Need Suggestions on Buying a Used Safari

Thread Starter #1
Hello. I'm searching for a used Safari and found one. 2007 Nov registered Safari EX black colour which is 58000 km run. Vehicle looks gud exterior. I've checked under the hood and looks fine. No traces of rust. Seat covers are good. Took a test drive and I did not find any weird sounds. He is quoting 5 lac which I negotiated to 4.25 lac. He claims to have got the vehicle serviced 2 months back.I'm planing to take a Mechanic tomorrow to show the vehicle to check if there is any problem or if it is accident free. What do you all suggest? Should I go for it if the mechanic gives a clean chit??? Please do help me out. Thank you all

Last edited by a moderator:
need suggestion on buying used Safari

6 year old Safari no matter what model it is does not deserved more than 3.5 lacs. For me, I would not have given a penny more than 3 lacs for this vehicle.

Thread Starter #3
need suggestion on buying used Safari

yes... actually according to the depreciation value the car should cost about 3.5 lakhs. but the vehicle looks really good. so I'm in a fix. just in a dilemma. other cars which I look for are also similarly high priced if they run low. but most of the vehicles which I find are heavily run like about 80000 and above. I did ask him for 4 lakh. but he did not move below 4.25 lakh. I'll surely keep your suggestion in mind. thank you so much.

Tata Safari is one of the most VFM pre-worshiped SUV to own for the starters. However anything above 4 lacs would be expensive for a 6yrs old car and that too a Safari. Please keep in mind the maintenance cost of pre-worshiped Safari which is a bit higher than other SUVs.

since it's a 2007 model, i guess it's a 3 liter engine. the cost of the vechile should be about 3.50 to 3.80. i got a dicor 2.2 ex 2008 model for 3.90 with 48,000 kilometres. try negotiating the cost. 3 liter is a born to deliver engine. 3.70 should be the exact price.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
yes Akash. that's true too. yeah I will keep in mind about the maintenance costs.
hi pravin. it is 2.2 dicor. and I'm sorry about the km run. it is 48000. it was a mistype in the first thread. the owner claims it to be sparingly used. how is your car pravin? when did you buy it? could you please Post your ownership review or atleast your experience with the vehicle so far. You still feel 3.8 lak should be the price for a 2.2 lt dicor which is 2007 Nov registered?

Last edited:
While buying these type of vehicles before you bargain check the state of the vehicle like

1)Accident free ?
2)Panel paints (color difference)?
3)Documentation
4)Axle sounds and under body.
5)Service history(He may have kept bills)
6)Tires
7)An estimate for immediate maintenance
8)A mechanic testing the car is a good idea.If you have a friend in second hand car market that will be the best.
9)Ask around or check in websites for an estimated price.

After that you bargain .
I am not saying here that additional 20-30 K you give is wrong.
That may be the price that you are paying for a well maintained vehicle.
But be clear that you are not being fooled.
There is business trick for bargaining.(Start 10 to 15% lesser than what you want to pay )
Any way at that price no one else is going to buy that car.
And you can be happy you get it at a lower price if you do wait for some more time.

[cheers]

You can find my ownership review at http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-pre-owned-tata-safari-ex-white-elephant.html

i was in the hunt only for a hatch back. some how i ended with the safari. the car is awesome. exceptional ride quality. only thing is it's a bit difficult to drive in B2B traffic and gears are harder when compared to hatch backs and sedans. got a best mileage of 15.8 without ac on highway with 6 people and 15 with ac. i got the car with 48,000 kms on december 2013 and till now i have done 7000 kms. the car is really good. the car is running in stock duelers. i will change it after another 3000 kilometres.

Thread Starter #9
hi generalmax. thank you for the valuable information. I will surely check all the points you mentioned before buying the car.

Thread Starter #10
hi pravin. you got an awesome deal...2008 nov/3.9 lakhs seriously awesome. its superb. You even have a decent player from the previous owner. the truck which i'm talking about doesnt even have a player. it'll again cost me a good amount of money for it. how did u get your car checked before taking it? I mean the km run as well as the critical parts.? thank you

i first checked the reading on the odo and then went to the service centre and checked for the same. got the service history from showroom by paying 250. took a well qualified diesel mechanic who works with suv' and volvo buses. got the idea from him and he is the one who quoted a price of around 3.80 to 4.

we did a extensive running of more than 15 kms on highway and tested the car and suspension and the mechanic told the word "pakka"( good, no problems).

Thread Starter #12
I did the same pravin. took the car to Tata motors assured n got it checked by an consultant there. he checked the vehicle n gave a thumbs up :-D the car is bit over priced but found a good vehicle after a long time.

I did the same pravin. took the car to Tata motors assured n got it checked by an consultant there. he checked the vehicle n gave a thumbs up :-D the car is bit over priced but found a good vehicle after a long time.
I know what you are talking about. the online car evaluation for my car is only 350,000. but most of the safari's are priced steeply and owners don't negotiate much.my ex-owner quoted a price of 450,000 at first. then i bargained

safari is a car that you buy from your heart not from your mind.

Hi All,

I have posted this message thrice, hopefully I am on a right thread and will get my answers here. I own a Maruti Esteem 2001 Model. I am always fescinated by the fact of owning a Tata Safari, I cannot go for a new one as my pocket doesn't allow that as of now.

Here is the deal I have 2002 Model, Black Colour, Odo :- 1.35 Lakh and price tag is 1.3. What should I keep in Mind to get the deal finalized and is price tag genuine?

P.S :- I have the pics too, let me know, if would like to have a look.

Vishal Kanv

Top Bottom