Suggest a New Petrol Car Within 9 lakh OTR.

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys. There is this colleague of mine who is planning to book a new car in the coming weeks. The requirements are as stated below. Please Suggest some options.

> Budget: 7 – 9 Lakh

> New or Used: New Car

> Top Priorities: Safety, Comfort, Reliability

> Monthly Running: Between 1,000 – 1,500 Kms

> Type of Fuel: Petrol

> For What Purpose: Regular

> Seating Capacity: 5

> Type of Segment: Sedan or Hatch

Cars in consideration: Honda City and Volkswagen Vento. More suggestions are welcome

Hi Guys. There is this colleague of mine who is planning to book a new car in the coming weeks. The requirements are as stated below. Please Suggest some options.

> Budget: 7 – 9 Lakh

> New or Used: New Car

> Top Priorities: Safety, Comfort, Reliability

> Monthly Running: Between 1,000 – 1,500 Kms

> Type of Fuel: Petrol

> For What Purpose: Regular

> Seating Capacity: 5

> Type of Segment: Sedan or Hatch

Cars in consideration: Honda City and Volkswagen Vento. More suggestions are welcome
Looking at the requirements, i think the new Honda City should be the Ideal choice.

Positives :

-> Its Reliable
-> Fuel Efficient
-> One of the best petrol Engines sub 10 L
-> the model is very new, adding up to re sale value.
-> Its Safe
-> Neutral Ride/Handling
-> Loaded with features

Negatives :

-> Wont feel as solid as Vento/Rapid
-> Not as comfortable as the Sunny
-> Not as good as Vento/Rapid in handling

Despite the negatives, i think City is a all round package, if your friend is looking for ONLY a petrol. But i would also like your friend to consider the Nissan Sunny if comfort is more important than Handling, it also comes at a lower price.

But with monthly Running 1000-1500 , i would look at the Diesels too. (Vento/Rapid are well rounded packages).

Jeno.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Looking at the requirements, i think the new Honda City should be the Ideal choice.

Despite the negatives, i think City is a all round package, if your friend is looking for ONLY a petrol. But i would also like your friend to consider the Nissan Sunny if comfort is more important than Handling, it also comes at a lower price.

But with monthly Running 1000-1500 , i would look at the Diesels too. (Vento/Rapid are well rounded packages).

Jeno.
Thank you Jeno for pointing out the positives and negetives of the city. And yes He is strictly wanting only petrol. And now, since its a petrol I had suggested him the city. I have believed that if its a petrol then its a honda you are looking at.But when we can get a 1.6L comfortline Vento at the same price as the City SV model which is a 1.2L. Its kinda dilemma.

Last edited:
IMO If your friend wants a reliable fuss free petrol sedan/hatch in 7- 9 lakh budget, it should be from Honda or Suzuki (maruti). He can get only the base model of all new city in his budget i.e. E MT iVtec. It has ABS with EBD and driver side airbag and a bare bone interior. It will be better if he can stretch his budget a bit more and get the S MT model.

Or, he can get the fully loaded SX4 ZXi from maruti. But it is old car. If look does not matter he can see the fully loaded Dezire ZXi also.

Note: I assumed 7 - 9 L as mentioned by you is OTR price

Last edited:
Thank you Jeno for pointing out the positives and negetives of the city. And yes He is strictly wanting only petrol. And now, since its a petrol I had suggested him the city. I have believed that if its a petrol then its a honda you are looking at.But when we can get a 1.6L comfortline Vento at the same price as the City SV model which is a 1.2L. Its kinda dilemma.
If Im not Wrong, City Petrol comes only with 1.5 i-Vtec 120 hp Engine. Which i think has the best in class bhp/ton. And the Vento/Rapid comes with 1.6 mpi Engines generating 105 hp and similar amount of Torque to honda City but a little earlier.

If you compare both the Engines Head on Head , i think the Honda City wins in almost all the aspects, power, efficiency and reliability.

Jeno

Thread Starter #8
IMO If your friend wants a reliable fuss free petrol sedan/hatch in 7- 9 lakh budget, it should be from Honda or Suzuki (maruti). He can get only the base model of all new city in his budget i.e. E MT iVtec. It has ABS with EBD and driver side airbag and a bare bone interior. It will be better if he can stretch his budget a bit more and get the S MT model.

Or, he can get the fully loaded SX4 ZXi from maruti. But it is old car. If look does not matter he can see the fully loaded Dezire ZXi also.

Note: I assumed 7 - 9 L as mentioned by you is OTR price
The OTR can extend to some extent. His dad works for the state govt. and is sure of getting huge discounts on registration and road tax. So that kind of makes up for the limitation in the budget.

^^But Ajay according to me there would be a difference maintenance costs of a City Vs Vento. So he need to look at this aspect too.
+100 to that bro. Maintainence cost wise and also the count of service centres in the area play their part in the decision making. So, Another point that supports the ANHC 2014.
If Im not Wrong, City Petrol comes only with 1.5 i-Vtec 120 hp Engine. Which i think has the best in class bhp/ton. And the Vento/Rapid comes with 1.6 mpi Engines generating 105 hp and similar amount of Torque to honda City but a little earlier.

If you compare both the Engines Head on Head , i think the Honda City wins in almost all the aspects, power, efficiency and reliability.

Jeno
OOps. Sorry buddy. Thats a terrible typo.Yes Its a 1.5L engine. I have this problem. 2 in place of 5 and sometimes 8 instead of 5. [lol]

I will suggest you to go for new city. As on overall package it is better than other in the segment and also is new in the market. It covers all your priorities: Safety, comfort and reliability.
Only suggestion if your running is more towards 1500 per month, then you can even look at diesel.

Thread Starter #11
Thank You guys for all the suggestions. I have test driven the ANHC2014 petrol and loved it. My colleague will test drive it this weekend may be. Will keep you guys posted on the proceedings.

The OTR can extend to some extent. His dad works for the state govt. and is sure of getting huge discounts on registration and road tax. So that kind of makes up for the limitation in the budget.
I never knew Karnataka Govt is generous on its employees to give discounts on road tax.

Since everybody has suggested Honda City, I would second that.

You can also ask them to consider Honda Amaze, Hyundai Verna or Maruti Ertiga

Petrol engine, i would go with the Jap's i-Vtec. Honda City 4th gen is the good option.

Meanwhile, do keep a close check on Auto Expo. Plenty of models expected in our market. Maybe something among them could also fit perfectly in the budget.

Thread Starter #14
I never knew Karnataka Govt is generous on its employees to give discounts on road tax.

Since everybody has suggested Honda City, I would second that.

You can also ask them to consider Honda Amaze, Hyundai Verna or Maruti Ertiga
I had no idea on the generosity either. [;)]
90k is the expected discount [surprise]
Isnt a discount exatly

Last edited:
I had no idea on the generosity either. [;)]
90k is the expected discount [surprise]
Isnt a discount exatly
I do not think it is a discount or waiver. Only handicapped people get 100% waiver of road tax in KA.

Maybe he is doing some "understanding" with RTO officials. I would be interested to know how is the waiver/discount given.

Please let me know by PM if you come to know.

Top Bottom