Need Suggestions on Buying a Used Lancer GLX-D

Thread Starter #1
HI Experts,

Good day!. One of my neighbours has lancer glxd(diesel) 1998 model grey color. I have taken the test drive and felt good. Engine seems smooth and drive was comfortable.

The Positives and features are
1. Has alloy wheels and tubeless tires (seems releatively new tires too)
2. Good music system with amplifier
3. No vibrations (of engine) inside the engine bay and no vibrations inside the cabin too.
4. Powersteering and 4 power windows
4. He quoted the millage as 18KMPL (not sure if lancer really gives) on highways.
5. I felt comfortable when i took test drive

The other sides are
1. The engine ran around 1.14L kms
2. Windshied has a cracks in it.
3. when AC is switched on, the rpm is going above 2
4. RC papers have expired but he said he will get it done and give me if i am willing to take.
5. He bought the car around 1.5 years back.
6. He is quoting 1.6L(Neg) for the car.

Other than this i didn`t find any issues.

My daily drive will be around 60Kms per day.

Can you guys please suggest me
If it is a good decision to go for lancer?
How will be the maintainance of it?
Are parts so costly?
what would be lancer millage in city.

Since he is known to our family since i was kid, i am having some positive opinion on the car.

I am totally confused. can you guys help me [:)]

Thanks
Vijay Bhargav

Re: Need Suggestion on buying lancer GLXD

Hii , You can buy lancer but be aware of its future problems. Spare parts and servicing could be an issue. As you said its more than 1 lakh on odo . I would not recommend it . As your daily drive is around 60 Km ,Buy another car if possible .

I would advise you to absolutely stay away from this. Driving around 2000 km per month you may face lot of issues of breakdowns and so. Spares and service are bound to be costly. Also it is already 1.14 lacs done.

If your budget is with 2 lacs try to find used CNG hatchback which is more sensible.

Lancer, over a lac, and that too a Diesel, I wont recommend that to you.

Reasons: Scanty dealership network. You can get the car serviced at local centre but what happens when some part goes kaput. Lancer spares in grey market wont be that easy to get. So be informed of all these fact and decide for yourself if you want to go for this car.

My experience with driving a lancer D is very less (less than a km). However that small drive led me to believe that the car struggles to pull with AC on. Please correct me guys, I may be wrong, but the car I drove was pretty new.

Thread Starter #6
I would advise you to absolutely stay away from this. Driving around 2000 km per month you may face lot of issues of breakdowns and so. Spares and service are bound to be costly. Also it is already 1.14 lacs done.

If your budget is with 2 lacs try to find used CNG hatchback which is more sensible.
Thanks for the info anshuman8. But CNG availiblility is a problem here in Hyderabad and i wanted to go for a diesel car. I am still searching.

I will post the pics soon to have better picture of the vehicle :)

Also, Can some one please suggest me a vehicle around 1.5 to 2Lks ? preferably diesel [:)]. I can only see Indica DLS, DLG. Am i missing any other?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info anshuman8. But CNG availiblility is a problem here in Hyderabad and i wanted to go for a diesel car. I am still searching.

I will post the pics soon to have better picture of the vehicle :)

Also, Can some one please suggest me a vehicle around 1.5 to 2Lks ? preferably diesel [:)]. I can only see Indica DLS, DLG. Am i missing any other?
At this price point you can get only used TATA vehicles. (Indica/Indigo/Sumo/Marina)

If you can try to find used Esteem D or Zen D, though maintenance will be a headache but still you can get along.

Avoid any Skoda, Hyundai, GM, Fiat cars as their spares are expensive and scarce.

HI Experts,

The Positives and features are
4. He quoted the millage as 18KMPL (not sure if lancer really gives) on highways.

The other sides are
1. The engine ran around 1.14L kms
6. He is quoting 1.6L(Neg) for the car.
Hi Vijay Bhargav,

Lancer Diesel is having mileage around 18KMPL.
I have the same model vehicle, and getting around that.
Petrol engine will peacefully run more than 3Lakhs Kilo Meters. Why 3 Lakhs? I know personally, one of my friend is having Lancer Petrol with over 3L KMs without any issues.

The quoted price is reasonable.
Lancer is a good vehicle. You need to check after sales from Mitsubishi at your place.

Thread Starter #9
At this price point you can get only used TATA vehicles. (Indica/Indigo/Sumo/Marina)

If you can try to find used Esteem D or Zen D, though maintenance will be a headache but still you can get along.

Avoid any Skoda, Hyundai, GM, Fiat cars as their spares are expensive and scarce.
Thanks Anshuman8. I wanted to look for Tata Indica (other than silver and white [;)] ) as first priority. can you please tell me the maintainance of Zen DI ? From one of my mechanic, i heard that its maintainance is very heavy on pocket. is it true?

Thread Starter #10
Hi Vijay Bhargav,

Lancer Diesel is having mileage around 18KMPL.
I have the same model vehicle, and getting around that.
Petrol engine will peacefully run more than 3Lakhs Kilo Meters. Why 3 Lakhs? I know personally, one of my friend is having Lancer Petrol with over 3L KMs without any issues.

The quoted price is reasonable.
Lancer is a good vehicle. You need to check after sales from Mitsubishi at your place.
Thanks Mathew. I have once after sales service station near my office. I am only worried about the maintainance. I liked the car when i test drived.

Can you please share some info on the maintainance of the vehiche? Also are the spare parts cost, availability of the parts(both with dealer as well as in grey market)
P.S: I can not afford more on maintainance [cry]

Last edited:
I guess you get advise on this from our member Gurrala74 as his family still owns one Zen D in Hyderabad. I guess the maintenance might be costlier than TATA vehicles but not impossible to source parts.

Thread Starter #12
Hi Guys,

I have shortlisted the following cars. Please give me the suggestion [:)]

1. Lancer GLX-D (only the one i have test drived)
2. Tata Indica (DLS/DLG/any other model ?. need to start searching for good vehicle)
3. Fiat Punto Diesel(Need suggestion)
4. Esteem/ Zen DI (need suggestion)

Hi Guys,

I have shortlisted the following cars. Please give me the suggestion [:)]

1. Lancer GLX-D (only the one i have test drived)
2. Tata Indica (DLS/DLG/any other model ?. need to start searching for good vehicle)
3. Fiat Punto Diesel(Need suggestion)
4. Esteem/ Zen DI (need suggestion)
If you have the budget for puntoD then go for it.

LancerD is a good buy at this price as per your posted conditions.
This Mitsubishi engine will go for a minimum of 3L kms on periodic oil change.
The diesel pump and the nozzle overhauling may require within these kms but not that costly.
Every spare of lancer are easily available cheap back here at kerala and TN.
A good condition lancerD will fetch you 18+mileage in highways.

Last edited:
Hai bro you can go for it but it will be a sluggish to drive especially the diesel variant .
And about the spare parts we can get it in TN and Kerala .
I own a lancer petrol and really happy with it till now it had reached around 1 lakh kms no issues except regular service .

For that matter any diesel car can give upto 18 kmpl. FE is not a factor with any diesel car.

I doubt you would get any Punto for less than 3.5-4.0 lacs.

If you can stretch your budget to 2.5-3.0 lacs you can include Palio D (MJD) version in your list.

Last edited:

Top Bottom