Alto (2006 onwards)

I would advise 1 or 3 with AC . PS should not be mandatory as it will be driver driven.
Nano will be better because of its huge space inside your grand mom will not find any difficulty to get in and out.
But I am not much inclined towards nano due to its reliability issues.M800/Alto are much cheaper easier to repair.

Totally agree with a used non AC alto over a M800 . One thing more to keep in mind is that this car will be sold in max 2 years/ 10000km maybe even earlier . So an alto will have a much better resale value than a M800 ( which will be sold for peanuts )

About non power steering. According to me buying a car with Ac and power steering by paying 10k/15k extra maybe more sensible than buying one without PS. 1/2 years down the line when I go to sell the car very few ppl will consider buying a non PS equipped car ( even today that is true ) So I will recover my initial investment and the car will be much easier to sell.
What do you say ?

And about the ease of ingress/exit she has no problem in that area, she is only a little uncomfortable in getting in/out of higher vehicles like sumo/safari etc.

I was browsing OLX yesterday and i think I can also consider zen because good cars seem to be available in 1L-1.2L range.

I'm not helpful here

But Other than Nano in your list / available option, Isn't your Ritz (P) most suitable to your Grandma for easy In & Out considering her age ?
As well Engine refinement comparing to Used Nano.
As I said my father uses the car daily so not feasable

Ingress & egress will be difficult in M800/Alto. So, its better to go for Nano.
Reliability/ Repair/ Resale of a used nano is questionable.
And about the ease of ingress/exit my grandma has no problem in that area, she is only a little uncomfortable in getting in/out of higher vehicles like sumo/safari etc.

guys i would suggest old model santro ac non power steering or the first model xing.
You may get it in this range, may be a 10000k more.
Santro may be more comfortable to old people to get in and out.
You may get a decent re-sale after two years.
And the maintenance is as cheap as alto.

But I am not much inclined towards nano due to its reliability issues.M800/Alto are much cheaper easier to repair.

Reliability/ Repair/ Resale of a used nano is questionable.
Nano 2012 is much better and fill and drive type vehicle. Also spares are dirt cheap as compared to M800 and Alto.

If not Nano you only other choice is Alto LXI.

Beware , some of the spares of Zen maybe costly.

Thread Starter #9
Guys off to a good start. Much better than I expected. Thanks to OLX .It has become much easier to find individual buyers.
Here are the cars I have selected among many cars that are available and gave a call to all owners today. All are individual buyers ( at least they claim to be , they all have these cars in their home not at a dealer ).All are first owner cars.

qwe.png

qwe2.png

qwe3.png

qwe4.png

qwe5.png

qwe6.png

So tomorrow/ day after is the day for footwork. Will inform my maruti mechanic and will get any car I am interested in thoroughly checked.
The documents stuff will be handled by dad.
And if I find a good car before this way I will surely consider gifting a 1k or so to OLX. I think they deserve it.

Except the first one all others condition seems to be good. Why dont you source the car from NCR/Noida/Faridabad area ? It will be cheaper.

Thread Starter #11
Except the first one all others condition seems to be good. Why dont you source the car from NCR/Noida/Faridabad area ? It will be cheaper.
I can very easily do so as I have a house in delhi and hence registration etc will not at all be a problem . But actually it is much better to buy a used car here than in delhi. Older cars in delhi are much more abused/run. You have to search very hard for a good used car.And also chances of getting fleeced are many times high ( Even if you are very knowledgeable about cars ).Frankly buying a used car in delhi is not for the light-hearted.

The prices are almost the same. A new car in delhi is more expensive than in uttarakhand due to lower tax duties.We can often find delhi ppl buying a new/used car in uttarakhand due to these reasons.

I can very easily do so as I have a house in delhi and hence registration etc will not at all be a problem . But actually it is much better to buy a used car here than in delhi. Older cars in delhi are much more abused/run. You have to search very hard for a good used car.And also chances of getting fleeced are many times high ( Even if you are very knowledgeable about cars ).Frankly buying a used car in delhi is not for the light-hearted.

The prices are almost the same. A new car in delhi is more expensive than in uttarakhand due to lower tax duties.We can often find delhi ppl buying a new/used car in uttarakhand due to these reasons.
Yes getting duped is very easy there.

I did not know taxes in UA are lower than DL. Since I stay in the highest tax zone everything else seems cheaper to me [frustration]

Top Bottom