Buying a Used Skoda Octavia 1.9 (2006 Model)

Thread Starter #1
since i sold my zen i was looking to buy a small car under 4 lakhs then i came to know that one of my friend's relative is planning to sell her octavia since she is going to the u.k next month the vehicle is in great condition externally and the engine has cloaked 90k.

the test drive showed no signs of serious mechanical problems,the car is still a hoot to drive.my mechanic has checked the car and says the car is in great condition.

the owner initially quoted 3 lakhs but settled at 2.80 lakhs

i have faith in the car's condition but will spare parts be available?are the old octavia's parts still availale from skoda?

Re: buying a 2006 skoda octavia 1.9

Hii Skoda engines usually gives problems after 1 lakh kms on Odo .Its after sales will also be an issue most of times . Hence i would suggest you to look for another car .

From my view, it's not about the Odo reading. It depends on how well it's maintained and how it's driven. Skoda sales and services and spares availability are a problem. the spares and cost of maintenance are on the higher side. if possible get a mechanic who knows about skoda and check the car. used cars can be a good deal if you get a good maintained car.

Scoda octavia is a safe & well built car. TDI Diesel can give good mileage and its spares are still available in ASS or out side but very costly. It can be maintained in any good workshops. A well maintained Octavia can easily run more than 2-3 lakh Kms.( ex- A R RAM sir's Octavia.Check with him). At the same time, it can burn your pocket, if it is a non maintained Octavia or you are a unlucky owner.

last tuesday, i had an experiance on this. i were going to start a thread on this.
While going for a pre marriage function my cousin brother taken his friends used octavia (2004, 1.14km on ODO) along with my car. While return, it got break down in the middle of a busy narrow road, made a big traffic block. Even private buses in the route it self had to stop service there. Issue was the car refused to move, even though it was starting and able to change gears, car was not moving. there were lot of people, but not able to move the car by pushing also. It was look like car is in some gear. We tried all possible way. called local mechanics. later used a crane(Rs.5 k charge) and moved the car to workshop near to the owners home. later found out that the gear box damaged and need to be replaced. After checking with some guys they told it will cost more than 1 lakh and now they are in search of used one.

Last edited:

I've been reading about horror stories of Skoda Owners all across the internet. The major count of "harrased" people belongs to India, unfortunately.

While buying a new vehicle for myself, I was too inclined to buy Rapid however it's the A$$, high maintenance cost and horror stories involved with Skoda that kept me away from Skoda.

My 0.02 cents, no to Skoda unless they improve their A$$ and a low maintenance cost for there vehicles..

Thread Starter #7

i know the octavia is expensive to maintain but will the spares be available without a long waiting period? i have checked this vehicle inside out and there are no problems except worn out tyres and the owner has shown me all the service records from authorized service center.

since i am buying this car for my wife who was using our old zen for short errands i won't be taking this car for long rides i was about to book a new alto k10 when i came across this car.my wife really hates to ride the safari because she hates the tall stance of the safari so a car for her is a must.

will the running costs be huge if this car is used sparingly for say 7000 km/year.i know this is petrol territory and diesel will not be that economical but still i am impressed with this car which has only a single owner through out and has all the proper service records.

i have searched a few honda cities but they seemed to be very less maintained

It seems you are quite inclined to get this car [thinking]

Check with your local Skoda A$$ and see what there cost would be to service the car, get the price list for essential spares used during each service say engine oil, break oil etc. Probably that might also give you a clear idea if to go for this car or not.

Thread Starter #9

i have to check prices of essential spares from skoda service center on of my friends who has a laura said that the service provided is not that great but he told that the spares of skoda,vw,fiat are almost similar.

is the skoda's 1.9 tdi a reliable mill?i have had a good experience with my previous cars all cloaked above 1.5 lakhs without engine overhaull.these include my zen which did almost 1.8 before selling it.a safari 3.0l dicor which also did above 1.5 lakhs,even my father's old 92 tata estate cloaked above 1.5 lakhs.

can i expect the same reliability from skoda if the car is well maintained?
i really don't know any skoda owner except for my friend who has a laura.if any member who has previous experiences with the octavia helps me with details of this car i would be grateful to them.

Roman.. it seems that you are impressed with the car. I know a few people who swear by the earlier Octavia. The 1.9 TDi is reliable and frugal and if you have made up your heart, suggest you go for it.

However before you do, take the car to ASS and ask them for a full paid inspection. Also get the full service history. If its really 90K kms and has been treated gently, then the engine should be OK.

Check the gears, chassis, tyres etc. and then decide.

The engine is great. But since it has done already 1 lakh kilometers, all the parts may not be in great condition. Further skoda service isn't great and also spare costly are very costly. you got to realize that you are buying a used car, if it breaks down, in most parts the local mechanic's aren't qualified to diagnose issues and the the spare parts availability. the wafer thin dealer network of is a issues. my advice is to stay away from skoda, if you still want a skoda search for one will lesser miles on the odo. on the other hand, you can buy Honda city. with new city launched, you can get good deals on used cars.

as i said in my earlier post, buy a skoda only if you want a skoda and also get it checked from a qualified mechanic.

Thread Starter #12

The engine is great. But since it has done already 1 lakh kilometers, all the parts may not be in great condition. Further skoda service isn't great and also spare costly are very costly. you got to realize that you are buying a used car, if it breaks down, in most parts the local mechanic's aren't qualified to diagnose issues and the the spare parts availability. the wafer thin dealer network of is a issues. my advice is to stay away from skoda, if you still want a skoda search for one will lesser miles on the odo. on the other hand, you can buy Honda city. with new city launched, you can get good deals on used cars.

as i said in my earlier post, buy a skoda only if you want a skoda and also get it checked from a qualified mechanic.
rightly said,the car may have some problems due to high usage so i am taking no chances.since the car belongs to my friend's relative i have informed him about taking the car to skoda service in trivandrum for a detailed check up he has agreed to give me the car on thursday.

my mechanic who has inspected the car is convinced that the car's vital signs are fine .still i am taking the car to the service centre where they can check the car's ecu for any error codes.

when i inspected the bills of the service center i did not see a bill where the amount exceeded 25k even when suspension was worked on at 80k.

i have informed him about taking the car to skoda service in trivandrum for a detailed check up he has agreed to give me the car on thursday.
The Skoda Service center in Trivandrum is OK. If possible just take it to the German Tech. Its a private Skoda Service center. Its in Pothencode, Trivandrum. There are positive feedback about GertmanTech. GermanTech

Top Bottom