Ford Figo or Grand i10?? Confusion!!

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I am a first time buyer and need a hatchback for City Driving. I will only be using the car on weekends as on weekdays I get an office Cab. So the maximum drive/month will be 500 Km's plus maybe a couple of long yearly trips thrown in.

My budget is 5 Lakhs or maybe I can stretch it to 5.2 if I get all the options I am looking for.

I should also mention that I am not an expert Driver. I used to drive my fathers alto(non power steering version) but he shifted to another city 1 year ago and I haven't driven ever since.

Till a few days ago I was very sure that I was going to get the i10 or the Grand i10. But when I visited the Hyundai Showroom and checked out the Grand i10 versions. The Magna is what fit my budget at 5.36 Lakhs OTR. I was very disappointed at the lack of accesories in the Grand i10 like no safety options available, even as an option (ABS/AirBags).

At the same time the dealer told me that the 1.2 engine in the old i10 has been discontinued adn I will have to make do with the older 1.1 engine if I wanted to buy the odler i 10(which fit in my budget nicely).

But then browsing through all the Forums online I found a couple of other options I wanted to check.

Honda Brio- I read great praises about this in all the online Forums and Ownership reviews. But when I checked out the pricing details it wen on the upper side.

Ford Figo Petrol- Now this is the car that turned out to be a good alternative to the Grand i10 within my budget. I ahve read all the ownership reviews on TAI Forums and everyone is taling about the Gear Shift and bad handling at low speeds. I would like to know how it would effect a novice Driver like me?

I ahve scheduled a TD for tomorrow(when I called the Ford Showroom they offered to send someone with the car to my house for a TD since the showroom is far from my home, I absolutely loved this.)

So in a nutshell, I need opinions, opinions and a lot of opinions.

Thanks a lot in Advance.

Thread Starter #2
Re: Ford Figo or Grand i10....??? Confusion..!!

Sorry, I did not read the posting rules before I posted.

> Your Budget: 5 - 5.3 Lakhs
> New or Used: New Car
> Your Location: Hyderabad
> Top Five Priorities: Features, Safety, Comfort, Low Maintenance, Design,
> Monthly Running: 500 Km's
> Type of Fuel: Petrol
> For What Purpose: Weekend Use(Shopping, Movies, etc)
> Seating Capacity: 5 Adults
> Type of Segment: Hatchback

> Top Five Priorities: Features, Safety, Comfort, Low Maintenance, Design,
I think by "Safety" you mean to say at least ABS with EBD. If it is so, in India ABS comes at top end. I am afraid that you will get any in Hyd without strtching your budget.
BTW: you may refer to cardekho.com to get an idea about OTR. Go to OEM site to download e-brochure and see what suits your taste and busget. Then go for TD.

Last edited:
With the kind of usage you have mentioned and ABS is must, then I vote for Brio, though the price may be little higher than your budget. Figo is a good car, but you probably have the issue of GC(soft suspension) which is a headache dealing with our abnormal Hyderabad speed breakers and the FE too. Honda is more reliable than Ford in terms of maintenance. There are very few cars in your budget who comes with ABS. No doubt I10 grand looks too good and fresh chick in the market, but you need to compromise on ABS.

Thread Starter #5

I think by "Safety" you mean to say at least ABS with EBD. If it is so, in India ABS comes at top end. I am afraid that you will get any in Hyd without strtching your budget.
BTW: you may refer to cardekho.com to get an idea about OTR. Go to OEM site to download e-brochure and see what suits your taste and busget. Then go for TD.
Yes...After a lot of research I found out that ABS and Air Bags are out of my Budget. :frown:

I was planning to stretch my Budget but after reading another one of threads here I found out what happens when people dont take Maintenance and upkeep cost into account and stretch their budgets just to get a flashy car even after they cant afford it. They regret it later as the EMI becomes unbearable and the maintenance too. So after a lot of thought I have decided to stay within my budget(5 Lakhs) and not to spend more than I can afford.

So I Test Drove the old i10 today and the Ford Figo. Though I loved Ford Figo better among the two(the handling adn ride is pure pleasure), there are 2 reasons I may not chose it. Its low height(I have a few elders in my house and they will have a problem getting in and out of Figo). Secondly the GC does look very low and there are some pretty big bumpers in Hyderabad. [frustration]

I also want to TD the Grand i10 and see how it feels compared to the old i10. Though they have the same engine I have heard the Grand i10 performs better.

The old i10's are being offered at 40K discount here which is a big factor.

Will keep you updated.

Thanks for all your help.

Looks like Grand i10 does features in everyone's checklist.

If you are ready to give a miss to ABS then why not consider Brio as well[;)].

Now, coming back to discussion Figo is well-known for its diesel engine and if purchase is on near by dates then why to consider when facelift news is already knocking the doors.

If ABS is must then why not consider A-Star or Wagon R if 1.2 lt engine is also must.

Knight Sanjeev@

1. Dont go for ford petrol cars- Low milage, Low reasale & Higher maintenace( ex- Ikon,fiesta)

2. when you buying a petrol hatchback under 5 lakhs, check out Maruti stable first (in order-Swift lxi, ritz, wagon r, estilo, alto K10, A star/ A wind?)

