Mahindra XUV500 or Nissan Terrano

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Dear all,

I am planning to buy a SUV, got stuck in deciding the final one.
Need your valuable inputs. Would like to thank everyone in advance for your valuable time.
1. Firstly I came across SUV vs sedan debate, then finalized SUV for looks, ground clearance, safety and like to own one since i have already used a sedan(Accent) and hatchback(swift). But still have an eye on new Honda City always :(
2. Secondly, in SUV segment i have test driven some of them in following is what i feel personally.
Safari - Didnt like interiors, less equipment, no integrated music player, body roll in highways and after sales issues and heard maintanance is costly
a. Innova - Suspension is too good, seems like more good to be for chauffeur driven car, engine noise, plain exterior and interior
b. Scorpio - No interest shown by family members
c. Duster - No VFM, Interiors not attractive, didnt like exterior much (personal taste), Interior doesn't look premium but suspension and ride quality is good
d. Terrano - Exteriors i liked, interiors are too odd, suspension is very good, Rear leg room is average, good mileage, but no VFM
e. XUV500 - Exteriors and interiors i liked a lot, very well equiped with lot of options, VFM, Seating comfort is good. But compared to terrano ride quality and suspension is poor.

So based on above i finalized XUV500 W6 and Terrano 85XL Plus D in my list.
XUV500 for exterior looks, interiors esp the waterfall console design, powerful engine, 17" wheels, rear AC, additional 3rd row in case if i want to accomodate on need basis, spacious 3rd row with inclined seats, steering mounted controls, auto AC and other electronics like cruise control etc. Even the key looks premium too :)
Terrano for exterior looks and mainly ride quality and suspension. Nothing else.
Just confused whether to go with ride quality and suspension of terrano or with lots of likes and features of XUV500.
Please find my requirements as below and suggest your inputs.

> Your Budget: 12 - 14.5 Lakhs on road

> New or Used: New car

> Your Location: Bangalore

> Top Five Priorities: Safety, Comfort, Low Maintenance, Good after sales service, premium looks and Design

> Monthly Running: Between 1,000 – 1300 Kms per month

> Type of Fuel: Diesel

> For What Purpose: For office i use my bike due to traffic. Car will be used only
on saturday and sunday. Monthly on highway Bangalore-Chennai-Bangalore.

> Seating Capacity: Mostly 2 adults + occasionally family rides (with 5 to 6 Adults) once in three months

> Type of Segment: SUV

Although I do not know much about the Terrano, I would vote for XUV 500. My brother owns this beast and what a power house it is. I believe under its segment, there is no other car which offers so many features. If you are going to ride especially on the Highways, then features like electronic stabality, Decent control (for the hills) are really awesome.

The ride quality is good and comfortable. My bro drives long distances and in approx 1 year of its ownership have not heard him complaining. I need to check with him on tehafter sales of mahindra though

XUV definitely has a edge in terms of passenger capacity when you need to seat 6 adults but ride and handling cannot match the Terrano. But, you will find the interior of XUV to be feature rich and premium compared to Terrano.

My suggestion would be ,
Go for XUV500 if you can afford after all ride and handling is not that poor in XUV500 but when you get used to the terrano or duster's ride then nothing under 30L comes even close to it.

So, its your pick if you travel over broken roads most of the time then terrano else XUV500 is better in terms of overall package.

Have you driven the shortlisted ones, firstly test drive them and see which one clicks for you.
Xuv has the better seating capacity with all the bells and whistles while terrano would give you best ride and handling of the two, having said that does not mean xuv is bad in that.
Test drive both and see which one suits your needs better.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
Thanks for your inputs. I drove XUV500 for a couple of times and recently took test drive of Terrano. During Terrano ride i felt the suspension being very good and handles neatly in bad, scrapped roads. Also noticed engine being smooth and less noisy (85PS).
Then later I went to Mahindra showroom and drove XUV500 once, i can make out the difference of ride quality/suspension (Terrano being good). But the look and feel of XUV500 exterior/interior, rear seat comfort (space + inclination option + Flat floor) and features we get for the money (like 130PS power, auto AC, reac AC vents, front arm rest, 8 way driver adjust seat etc etc) making me difficult to compare and conclude [frustration].
It is certainly stands pretty much like:: XUV500 VFM, looks, premium features VS Terrano's ride quality/suspension!!
[confused]

Hii , Go for Mahindra XUV500 . It has more space , better engine , better reliability . It has more better ride than any other compact SUVs

Thanks for your inputs. I drove XUV500 for a couple of times and recently took test drive of Terrano. During Terrano ride i felt the suspension being very good and handles neatly in bad, scrapped roads. Also noticed engine being smooth and less noisy (85PS).
Then later I went to Mahindra showroom and drove XUV500 once, i can make out the difference of ride quality/suspension (Terrano being good). But the look and feel of XUV500 exterior/interior, rear seat comfort (space + inclination option + Flat floor) and features we get for the money (like 130PS power, auto AC, reac AC vents, front arm rest, 8 way driver adjust seat etc etc) making me difficult to compare and conclude [frustration].
It is certainly stands pretty much like:: XUV500 VFM, looks, premium features VS Terrano's ride quality/suspension!!
[confused]
actually XUV is 140 ps for power output.

Thread Starter #10
Thank you guys. Finally decided to go for XUV500 reason being powerful engine, features, space and VFM. Actually have decided between two colors black or silver.
Black has beige interiors and silver has got black interiors. I heard black is difficult to maintain, absorbs more heat and car is invisible during night.
I understand it is a personal choice, but still exterior appearance generally matters a lot based on color. Can you guys please post your opinion on which color does XUV looks good?

Thank you guys. Finally decided to go for XUV500 reason being powerful engine, features, space and VFM. Actually have decided between two colors black or silver.
Black has beige interiors and silver has got black interiors. I heard black is difficult to maintain, absorbs more heat and car is invisible during night.
I understand it is a personal choice, but still exterior appearance generally matters a lot based on color. Can you guys please post your opinion on which color does XUV looks good?
Go for the black it makes a style statement

bhvm

Honoured Member
white gets my vote. otherwise please look for arctic blue, it's very rare and exclusive!

Thread Starter #14
I am not fortunate to get those color option [roll] I am going to purchase W6 variant, so options are Black, Silver, Red and Dolphin gray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom