Buying a Used Mahindra Scorpio SLE White

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,,

I owned a 2010 M Eagle Xylo white which I already took to Leh Ladakh and was always to have a Scorpio colored white for this always keen to have deal of used scorpio in reliable source.

I am looking to buy a scorpio from so long, was waiting for Facelift which is around the corner, but seems it’s just a Facelift, it’s going to price high so decided to buy used and replace the headlamps, Bumper & Tail Lamp.

Somehow i never get such deal, but yesterday one of my neighbor has agreed to change his SUV, He already bought new Wagon R.

I used to tell him whenever you want to sell your Scorpio please ask me first, by that he asked me first quoted the price for 6,00,000 /- said for others it will be more than 6.25 Lakhs

Here are the details:
Its SLE BS-IV Variant, April 2011 -
Its Diamond White, - Liked
20140203_172702.jpg
7 Seat, Bucket seat in 3rd Row, - Was looking for Captain Seat or Flat bench in 3rd Row
20140203_172758.jpg
20140203_172808.jpg
Odo has 96000 KMS - Yes car is used as they drive Surat – Bharuch mostly – Its seems to be issue
Rims are changed from stock to Sumo Grande steel wheels (as per them its looks like alloys) – Didn’t liked
20140203_174826.jpg
Front tires are new Apollo Hawk - Only 2000 Kms run, other 3 tires are used.
20140203_175020.jpg
Insurance 3rd Party till April – Not an Issue
Fog lamp are get dirt Yellowish due to rain or what ?? – can be Replacing
20140203_174755.jpg
Headlamps too become Pale Yellow. – Can be replace
20140203_174813.jpg
Decals become dark & Pale Yellow - Decals are after market,
20140203_174808.jpg
Engine seems smooth not that much vibrations or Clattering sound.
20140203_175020.jpg
AC didn't check all way, Battery from stock, Interior are clean compare to exterior, Floor matt is clean, Roof line is clean, even Side handle bars are not dirty,
Electric ORVM working, Scratches in ORVM
Side Cladding has scratches at the corners, Decals are old
20140203_174838.jpg

Steel guard is junked and damaged the Bumper little bit,
20140203_174804.jpg
20140203_174755.jpg
I have already inquire the car history form our local Mahindra Workshop,
But the Service manager quoted me price for 5.25 Lakhs,
He said car has already run 1 Lakh Odo now Scorpio will starts the niggles and problems, the car of life is just 1.5 Lakh Odo.

Asking to others they said price is fair enough try to negotiate till 5.80 Lakhs, but i don't think the owner will go that low, Secondly payment will be partial too,

Now I am in middle of this Deal, My brother is too neutral,

Things which I liked
Its White, Its SLE, Inerior is clean, No major marks on vehicle,
Registration number of Scorpio is 5600 where my Xylo 600 & Eeco has 6600. So I got that 600 sequence.

Things which disliked
The Exterior is not that much shiney looks older than my 2010 Xylo,
Headlamps & Decals been pale, Seats are 7 side facing Buckets,
Paint got dull, Rims are not stocked,

Now I am not a expert about Engine so just called to one friend who was in Carnation as manager today he will Inspect the car, let see what comes out. Because Engine, Shockers, all these are main, other cosmetics things can be replaced,

I am attaching the pics,

Please give me more suggestion for this deal.

Attachments

a friend of mine has got 2011 SLE Scorpo model which has done 38000 kms in Pune from OLX for around 4,50,000 i think 6 is over priced 5,00,000 is the correct price for this as vehicle has already done 1,00,000 kms I think play a patience game if you show as if you are in hurry then he wont negotiate. I dont think he will get a buyer at 6.25 L so dont hurry

Thread Starter #3
@konkantrip

Thanks Bro for replying me,

Yes the price really seems high, even checked with Insurance Value (IDV) was 5.37 Lakhs,

I just text him for 5.10 lakhs, and said the car has 100000 KMS , plus car condition doesn't seems that better.

Let see I don't think he will able to sell the car in that low price. He has better contacts may be he will able to sell the car around 6 Lakhs,

So i think will wait for another deal.

Is anyone can tell me what was the price of Scorpio SLE during 2011.
May be 9.50 Lakhs ??

I see the car has been abused and used. the wheels rims are not original, there are scratches around the car and the kms run is around 1 lakh kms.

For that price , there should be much better options available in the used market.

overall gist. it should be around 5 - 5.5L max including all transfer charges.

Thread Starter #5
I see the car has been abused and used. the wheels rims are not original, there are scratches around the car and the kms run is around 1 lakh kms.

For that price , there should be much better options available in the used market.

overall gist. it should be around 5 - 5.5L max including all transfer charges.
So I am in Dilemma.

Will go today evening with detail inspection with one of my expert friend,
Owner is honest he said that wheels changed due to Stock wheels were out of alignment had punctured once and they drove the car for long. He change to TATA sumo grande, I have no idea that the wheels is able to fix any wheel Cap.

If the deals closed below 5.5 Lakhs Expecting around (5.10 to 5.25L)
Few things which are immediate required.

All Decals will be removed, Number Plate, Guard to remove, Cheap Chrome accessories to be remove, Fog lamp to replace, wheels cap required, two rear tires required, Paint Job for touch up,

As per him its non accidental car, didn't find any color difference or Panel Gap,

let see
What Gods want
If I will be lucky may be able to have the deal near 5.10 lakhs

Apart from these i checked with my Finance for Loan.
He advised me to Top up the existing loan which is about to get complete in 7 Months of My Xylo.

From the picture , the car looks accident free. The bonnet lines are straight.
Check the market price and negotiate.

I am keeping a tab on this thread. Hope this continues as ownership thread too.

So I am in Dilemma.

Owner is honest he said that wheels changed due to Stock wheels were out of alignment had punctured once and they drove the car for long. He change to TATA sumo grande, I have no idea that the wheels is able to fix any wheel Cap.
No offense meant, but the wheel rims look cheapo, would suggest you to opt for alloys

All Decals will be removed, Number Plate, Guard to remove, Cheap Chrome accessories to be remove, Fog lamp to replace, wheels cap required, two rear tires required, Paint Job for touch up,

Agree with the bold part.

As mentioned earlier, would recommend you to opt for alloys along with new tires.

Wheel caps are known to fall off, and getting a single one would be a task.

All the Best.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
ilango[speed thirst];364119 said:
From the picture , the car looks accident free. The bonnet lines are straight.
Check the market price and negotiate.

I am keeping a tab on this thread. Hope this continues as ownership thread too.
@Speedthrist - Yes the car has no accident history check with Insurance claim & M&M service customer history.

No major Dent found anywhere except few color been fade from Side cladding.
Yes the bonnet line – Panel gaps are even.
I am hoping too to have this car. Just crossing my fingers for now.

No offense meant, but the wheel rims look cheapo, would suggest you to opt for alloys

Agree with the bold part.

As mentioned earlier, would recommend you to opt for alloys along with new tires.

Wheel caps are known to fall off, and getting a single one would be a task.

All the Best.

@superbad - Yesterday went for detail inspection.

My brother said he will replace the Wheels with originals.

Few things found
Rear Wiper is not properly touched to Glass.
There is sound of Engine Belt.
Hand Brake light doesn't go off - Owner says the switch socket is has some error.
3 power windows are not working - Problem is switches.
Shockers are fine.
Turbo is working fine.
AC is fine but not that much effective.

After inspection in details with my friend he said the price of 5.30 Lakhs and the problems will solve by us to owner.
Owner brother was too there he said we bought the car for 11 Lakh in 2011 and now price just for half in just 3 years

My friend smartly answered him said car looks 5 years old, car already been used closed to 1 lakh KMS.

Owner quoted last 5.60 Lakhs (Car registration number is 5600 so he decided to closed the deal with that figure)

Last we quoted now 5.40 Lakhs let see.

This is my final price I won’t get high after this 5.40 enough for the Scorpio.
Because after that
I have to purchase a full comprehensive insurance which going to price some 15000.
5 Wheels Rims,
Power Window to repair.
Engine belt issue to solve.

Never come in to the trap of " I had paid this last time and now its so less" point. It is over 1 Lakh kilometer used and that means they have made the maximum out of this car. If the car was driven 30-40 K kms it would be a different story. I am surprised your mechanic said 5.3 L. for the car.
Anyway don't pay a Rupee more.

