Buying a New Duster Of July 2013 Manufacturing Date

Thread Starter #1
Hi All

I booked a Duster (110PS RXL (O)) in December and at that time dealer had just one vehicle in stock. I decided not to buy it when I went for preregistration inspection as the trim date (manufactured date) was middle of June' 13. The dealer agreed to procure recently manufactured vehicle within couple of weeks and I decided to wait.

Today I got call from the dealer saying he got new shipment. I went to inspect and found that this vehicle had trim date of middle of July' 13 i.e., its a 5 month old car. I'm in a dilemma now - should I go for it or insist on getting a more recently manufactured vehicle.

What are the cons in buying a car manufactured 5 months ago - please help me decide.

I do not mind waiting few more weeks to get the right car.

Regards

Re: Need Advise - New Duster with trim date of July' 13

If you don't mind waiting, you can get a 2014 manufactured vehicle. This will come into equation while selling your car.

Hi All

I booked a Duster (110PS RXL (O)) in December and at that time dealer had just one vehicle in stock. I decided not to buy it when I went for preregistration inspection as the trim date (manufactured date) was middle of June' 13. The dealer agreed to procure recently manufactured vehicle within couple of weeks and I decided to wait.

Today I got call from the dealer saying he got new shipment. I went to inspect and found that this vehicle had trim date of middle of July' 13 i.e., its a 5 month old car. I'm in a dilemma now - should I go for it or insist on getting a more recently manufactured vehicle.

What are the cons in buying a car manufactured 5 months ago - please help me decide.

I do not mind waiting few more weeks to get the right car.

Regards
Car like Duster,ECOSport and Ertiga sold like hot cakes.. It must be something fishy that dealer is pushing for old stock.. Why to get an old stock that too in new financial year. Ask for 2014 model or get a hefty discount on this.

IMO, waiting should be a better option.

Nothing wrong buying a 5 month old manufactured car, but the issue is that car is not used since it manufactured. Here's why:

The car must be under sun/rain at company's or dealer's stock yard for 5months without running. This would cause :
1. The tires to become brittle and lose flexibility.
2. Rubber seals like door seals etc also would develop microscopic cracks under sun and rain.
3. Probability of rusting also be there.
4. Various oils used (engine, transmission, brake etc) may have effect on their viscosity for non use.

This are my thoughts though I am not an expert in these areas.

Last edited:

@blackbird
don't take this vehicle even if they give you good discounts.I am assuming there may be some issues by which this was in the stock.If they are saying this is as the new stock ,I remember last monsoon ,in some dealerships Dusters were inundated .They would have kept the vehicle unsold and did some cleaning up ,to sell it now.You are spending close to a million .Wait for a new car or change the dealership by getting a refund.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
IMO, waiting should be a better option.

Nothing wrong buying a 5 month old manufactured car, but the issue is that car is not used since it manufactured. Here's why:

The car must be under sun/rain at company's or dealer's stock yard for 5months without running. This would cause :
1. The tires to become brittle and lose flexibility.
2. Rubber seals like door seals etc also would develop microscopic cracks under sun and rain.
3. Probability of rusting also be there.
4. Various oils used (engine, transmission, brake etc) may have effect on their viscosity for non use.

This are my thoughts though I am not an expert in these areas.
That makes lot of sense, I never thought of all these. Thanks Kentkits

I think I will wait for a newer car.

Car like Duster,ECOSport and Ertiga sold like hot cakes.. It must be something fishy that dealer is pushing for old stock.. Why to get an old stock that too in new financial year. Ask for 2014 model or get a hefty discount on this.
He is not giving anything more than the promotion they had last month i.e, 45k discount without any exchange. I think I will ask for newer car.