3. though your running is less, If you have to use the car in heavy traffic + long trips- disels are better because they have better mileage. There are diesel cars too comes in your budget(beat Ls, indica V2/Ev2, Vista)

Last edited:
Test drive WagonR vxi with abs and it would be able to fit your budget along with discounts from maruti and has abs too which you are looking for.

1.Figo - if you love driving.
2.Grand i10 - Spacious.
3.Brio - Great engine.
Take your pick.
Btw, petrol suits you, as you have very low running.
If ABS is must then you have to stretch budget little, then
1.Figo
2.Brio
3.Swift

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
Looks like Grand i10 does features in everyone's checklist.

If you are ready to give a miss to ABS then why not consider Brio as well[;)].

Now, coming back to discussion Figo is well-known for its diesel engine and if purchase is on near by dates then why to consider when facelift news is already knocking the doors.

If ABS is must then why not consider A-Star or Wagon R if 1.2 lt engine is also must.
I would love to give a hard look to Brio, especially since the showroom adn service center are at a walkign distance from my home. But my Wife rejected it because of the back design.(shaadi ke side effects :rolleyes:)

Knight Sanjeev@

1. Dont go for ford petrol cars- Low milage, Low reasale & Higher maintenace( ex- Ikon,fiesta)

2. when you buying a petrol hatchback under 5 lakhs, check out Maruti stable first (in order-Swift lxi, ritz, wagon r, estilo, alto K10, A star/ A wind?)

3. though your running is less, If you have to use the car in heavy traffic + long trips- disels are better because they have better mileage. There are diesel cars too comes in your budget(beat Ls, indica V2/Ev2, Vista)
1.Yes, I checked with a few friends whose friends have the Figo and they are all crying because of the maintenance costs.
2.I will be checking out Maruti as well in the coming weekend.
3.Thanks for the tip. I will seriously look at some diesel cars.

Test drive WagonR vxi with abs and it would be able to fit your budget along with discounts from maruti and has abs too which you are looking for.
WagonR never really liked it. But since I will be visiting the Maruti showroom this weekend, I will give it a go.

1.Figo - if you love driving.
2.Grand i10 - Spacious.
3.Brio - Great engine.
Take your pick.
Btw, petrol suits you, as you have very low running.
If ABS is must then you have to stretch budget little, then
1.Figo
2.Brio
3.Swift
Thanks [:)]

hi there,
if you are looking for space then brio would be way to small compared to grand i10. Like you said you might be taking it for long drives on weekends, then you would require more space for comfort. Grand i10 would be the perfect pick as it gives good mileage in city as well as highways. The performance is awesome compared to other cars in its league.

I guess Grand i10 seems to be the best bet for you. Its the newest car around with tons of new features, drives pretty decently, looks good and is spacious as compared to the likes of Brio, Beat. Regarding Figo, I haven't driven the petrol but I've heard its a little lethargic and the fuel efficiency isn't all that great. Plus Ford petrol cars tend to have pretty low re-sale value, exception would be the Ecosport which has enough demand for the petrol variants as well.

My suggestion - why not look at the base Era variant or the Magna variant of the Hyundai i20 instead? There are pretty good discounts going on and I am sure it will fit in your budget or be marginally on the higher side. Check out the monthly discount thread -

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...monthly-discounts-schemes-indian-cars-63.html

Thread Starter #13
hi there,
if you are looking for space then brio would be way to small compared to grand i10. Like you said you might be taking it for long drives on weekends, then you would require more space for comfort. Grand i10 would be the perfect pick as it gives good mileage in city as well as highways. The performance is awesome compared to other cars in its league.
Thanks pandit8010. Your point is very valid.[:)]

I guess Grand i10 seems to be the best bet for you. Its the newest car around with tons of new features, drives pretty decently, looks good and is spacious as compared to the likes of Brio, Beat. Regarding Figo, I haven't driven the petrol but I've heard its a little lethargic and the fuel efficiency isn't all that great. Plus Ford petrol cars tend to have pretty low re-sale value, exception would be the Ecosport which has enough demand for the petrol variants as well.

My suggestion - why not look at the base Era variant or the Magna variant of the Hyundai i20 instead? There are pretty good discounts going on and I am sure it will fit in your budget or be marginally on the higher side. Check out the monthly discount thread -

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...monthly-discounts-schemes-indian-cars-63.html
Thanks GM88. The http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...monthly-discounts-schemes-indian-cars-63.html[/QUOTE] thread is very useful. [clap]

Figo petrol - forget it. Low on performance and low on fuel efficiency too. Buy it only if you need lots of space and nothing much more.

Brio - Great choice if you dont use the boot much.

Grand i10 - best all rounder today.

Ritz- again a well rounded car. Looks are subjective.

Swift lxi, vxi - I wont touch them as lots of people have complained of poor braking at low speeds.

i10 - can give it a try if usage is strictly in city.

Well, I would say anyday, no proper hatchback, except the Nano has come close to the WagonR's space and values. Even though it looks quite boxy, the advantages are many! It has a very good engine too! I think you should consider the WagonR too. Otherwise, go for the Nissan Micra Active or the Figo diesel.

Top Bottom