Used Laura / Jetta 1.9 PD or Rapid / Vento 1.6 CR or Laura 1.8 TSI?

Thread Starter #1
Hi TAIgers,
The Topic Says it all, im stuck at a Heart vs Head Decision.

Well , My Octavia is doing fine, i have no heart to sell her, but as our Family have a big Body Frame, Rear seats are not just Enough for them. Hence we are looking for a Car with Similar Character (Strong build / Safe/ Handler) but with better Rear Space. Only Used cars will fit my Bill.

Options:

Old Laura 1.9 PD 105 HP

+ves

Very Solid Build
Low End Torque
Multi Element Rear Suspension
Fuel Economy
Loads of Features ( ESP, Traction Control ,Cruise Control , Sun roof.....)
Safety (6 airbags , All wheel discs)

-ves

Bad Resale
Noisy Motor

Skoda Rapid/Vento (prefer Rapid for its better suspension and
Noise/Vibrations)

+ves

- 1.6 CR Engine
- Fuel Economy
- Good resale Value
- Easy to maintain

-ves

- no multi element Suspension
- No Features compared to Laura LnK

Skoda Laura 1.8 Tsi

+ves

- 160 HP , that is serious power
- Newer Technology
- Reliable Engine
- Excellent Brakes

-ves

- Bad Resale
- High fuel Bills

Well, Im confused to the Core. Might well confuse the guys who are going to read this with "What i want" still a mystery.

Engine : 1.8 Tsi
Handling/ Comfort : Lauras(TSI and PD)
FE : Rapid/Laura PD
Features : Laura PD
Resale : Rapid
Easiest to Maintain : Rapid
Safety: Laura PD
Braking : All three are good i guess.
Rear Space: Laura should be slightly better but i didn't find much difference.

PS: I have driven all the Three cars, but still not able to Decide. If i just go with the Heart, i will go for the TSI, but my family is totally Against Petrols. But it is again very hard to decide between PD Laura and Rapid. And again, suddenly i think Petrol is better for me . Im MAd ! [frustration]

And my Octy is for Sale , with Bilstein B6 shocks, 16" 225 Mich Tyres and Petes Box. If anyone would buy it from our Community i would be the Happiest person . And with the Mods, the Car still gives a FE of 15-16 is medium city Traffic. (135-140 km for 8.5 L of diesel). As i said, rear space is my only concern.

So, Finally , if you were Me, what car would you choose ?

If rear space is the concern Rapid/Vento is not the car. Though 3 persons can sit, but its not very comfortable. Better you go for Laura.

Why dont you look for a SUV ? FE might be lower but space will not be constraint.

Thread Starter #3
If rear space is the concern Rapid/Vento is not the car. Though 3 persons can sit, but its not very comfortable. Better you go for Laura.

Why dont you look for a SUV ? FE might be lower but space will not be constraint.
Sorry for not being clear in my first Post. The Real Concern is not sitting 3 at the Back. But the Amount of Legroom. The Octavia has a smaller wheel Base which is 2512 mm vs Rapid with 2552 mm vs Laura 2578mm). I felt Rapid should be Sufficient if not very comfortable.

And about getting an SUV, its a fine choice for Space, but im already spoiled by the High speed Handling of the Octavia with B6 suspension [:D] .

Jeno

If you want BMW like rear space.,then go for Laura 2.0 TDI CR.It is better than old PD engine.And,it gives you better power.If your want new car,go for Vento or Rapid.But,I suggest Vento over Rapid.New Vento's NVH is way better than old one.We have a Vento TDI 2012 used one,bought last year and we are satisfied with Vento.NVH was better than old one.And,you could get an used 2010-11 Laura 2.0 CR TDI for 10-11L.At Hyderabad,similar Laura's were going at this price.BTW,we are also considering one.But,dad said,will get a new car over used one.Because,Vento is also a used one.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
If you want BMW like rear space.,then go for Laura 2.0 TDI CR.It is better than old PD engine.And,it gives you better power.If your want new car,go for Vento or Rapid.But,I suggest Vento over Rapid.New Vento's NVH is way better than old one.We have a Vento TDI 2012 used one,bought last year and we are satisfied with Vento.NVH was better than old one.And,you could get an used 2010-11 Laura 2.0 CR TDI for 10-11L.At Hyderabad,similar Laura's were going at this price.BTW,we are also considering one.But,dad said,will get a new car over used one.Because,Vento is also a used one.
Thanks for your Valuable Input. After your input, If we are looking at Rapid/Vento, i will go with eyes closed and buy the better Maintained car or better VFM (used car price).

The reason why im considering older PD is because of the Tune-ability. With pd160 turbo and few sensors, and a Remap , the Car can do 160 hp at ease without affecting the Reliability. And the total costs is less than the Newer Laura.

And one more question, does the Newer Laura has better Brakes than the Older one ?

Thanks,
Jeno

Well , My Octavia is doing fine, i have no heart to sell her, but as our Family have a big Body Frame, Rear seats are not just Enough for them. Hence we are looking for a Car with Similar Character (Strong build / Safe/ Handler) but with better Rear Space. Only Used cars will fit my Bill.
So, Finally , if you were Me, what car would you choose ?
If you feel rear seat space is not enough in Octy then probably you have to look at used one of 2 segments above[;)]. Eventhough laura has slightly better space and legroom, I will wait and save few more and buy a used superb which will be well worthy of upgrade.
If it has to be new one, then I will go for Sunny or Scala if I am in your situation.

Thread Starter #7
If you feel rear seat space is not enough in Octy then probably you have to look at used one of 2 segments above[;)]. Eventhough laura has slightly better space and legroom, I will wait and save few more and buy a used superb which will be well worthy of upgrade.
If it has to be new one, then I will go for Sunny or Scala if I am in your situation.
I have driven and experienced a 2.0 DSG Superb. It , for sure lives up to its Name. But maintaining it would be a bigger pain than Buying it. And finding a well maintained one is also tough.

Again, Im not looking for "very comfortable Rear Seats" as First preference. All i need is ENOUGH rear space for 6 footers. Handling is my first preference as i will be driving alone most of the time, but during long drives, my family will be with me. So, the Space in the Octavia is not just Enough.

WOW, i forgot about Sunny/Scala , thanks for the suggestion . How does the Sunny/Scala Handle at high speeds ? 1.5 dci motor should be ENOUGH. But im more concerned about the Handling / Precise Steering at high speeds. As said earlier, Im spoiled by the Road Manners of the Road Hugging Octavia at 150 + speeds.

In simpler words, any car which can Match the Handling of Octavia , with better rear space. ?

Thanks a lot Again.
Jeno

In simpler words, any car which can Match the Handling of Octavia , with better rear space. ?

Thanks a lot Again.
Jeno
I can't comment on the ride & handling of scala or sunny as I haven't driven them but at this segment it has to be Linea but laura diesel would be PERFECT or if its 1.8Tsi , it is even more better[;)].
Give a try for TD of linea with your family members before going for laura though.

Top Bottom