Picking a New Sedan For Myself: Hyundai Verna or Honda City 2014?

Thread Starter #1
Hai,

I am a new member to The Automotive India.My name is Ramdas and from kollam, kerala.

I am now planning to buy a diesel sedan and i have short listed verna and new city 2014 from vento,rapid,linea,sunny and fiesta.My priorities are good brand,VFM,good looks on exterior as well interior,features,good safety,Low ASS and maintenance cost,comfort seating,mileage and good resale.

In styling i love verna from front and rear but from back i loved the city.When comes to inside i loved the interiors of both the cars.I have a maximum budjet of only around 11lakhs (including tax and insurance).I have plans to look verna 1.4 EX and in city i am thinking of S(2nd) or SV. In city SV touch screen AC interface looks smart but i am worried about it's practicality in driving situations because i need to look that every times to control and it has chances to become fogy when uses continuously (finger prints and dust).

Verna 1.4 Ex model have fog lamps,turn indicators on ORVM,2 DIN Audio system with Cd player,climate control AC,DIS,parking sensors and camera,chrome front grille,audio and call controls in steering wheel.I also hears about about the soft suspension issue of verna, uncomfortable rear seats and very light steering in high speeds.Recently i saw a overdrive report saying that 2014 verna comes with the rectified these issues.Verna 1.4 Ex comes around 10.6 lakhs here and have offers around 35000rs for diesel(january) and delivery will be available within one week.

When comes to City S or SV, It does not have parking camera,CD player,turn indicators on ORVM,steering mounted call controls,and have only painted front grille(S).I am six inch taller and i am comfortable with spacing of city.But also worried about engine sound inside cabin.The city on road price comes around 10.68 for S and 11.18 for SV here. Both models doesn't have any offers and delivery would take upto 40-60 days.

Please help me to pick up the best sedan out of these.

Re: Want a help to pick up my sedan(Verna or City 2014)

Hey Ramdas , Welcome to TAI
I would choose City over verna . I would not look at features but engine . Features like reverse cam can installed outside or by dealer . You would use engine more of a car instead of features . Also verna handling is not good . Honda have low maintenance cost , mileage (Sometimes Verna diesel give poor mileage), Good comfort etc [:)]

Dear Ramdas,
Don't buy Verna if you drive at speeds above 90 kmph.I drove my friends Verna and had my heart in mouth at speed of 100.It is not a good handler at speeds.The rear seats is a joke in Verna,don't know about New City.City is a better handler,but no where close to Linea and Fiesta.The City maybe short on features but most features are not deal breakers.My experience with Peninsular Honda had been good.

Regards,
Aneesh.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4

Hey Ramdas , Welcome to TAI
I would choose City over verna . I would not look at features but engine . Features like reverse cam can installed outside or by dealer . You would use engine more of a car instead of features . Also verna handling is not good . Honda have low maintenance cost , mileage (Sometimes Verna diesel give poor mileage), Good comfort etc [:)]
Hai Ankit,

Thanks for your advice.But Honda diesel engine is noisy and City lacks the sporty look.Also seen recent reports saying that verna handling is improved.

Last edited:

Both are good cars so TD both and decide for yourself. IMO Verna is more VFM as its loaded with features.

I have a Verna and I consistently drive over 100 km/hr (usually between 120 and 130) but never felt unsafe at that speed. Its braking is excellent and has saved us from couple of close calls.

How can you miss the space/feature/reliability of new Honda City ! which fits your requirements perfectly. Verna is no slouch either in terms of features or looks (subjective) but it loses out in every other department.

Hi Ramdas, First of all welcome to TAI.
Regarding your query, If you want feature reach car then go for Verna and if you want great comfort(rear seat) with some decent practicality and reliability with peace of mind then go for City. In terms of drive-bility any time City is better then Verna.
Just go and have a TD of both cars you will get perfect idea what you want exactly and what people are saying don't decide only by the comments of others. [:)]

Last edited:

The current Hyundai does not know to make good handling cars. The cars appeal to the heart more than they do to the mind.

Honda city Diesel Review - Simply put, in-city driveability is outstanding. Turbo lag is nearly inexistent, with the diesel motor responding well from idle rpms itself. That also means there is none of that sudden punch at 1,800 - 2,000 rpm. The engine has an incredibly tractable nature and within town, you only need to give it light accelerator inputs to potter about. The 1.5L moves away from crawling speeds in 2nd without breaking into a sweat, and even clears the 2nd gear speed-breaker test with flying colours.

From Verna Diesel Review-The engine has noticeable turbo lag upto 1,800 rpm, after which you see progress. But it's over 2,000 rpm that the motor really comes onto its own. Acceleration is fast thereafter, thanks to the 260 Nm of peak torque (@ 1900 rpm). Over 2k rpm, the motor is more linear than the outgoing Verna which had a sudden whoosh in turbo mode. The mid-range is punchy, and overtaking is not a problem at all. It'll sail through most maneuvers easily. However, the gearing is on the taller side. Thus, expect to downshift if you are at an rpm too low for the turbo to be spooling enough

Last edited:

I would suggest you to stay with verna as of now. if you want honda city, you can wait for sometime as honda may do something to reduce engine noise.

in terms of fuel economy, honda is better. mix of performance and economy. it's verna. linea has the best brakes and handling ability than verna and city. linea diesel comes with a discount of 1 lakh rupee as of now.

vento is the fastest car in the segment

Last edited:

Top Bottom