Last edited by a moderator:

@blackbird
don't take this vehicle even if they give you good discounts.I am assuming there may be some issues by which this was in the stock.If they are saying this is as the new stock ,I remember last monsoon ,in some dealerships Dusters were inundated .They would have kept the vehicle unsold and did some cleaning up ,to sell it now.You are spending close to a million .Wait for a new car or change the dealership by getting a refund.
As per the information, i got this happened here in kochi dealer ware house, where around 200 dusters got damaged in a sudden flood. They do repair one by one and selling

As per the information, i got this happened here in kochi dealer ware house, where around 200 dusters got damaged in a sudden flood. They do repair one by one and selling
What to say more about ethics in Business [anger]

Thread Starter #9

I called SA and asked if he can get a car manufactured within last 3 months and he said its very unlikely he will be able to find that variant as they may have stopped production in Sep or Oct.
He said I may get 2014 model by end of Jan and indicated that Renault may increase the price and also, was not committing whether he can extend the same discounts (45k) that he had offered when the booking was made.

My dilemma -
1) The risk of price going up for 2014 model will be there. I'm hoping its not too much - if they increase by 10 - 15k, I can live with it
2) If dealer cannot extend the discount (45k) offered at the time of booking for the 2014 model, then I'm not sure whether I want to go ahead with this purchase...

Either way looks like I will have to pay more if I want recently manufactured vehicle. Are there any other option other than getting mentally prepared to pay more, please suggest.

Would suggest you to wait for 2014 one at least for your Peace of mind even though its couple of thousand more. BTW, why not Terrano? Any reason?

@blackbird
When I read this thread, this is the first image that came into my mind and I also wanted to say No for this deal.

My suggestion, if you have waited for this much for Duster, please wait for couple of more months, say Feb end and I hope you will be able to get the deal which is more or less like the current deal Plus an added advantage of a recently manufactured vehicle.

Jan 2014 shipment with July 2013 manufactured car. Thats bullsh**. The dealer is trying to sell off his old stock. You have two ways to go
1. Remind him that he had agreed to give you fresh stock. Make it clear to him that you wont pay a paisa more if prices hike. The situation is created because of lapse from his side. If he doesnt agree to this, cancel this booking. Buy from another dealer. Dont let this bugger have his way.
2. Maybe the car he is offering is good. A detailed inspection is required. Checklist is available on TAi and other forums. But since it is an old car, I would like to have extra heavy discounts. Say a lakh in addition to other discount and promotion. Also insist on oil change and new tyres. He is in need to clear off his stock, and you're in position to encash this. However, go with this option only if you or your friend has good knowledge of cars. As chances are that the car is demo car/ defective, etc.
If I was at your place, I would have gone with option 1.

in your case the dealer was fair enough to tell you the real manufacturing date. When I was buying my car in early 2013, my dealer tried to sell me a year old car mentioning its manufactured in present month. And he had it. Since I had taken in written from him, I got immunity from any kind of price hike. And I got car manufactured a week ago.

One point I found missing here - that is battery warranty starts from manufacturing date.
If one is ready to purchase an old car laying in dealership for hefty discount with the overhead of checking the car carefully, why not buy an year/two old car used by someone with much less money. I will never buy any of the old cars.
BTW, for ask the SA to give you the VIN no. and check the manufacturing date (do a forum search here to decode VIN).

Thread Starter #14

Would suggest you to wait for 2014 one at least for your Peace of mind even though its couple of thousand more. BTW, why not Terrano? Any reason?
Major reason I went with Duster was discount (45k) plus its cheaper by 40k.

Thread Starter #15

Jan 2014 shipment with July 2013 manufactured car. Thats bullsh**.

in your case the dealer was fair enough to tell you the real manufacturing date. When I was buying my car in early 2013, my dealer tried to sell me a year old car mentioning its manufactured in present month. And he had it. Since I had taken in written from him, I got immunity from any kind of price hike. And I got car manufactured a week ago.
The SA is quite transparent and is not putting pressure to take the vehicle. He said he will get me a Jan'14 manufactured vehicle by end of this month if I'm willing to wait but he was not clear whether he will be able to offer the 45k discount they had offered at the time of booking. Sounds fishy - I'm not sure why he is saying that. I will speak to him again and post an update.

Top Bottom