Help Me Choose. Beat or Other Car? [Booked - Hyundai Grand i10]

Thread Starter #1
Hello,
Thinking of booking a car as prices will increase again in January. Will go for 1.2 ltr engine.

Budget: 4.5 lakhs on-road max

New or Used: New

Five Priorities: comfort, looks, low maintenance cost.

Monthly running: 200-300 km with occasional long drive.

Type of fuel: Petrol

Purpose: Will not use daily, weekend city drive or occasional long drive

Capacity: 4 adults

Segment: Hatchback

It will be my first car, now I do not know driving too. (intend to learn soon).
As a first car want to go for base version or just next after base version.
I have opted for Chevrolet Beat but other 1200 cc competitors are quite pricey. Should I go for Beat or up the budget and look for Brio or Grandi10. Both will be around 5 lac for base version. Do not like Ritz styling also Brio interior design not eye catching. i10 grand is good from all positions.
Dealer says registrations can be done in January. I shall book the car now and will take delivery after 1 month as I have some garage issues.
I do not know what will be the manufacture date, but will 2013 date be a problem later?
How is quality of Beat now? In terms of engine and interior, exterior quality? [:)]

Re: Help me to choose, Beat or other

If your motto is to beat the price hike you need to buy (invoice) the car before 31st Dec 2013 and you can get it regd later. The discounts till Dec end will be mouth watering.

Thread Starter #3

If your motto is to beat the price hike you need to buy (invoice) the car before 31st Dec 2013 and you can get it regd later. The discounts till Dec end will be mouth watering.
thanks anshuman, please advice on choosing the model too.[:)]

beat is a good car. it has done well. but i suggest you to take the wagon r vxi you can get amount of discounts. It satisfies your criterion of seating 4, head room, low maintenance cost, feature loaded, good looking. wagon r has a charm of it's own.

the other alternatives are i10 and a star

Dear zenga, welcome to The Automotive India.

Your 'book in December, invoice in January' funda won't work unless you get a 2014 manufactured vehicle.

Regards,
Sam

Dear zenga, welcome to The Automotive India.

Your 'book in December, invoice in January' funda won't work unless you get a 2014 manufactured vehicle.

Regards,
Sam
I beg to differ. Not all people are petrol heads, so year of registration is more important than year of manufacture. What if he actually buys the same Oct /Nov / Dec 2013 Manufactured car in Jan?

And if the intent is to keep the car for long, (approx 5 years), the difference of resale wont be much. So why not reap the maximum discounts?

Last edited by a moderator:

@zenga
Welcome to TAI,
Beat is a nice car.The build quality is good and it has very less body roll.The petrol version is but low on mileage compared to the diesel ,especially in city driving.The interiors give a little cramped feeling. Back seat leg space may not be comfortable for a big adult.One more issue Beat owners are facing is the lack of service quality,this may vary,check it locally.

At 4.5 OT you will be getting the base model with EPS,AC.(PS) Try to go for LS if possible.

The vehicle that you will be getting if you book in December will be 2013 model and it will have an year loss by the time you register.Even you register it in January in the market (in RC too)it will be counted as a 2013 model only.(This will affect you when you want to dispose the vehicle,especially Beat dont fetch good money in second hand market )

A new model of beat is also in the anvil.

@praveen
If new Wagon R Vxi is available at that price I would suggest it would be a good buy.

Hello,
Thinking of booking a car as prices will increase again in January. Will go for 1.2 ltr engine.

Budget: 4.5 lakhs on-road max

New or Used: New

Five Priorities: comfort, looks, low maintenance cost.

Monthly running: 200-300 km with occasional long drive.

Type of fuel: Petrol

Purpose: Will not use daily, weekend city drive or occasional long drive

Capacity: 4 adults

Segment: Hatchback

It will be my first car, now I do not know driving too. (intend to learn soon).
As a first car want to go for base version or just next after base version.
I have opted for Chevrolet Beat but other 1200 cc competitors are quite pricey. Should I go for Beat or up the budget and look for Brio or Grandi10. Both will be around 5 lac for base version. Do not like Ritz styling also Brio interior design not eye catching. i10 grand is good from all positions.
Dealer says registrations can be done in January. I shall book the car now and will take delivery after 1 month as I have some garage issues.
I do not know what will be the manufacture date, but will 2013 date be a problem later?
How is quality of Beat now? In terms of engine and interior, exterior quality? [:)]
Go for Honda Brio, look no-where else. Its heart is the best in petrol segment in our market. I've been a proud owner for 18 months, done 18k kms which includes city & 1200kms journey as well. Just enjoyed every bit of it. Its a car the love you back everytime you take it out for a spin. [clap]

Regarding booking in dec 2013 & registering in jan 2014, note that the year mfg would be 2013 itself as dealers would be interested in selling off their stocks. So, strike a good deal with the Honda dealer ASAP.

I beg to differ. Not all people are petrol heads, so year of registration is more important than year of manufacture. What if he actually buys the same Oct /Nov / Dec 2013 Manufactured car in Jan?

And if the intent is to keep the car for long, (approx 5 years), the difference of resale wont be much. So why not reap the maximum discounts?
You are correct to an extent; but most buyers, petrolheads or not, would look at the year of manufacture mentioned on the RC instead of the year of invoice. Lets just hope he doesn't end up with one of such buyers when he comes to sell his car.

Last edited:

@zenga

Welcome to TAI !! looking at your requirements and you are new to driving, why not a top end model of Nano which will be very good for your kind of requirements OR choose Wagon R a reliable work horse and easy to drive and good FE

Thread Starter #11

thanks to all for replies,
Initially wagon r was on my list, but my family members do not like the looks also for long driving use I am thinking of 1200CC engine.
If Beat's resale value and also service is not good then it may be an issue. But why a 1.2 litre car is priced less than its peers? At lease 50k difference. I am bit concerned on this too. What is the mileage of Beat, users please reply.
Is it written just year or month + year for a model?

Last edited:

Hi Zenga, Since its going to be your first car, would advise you buy something 2nd hand (Santro or Maruti Zen /Alto K10) or similar.

These are cheap to maintain and you would not mind the occasional dings and scratches which you will no doubt receive. Once you are confident, sale this off and buy a new one. The good thing with above models is that you will (hopefully) get 85% of your purchase price with ease after 1 year. Also car market will have new models (eg Datsun Go) from which to choose.

Hope this helps.

Is it written just year or month + year for a model?
Both are written in the RC Card.
i.e. if your car is manufactured in Dec 2013, it will show as 12/13.

Advise - Why dont you check other cars, e.g. Swift LXI or Ritz LXI ?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14

Both are written in the RC Card.
i.e. if your car is manufactured in Dec 2013, it will show as 12/13.

Advise - Why dont you check other cars, e.g. Swift LXI or Ritz LXI ?
Swift will be way out of my budget, Ritz according to looks is not prefered.

If you can possibly wait till end January, please do it and buy a 2014 manufactured car then. Unless your getting an irresistible deal/offer on the car you like at the moment then only proceed for a 2013 manufactured vehicle.

Regarding which car to choose -

Beat petrol is a decent car overall but yes the fuel efficiency is a tad poor and after sales of Chevrolet are a bit ticky. Honda Brio should be a good choice as it has a peppy engine and the fuel efficiency is also pretty good. Or else look at the new kid in the block, the Grand i10 base variant shouldn't be much beyond from your existing budget. Do have a look at them, the extra money spent on them will be absolutely worth-while IMO.

Top Bottom