6 Year Old SX4 Needs Replacement!

Thread Starter #1
I have a 6 year old SX4 which has clocked almost 100k kms, and a 2year Skoda Laura which has just clocked 40k. We havent had any issues our SX4 except 6 times the horns going kaput and stalling quite a few times over the last year(a new battery solved the problem). The car has gone for 2 servicing over the last one and a half year costing us 10k each time(isnt it too frequent and too costly?[confused]). Anyways, the car's been giving a really poor mileage of 9-11 in city whereas my Laura gives 16-18. Its interiors and exteriors have a lot of dents scratches(i seriously mean a lot) thanks to our driver.
Reason for the new car-
For the past two years the Laura has been our workhorse. My college and my dad's office timings were similar, so i would leave with my dad and our driver would first drop my dad at his office and then to drop me at my college. He would wait there with the car till 5:30pm and then pickup dad from his office on the way home. The SX4 would stay at home in case mom needed a vehical. All was going well, but my college has changed the timings and from now on i will have to leave for college an hour and half early. My college is 18kms one way and obviously taking the SX4 would be the obvious idea(Laura stays back to drop dad), but the SX4 drinks too much petrol! It would cost me 240 buck daily! Imagine 6 days a week!
So we finally decided to sell off our loyal SX4(makes me cry whenever i think about it ):frown:
We did try some online car valuing websites most of them said with the amount of cosmetic damage and the no. of kilometers on the odo I wouldnt get more than 3.5lakhs. Therefore we decided to add 1lakh and buy a second hatch.
Requirements-
1. Diesel obviously!
2. Low kilometers on the odo
3. Not more than 3 years old
4. Must have Airbags and ABS.
5. Hatchback!
please suggest me! im travelling with my SX4 which is way too costly!
Thanks for reading such a long post and bearing it!

Re: 6 year old SX4 need replacement!

Since you need a fuel efficient hatchback, the choices are many. all hatchbacks offer you a good mileage.

on the basis of mileage, the choices are ford figo, indica vista, swift,. you can try swift dzire also. it's a great car. would be more easy, if you provide your budget?

Thread Starter #3

Since you need a fuel efficient hatchback, the choices are many. all hatchbacks offer you a good mileage.

on the basis of mileage, the choices are ford figo, indica vista, swift,. you can try swift dzire also. it's a great car. would be more easy, if you provide your budget?
4-4.5 lakhs and it should be a second hand car.

i personally feel after driving only you can make a firm decision
its better to check out i20 diesel as well.
other option
Ritz
Swift

4-4.5 lakhs and it should be a second hand car.
I would suggest you to go for Tata Indica Vista - Top End model. Tata cars are known for low resale value, this works in your favour since the depreciation has been absorbed by the first owner.

Tata Indica Vista has engine and gear box from Fiat and believe me driving the variable geomertry turbo of Diesel variant is a real fun!

Tata niggles are there but nothing significant to stall you. In Kolkata, around 4 yrs. old Manza costs 4L. So Vista should cost less than that. It should not be much different anywhere in India. So with the money you get by selling your SX4 should suffice for this purchasse, no need to put extra money.

BTW, Swift/i20 are good cars, no doubt but won't be VFM. You will get Automatic Climate control, ABS, Airbag, Electrically Adjustable OVRM in Vista within 3-3.5 L for second hand.

Last but not the least, keep us updated about your decision and do not forget to post pics of your ride once you buy one.

Firstly in a budget of 4.5Lacs, you have ample of choices in the second hand market for a diesel hatchback.

As per my suggestion, don't go for a car more than 3 years old and with above 40-45k kms on the odometer. Maruti Suzuki Swift diesel could be your safest bet in terms of reliability, but you will get the older generation car in this budget and it would lack Airbags as previously there was no ZDI variant.

In my opinion, you should look for an year or two old Fiat Punto diesel, the car is absolutely rock solid and has good reliability, only let down by the in-famous Fiat A.S.S. Which could actually work in your favor as Fiat's generally tend to depreciate a lot in no time and you could get hand of one at a lower price.

Other cars you could look at are Ford Figo diesel and Polo diesel. You would easily find a Figo in your budget but for Polo you might have to shell out a little extra. VW's services are on the higher side and make sure if you do go for a Polo, the car is under extended warranty as part replacements can be a costly business with the Germans.

You could have a look at the Ritz diesel as well if you are OK with the looks. Maintenance and reliability of Maruti Suzuki is simply unmatched in India and that's why they tend to have a higher re-sale price in the second hand market.(Though surely Ritz won't be as pricey as a Swift)

In my opinion, look for a car that has not been badly abused by the owner and has all its service documents in place and with a proper history of no accidents before plunging in the decision. As to which car : Swift, Punto, Figo should be the one's you should be eyeing in the car market.

Why dont you think of the petrol + CNG option as well, after reading your post it dosent seem like you are travelling out of Pune and your journey is in Pune Limits itself. In this cost your budget you can get a nice Swift Petrol Less used and may be you can convert it to CNG. I am very sure you will get the same mileage as you get for diesel vehicle.

Last edited:

Top Bottom