| | Re: Help Me To Choose. Beat or Other Car?
I have used Beat Petrol Mid variant with PS + AC +steel rim + JK tubeless radial + all black interiors. No power windows, rear wiper, no rear camera, no side blinkers, no alloys, no silver colour anywhere in the interiors. Drove it for about 4200kms in about 6 months.
1. High + deep Dashboard, front visibility was a little tricky at times (may be due to my height).
2. Suspension is good if there are atleast 3 occupants, with 2 it is okayish ride quality.
3. Pickup is good only after say 35kmph
4. Moving slowly in second gear in bumper-to-bumper traffic is not possible (unlike old 1st gen waggi/zen/m800)
5. AC is good, power drop is marginal
6. Quality of plastics is better than maruti but some switches are not that good ex: the headlamp adjustment switch on dashboard, press it with a little force and it falls inside leaving a hole in the dashboard.
7. Gear lever throw is long (compared to swift) but you will never miss (slotting into wrong gear) a gear shift. Gear shift is smooth and effortless.
8. Rear door doesn't open that wide, so ladies in sarree will feel uncomfortable getting in & out (compared to any gen wagonR)
9. No rattling, no vibrations, no lose plastics (although they are thin)
10. Mileage is anyday lower than any gen WagonR - I got only about 11.5 - 13kmpl (with 75% AC on) in city
11. Tyre noise is fed directly to our ears thanks to the JK tyres.
12. Build quality is good and some website claims that Beat has 40% high strength steel. Chassy does not flex even if the car is loaded with 4 occupants and you drive in a cross manner across a road hump.
13. Although suspension is good, front bumper tends to hit the road when you are getting down a parking lot ramp etc
14. Engine bay is well laid out, no jugaad style fitting anywhere.
15. Hydraulic power steering is superb and feedback is excellent, I could make out if tyres are low on pressure/ road surface (gravel/tar) etc Maruti's EPS cant come anywhere closer to this feel.
16. Steering wheel is nice (size and thick)
17. Rear seat is comfortable but legroom is a little lesser than what is expected.
18. Boot space: never used it, however it feels smaller than M800's
19. Less body roll compared to WagonR
Good PS, AC, seats (cushion is too good), solid chassy, tension free ownership for first three years, stylish too (black beat with aftermarket alloys is a killer)
less mileage, rear door does not open wide, less legroom, small boot, seat height for front seats is a bit low.
This beat had a small issue with the steering wheel making a krrr krr noise whenever we turn, Chevy Dealer replaced entire unit (not just wheel) under warranty without a fuss.
I have been only in the back seat for about 15mins (ring road ride) and all I can say is - smoothest engine, small from outside BUT big from inside, plastic quality is good (but not as good as i10 grand), no rattling, comfortable seats.
Road presence is more in taller cars like WagonR/Beat, horn is weak, boot door is full (strong and thick though) glass (a big no no for India), dashboard is too plain in design, lacks size.
Skip this just for the 3 cylinder K series engine, vibrates in idling (especially with AC on), dead feel from EPS, too much body roll compared to Estlio/Beat, Tin can feel everytime you close doors.
Maruti Brand, resale value, MGP parts availability everywhere, better mileage than beat, better leg room than beat.
Hope this helps.
Last edited by ss80; 26th December 2013 at 11:56 AM.