Compact UV For Rs.8 - 10 Lakhs (Ertiga, Duster or Ecosport)

Thread Starter #1
Hello Friends,

Recently I was running a thread Do I need to upgrade my Wagon-R, asking if I need to upgrade my 8+ year old wagon-R. After taking all the inputs I have decided to upgrade my car, considering safety becomes top priority as this car will carry my kids 95% of time.

> Budget: 8 - 10 lakhs ex-showroom (would love closer to 8 but definetly don't want to stretch beyond 10)

> New or Used: New

> Location: Chennai

> Top Five Priorities: Safety, Comfort, Low Maintenance, VFM

> Monthly Running: 400km - 500km (with a 1000 km tours 2-3 no.s in a year)

> Type of Fuel: Petrol (preferred, but open to Diesel if makes sense)

> For What Purpose: 100% Family Car

> Seating Capacity: 3 Adults 2 Kids (+1 adult and +2 kids occasionally preferred - not must)

> Type of Segment: MUV - getting in out should be easier, have mother in family.

I hope, with such a low mileage requirements Petrol automatically becomes my choice. I did bit of study and found Suzuki Ertiga, Ford Ecosport and Renault Duster will come to party.

Putting together some points I have found.

Ertiga
+ After sales service
+ Additional seating capacity ( not in my 'must' list but as a typical Indian you love this)
+ Value for money
- Looks are of reminding some other cars in each angle

Ecoport
+ The ecoboost 1.0 engine is technically the most advanced (give thumbs up mileage)
+ Contemporary looks
+ Value for money
- Blind spots
- Seating capcity limited to 4 (I think its only four adults .. in my case its 3 Adults and 2 kids... don't know for sure if we all will fit in comfortably)
- After sales service & maintenance ( may not be bad but can't come closer to suzuki)

Duster
+ Space (more legroom and more boot space than others)
+ Driving and handling better than other two
+ Comfortably seats 5 adults
- After sales Service

I have kept away from Sedans for two reasons. I am a 6+ footer, most sedans cage me in, also considering the age of my mother who will find the low built cars difficult to get in and out. Then, driving inside the city, compact UVs might be easier than Sedans ( I am not sure, please guide me here).

But, I may be wrong also in my assumptions about Sedans, I know considering Sedans will open up a lot more choices for me, kindly advice.

Also, I am in no rush for the new vehicle, should I be waiting for some more time to see new contenders?

Re: Compact UV for 8-10 lakhs (ertiga or duster or ecosport)

your requirement is mainly a petrol car plus VFM, low maintenance car and occasionally 1 adult and 2 kids may join you.

Ecosport is very bad for 5 adults, shoulder room is less for 3 adults at back(I checked with my parents before buying Ertiga)

Duster is good for you in-terms of space for 5 adults and loads of luggage and this car got good driving dynamics too so you enjoy drive this car.

Ertiga is good in all aspects. if looks are ok for you then I guess nothing else going to beat Ertiga, it will fill all your needs.

it is better to follow your heart and pick you love.

ertiga looks flimsy and i doubt it as a good safe car. Also pics on accident threads have many ertigas which have mangled up.

ecosport is cramped, and as you said you are 6 footer you may find yourself claustrophobic. Also it is a bit high seating, so may be an issue with your mother.

duster is good, but safety features come in diesel. also the seating area is high. you may use a footstep for easy ingress/egress for your mother

why dont you try a high GC car like SX4. It is solidly built, easy and low cost to mantain

Seating Capacity: 3 Adults 2 Kids (+1 adult and +2 kids occasionally preferred - not must)
to satisfy this criteria only Ertiga will suit you, leaving this point a said then

Duster may be comfortable for you, however I suggest you to take a ride in new Honda City where people say it is more comfortable. Even i have same opinion on Sedans as I am 5'11", but would be going to explore few sedans as they are really comfortable with good grip on road. you can also check Sunny as I drove it already and found a spacious car

Antony you better start a poll so it is easy to know which car got more support.

ertiga looks flimsy and i doubt it as a good safe car. Also pics on accident threads have many ertigas which have mangled up.

ecosport is cramped, and as you said you are 6 footer you may find yourself claustrophobic. Also it is a bit high seating, so may be an issue with your mother.

duster is good, but safety features come in diesel. also the seating area is high. you may use a footstep for easy ingress/egress for your mother

why dont you try a high GC car like SX4. It is solidly built, easy and low cost to mantain
Are you sure that Ertiga is not safe compared to Duster and Ecosport ? I guess we should not divert him but suggest from his list.

to satisfy this criteria only Ertiga will suit you, leaving this point a said then

Duster may be comfortable for you, however I suggest you to take a ride in new Honda City where people say it is more comfortable. Even i have same opinion on Sedans as I am 5'11", but would be going to explore few sedans as they are really comfortable with good grip on road. you can also check Sunny as I drove it already and found a spacious car
Ha ha, you also diluting his choice and he may end-up in confusion if I suggest Verna [:D]

Excuse me icecool? In which way it is flimsy as you say? The LUV is much safer than an old ladder frame car like the Xylo and has much more flexibility and value s you have never seen in any other UV!
Coming to the subject, Joe bro, have you seen, felt or Test driven these cars?
I would never suggest the Duster as it is clearly a crap for the price (you can even see for yourself). It has almost the same amount of features as the Ertiga ZDi for almost 3lakhs higher price! Also the quality is literally poor for the price in the Duster.
The Ecosport on the other hand, is a very good compact car, in the guise of an SUV! But given that you and me are 6+ footers, it is quite cramped. But it is a great car for a small urban family of 4.
The Ertiga of course has loads of flexibility and Value, along with MSs reliability and maintenance. It can handle like a Swift and also can haul 7 people in good comfort. Especially, the diesel is the best highway cruiser among MPVs with fantastic mileage too.
Choose for yourself! cheers![cheers]

I still stick to my opinion that ertiga is a flimsy made UV. Dont know how it stands against ecosport / duster. But so many accidents of ertiga and the final outcome of the accident does scare me and puts a doubt within me of its build and control on road. I was not the driver behind wheels of those accidents and dont know the situations in which the accident happened, also I am not a structural engineer to comment on pros and cons of the build. I make impressions of what I see everyday. I have seen european cars and even hondas getting into accidents but keep their passenger safe.