Its definitely an abused vehicle .Why should somebody change all the rims of a vehicle ?
Go slow and be cautious .The AC may also require an overhaul as per your data.

a mhawk of my freind has done 156,000 and it's due for a major engine work. overall after 100,000 the car may not be in perfect condition. did you check for odo tampering?

Thread Starter #11
Never come in to the trap of " I had paid this last time and now its so less" point. It is over 1 Lakh kilometer used and that means they have made the maximum out of this car. If the car was driven 30-40 K kms it would be a different story. I am surprised your mechanic said 5.3 L. for the car.
Anyway don't pay a Rupee more.

Its definitely an abused vehicle .Why should somebody change all the rims of a vehicle ?
Go slow and be cautious .The AC may also require an overhaul as per your data.
@generlmax:

I know 5.3 Lakh is bit more, the friend of mine said 5 Lakh first but after all negotiation he said 5.30 is Maximum for this car in my behalf.

My brother is really want this car due to number sequence "600".

He even message the owner last will be 5.40 Lakhs.

I told to my brother now that now please don't raise any amount we already pricing high for that Car.

Owner still looking some 5.60 Figure

a mhawk of my freind has done 156,000 and it's due for a major engine work. overall after 100,000 the car may not be in perfect condition. did you check for odo tampering?

My Xylo has run more than 85000 KMS, but the condition is too way good.

Regarding engine in my xylo has some repairs like
Hard Clutch,
Oil leak from Gear Box.

@superbad -
AC is fine but not that much effective.(
cost of around 10 k if its the condensor leak.

Owner brother was too there he said we bought the car for 11 Lakh in 2011 and now price just for half in just 3 years
straight bluff. mine is jan 2012 scorpio SLE white and the OTR then was less than 10 lacs.

Owner quoted last 5.60 Lakhs (Car registration number is 5600 so he decided to closed the deal with that figure)

Last we quoted now 5.40 Lakhs let see.

This is my final price I won’t get high after this 5.40 enough for the Scorpio.
Because after that
I have to purchase a full comprehensive insurance which going to price some 15000.
5 Wheels Rims,
Power Window to repair.
Engine belt issue to solve.
i say it again get the alloys, rims with tendency of the wheel caps to fall off would look ugly.
look for after market alloys, should cost around should cost around 20k max.

power windows switches, AC look for aftermarket ones or if in warranty (extended) get them done at A.$.$ for free.

Last edited:
So I am in Dilemma.

As per him its non accidental car, didn't find any color difference or Panel Gap,

let see
What Gods want
If I will be lucky may be able to have the deal near 5.10 lakhs

Apart from these i checked with my Finance for Loan.
He advised me to Top up the existing loan which is about to get complete in 7 Months of My Xylo.
I do not know whether you had finalized the deal, but i would advise you to stay away from the car. You may incur heavy maintenance expenses in future.

The change of wheels seem to be fishy , if any 1 or 2 went out of alignment he could have changed with Scorpio steel wheels again, why Sumo Grande that too all 4 (or 5) ? Maybe he had alloys which he sold off and got these as replacement.

Thread Starter #14
I do not know whether you had finalized the deal, but i would advise you to stay away from the car. You may incur heavy maintenance expenses in future.

The change of wheels seem to be fishy , if any 1 or 2 went out of alignment he could have changed with Scorpio steel wheels again, why Sumo Grande that too all 4 (or 5) ? Maybe he had alloys which he sold off and got these as replacement.

No deal is not finalized. last night my brother text him for 5.40 Lakhs.

He said we are too closed with figures just come and close the deal. May be he will convince with 5.50.

I just spoke to my finance HDFC guy even he said the as per valuation car cost 5 lakhs he even said if you looking for scorpio just give me some time i will get you nice deal.

Yes he has changed all 5 Wheels. Reason the wheels were out in align so he changed and choose Grande because he don't want wheel cap.

Personally, Now i have no such interest to buy the car untill if he sell for 5 - 5.10 Lakhs,

But its my brother who wants a Scorpio [frustration] and why only this because the number has "600"

So the all three cars will have 0600-6600-5600.

I think 5.4 lacs is way too high for this car. You may incur immediate expenses of 50-60k after you buy it.

So buying a 1 lac km car for 6L is not a good deal.

Top Bottom