Coming back to query from joe_antony, I would request you to increase your options, but if you want to stick to these 3 alternatives, then based on your concerns of safety, mother's ingress/egress, comfort - its DUSTER

If VFM - ECOSPORT

less maintainence - ERTIGA

Neither of the 3 suffice all your concerns and expectations. Its your choice on what gets your higher priority

I still stick to my opinion that ertiga is a flimsy made UV. Dont know how it stands against ecosport / duster. But so many accidents of ertiga and the final outcome of the accident does scare me and puts a doubt within me of its build and control on road. I was not the driver behind wheels of those accidents and dont know the situations in which the accident happened, also I am not a structural engineer to comment on pros and cons of the build. I make impressions of what I see everyday. I have seen european cars and even hondas getting into accidents but keep their passenger safe.

Coming back to query from joe_antony, I would request you to increase your options, but if you want to stick to these 3 alternatives, then based on your concerns of safety, mother's ingress/egress, comfort - its DUSTER

If VFM - ECOSPORT

less maintainence - ERTIGA

Neither of the 3 suffice all your concerns and expectations. Its your choice on what gets your higher priority
In other forms there was a report about duster, according to it duster was at service yard about 3 month waiting for some spares to come, you know what there was a small accident and its body got damaged that's it.

I daily use ertiga, it has good road presences, it handles well, it drives like a small car still offers more comfort, 3rd row seat of Ertiga provides best thigh supports in its class even granny can sit there with no problem. if the safety is the concern then please look at the budget he mentioned and please let me know which Honda car provides Airbags, ABS, EDB with all the requirements he mentioned.
I dont know where you see some ertigas killing people,

I never said Duster is a bad car but after sale service is miles away, Duster got good driving dynamics and I like that very much.

Ecosport is a good car if you dont consider the above requirements he mentioned.

8-9 lac budget in the sense non of these cars provides all safety features in the way you wanted.

Ecosport though contemporary in looks is yet to be proved in terms of reliability and of course limited in space.
Duster though looks spacious.. lacks the class in interiors
Ertiga it is. Proven, classy interiors, additional seating and many more satisfied owners.

ertiga is the car for you without a shade of doubt. diesel ertiga outclasses both ecosport and duster in terms of refinement. no other uv/suv/muv in the current market beats the diesel ertiga in terms of refinement. based on your seating needs, both ecosport and duster aren't in competition. both these car can seat 4 people. a fifth person will be a tight squeeze. ertiga just continuous to surprise you lot of goodies. you should be able to find a used diesel ertiga in Chennai at 8 lakhs.

i'm a bit skeptical about petrol ertiga. it's louder and riding it in traffic with ac is not a good experience.

also when you get a maruthi, you get a good after sales and service. ford is known for costly service and the sales and service of Renault is a unknown quantity.

none of the sedan except tata manza, will be able to seat 5 people in comfort. try out manza diesel, a excellent sedan with a good engine.

Thread Starter #11
Thanks MrRanger, icecool, tai_newbie, DJ bro and Gurrala74 for your valuable inputs. I have neither driven any of these nor at least traveled in. So the first things are to book test drives in each of them and have a feel of them. Also any idea on the waiting period? I guess eco sport demands more waiting period.

Hi joe, If it has to be a petrol, Ertiga should be the car for you. The plus points of Ertiga being Spacious interior which can comfortably accommodate 5+ members. Moreover, the K14 engine can easily give you a decent fuel efficiency of 15kmpl+. Neither Ecosport nor Duster will be able to satisfy your needs.

Thanks MrRanger, icecool, tai_newbie, DJ bro and Gurrala74 for your valuable inputs. I have neither driven any of these nor at least traveled in. So the first things are to book test drives in each of them and have a feel of them. Also any idea on the waiting period? I guess eco sport demands more waiting period.
Good buddy, you 1st take TD of these cars along with your family,
forget about Ecosport if you are in the market for quick purchase,

as our member said Manza is the only car in this segment where 5 adults can sit comfortably.

Last edited:
Hi Joe,

I have been driving Ecosport for the last 5 months. It is a great car for a small family (mine is 2 adults + 1 kid). But i don't recommend this car for you. Because it can't meet all the requirements as mentioned in your post; specially space for 4 adults and kids. So, if you are searching for a good petrol MUV Ertiga is the car for you in your budget. Don't go for petrol duster.

cheers

According to your Monthly Running: 400km - 500km consider petrol model only.
From the three options you have ECOsport & Ertiga have petrol model.

Even mine had the same requirement what you have. I choose Ertiga ZXi. Even i considered ES but space was the serious issue in that car. I am 6ft and i found under thigh support in driver seat is not good for taller even 5.5ft . I found the space was less than my old Getz/i20.

So i choose Ertiga ZXi. I feel Ertiga Petrol is the car for you.

BTW i am getting 13 KMPL with AC in city & 15 KMPL with 100% AC on highway

Last edited:

Top Bottom