we are looking to buy a car in early 2014
i m filling the details
please recommend the best accordingly

Budget: below 5 lakhs on-road

New or Used: New

Five Priorities: comfort, looks, safety, low owning cost

monthly running: below 500 kms

type of fuel: petrol

purpose: regular use(no long vacation drives, just local city driving)

capacity: 5 adults

segment: hatchback

i personally dont like hyundai eon and i10
please recommend other than these
thanks in advance :)

you can consider swift Vxi if want a good drivers car or i20 magna if want a sold car with big boot & good features or honda brio that have everything except boot space & luxury.

1. Why in 2014 instead of right away? In December, car sals are low and hence you can negotiate better. Consider this if and only if you want to keep your car for very loooong time, otherwise you will loose a lot in resale since car will be of 2013 maufacture instead of 2014 manufacture. Whatever be the case, make sure you do the registration in 2014 hoping to get foolish buyers whom you can say that 2014 registration means 2014 car whatever be the maanufacturing year.
2. Do not take manufacturing month before November, 2013 if you are going to purchase right away since the cars are always kept badly in plant/dealership and you will run into the risk of paint damage/rusts irrespective of any OEM.
3. Though people say for less monthly running Petrol is good, I don't believe in that since Diesel cars are easy to sell and you will always get back the initial amount spent during resale. Again, it's quite personal choice.
4. For space, back-seat comfort, features Tata Indica Vista would be the best if you go for diesel though you have stretch your budget little bit.
5. For Petrol, I would always vote for Swift.
6. Since Maruti and Tata are having good service network, I always recommend them. Parts are cheaper and easier to procure. BTW, Tatas have changed a lot (improved) and so is Maruti (declined). [:)]
7. Hyundai i20 is the best, no doubt but I feel that to be bit costly and not VFM.
8. Last but not the least, please keep us posted about your thought(s) and don't forget to post pics whatever car you zero down on.

If you are looking for space for 5 adults- the only hatch under 5lakhs which can do that with some resemblance of comfort is the Vista. The only two versions of this that are under 5L on the road would be the Safire GLX and the Tdi LS. The Tdi is tried and tested and can be repaired most anywhere. I would suggest you buy the Vista Tdi-its cheap to run and own. The only flip-side-after sales-which if you have a good TML service center nearby is ok-quality of the buying and after sales seems are varied-ranging from awesome to awful!-my two bits. all the best!

Thread Starter #6
@parveen
its out of the budget. Final budget is 5 lakhs on road,not more than this.

@pravin1987
my dad doesn't like the wagonR. My maamu had one and he sold it after 2-3 months said it wasn't a good car.

@sambit_mech
my final exams are in march. so dad said he would buy me a car after that only. Though it would be a family car.
Actually we wont be selling the car, it would be with us for loooong term as you said.
petrol is preferable as many petrol cars fit in budget, moreover we wont be driving much and maintenance of petrol is said to be on the lower side.

@tdcarlover
About Tata Indica - Tata cars always produce that whistling sound, i hate it.

Maruti Swift base model(lxi maybe) is under 5 lakhs on road?
we really want a VFM car. We wont be selling it. So it will be a one time buy.

and how about Nissan Micra active?
Its XV version with airbags is 4.81 on road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardy Nissan after sales in Punjab is going to pathetic and i think it is not good for long term . Consider Alto k10 its a good car

Thread Starter #9
@_Ankit_
although not an issue
cuz like i said we wont be selling the car sooner
atleast not for SOME YEARS
maybe never :P

@pravin1987
though alto k10 is nice to drive and fits in budget too
but when i went for a TD
it felt small from inside
with knees hitting the parts of the car always

though it was awesome
that power was awesome

You will also get Beat Petrol under 5 Lakhs. Do test drive and check it. I am using it for 3 months with 3.5K on odo and I have liked it. You can also visit my ownership report on the same

Thread Starter #12
@macsvin
beat is kinda cool
i may look into it

parth1231
i would prefer swift over ritz as showroom price is kinda same
i dont know which car comes with more features in base model

i really like the decent yet attractive look of micra active
but there isnt any review of it on the internet :\

If you can slightly stretch budget then Grand i10 and Swift Lxi would be my pick. Else, beat is a good option too. This is the right time to buy - end of the year sale. You can also wait for new launches like Datsun. Since, couple of new launches are expected in early 2014.

Last edited:
Petrol engine = Honda's Ivtec. Look no further. Go for Honda's peppy engine, Brio, as suggested by our fellow member pravin1987. Low on maintenance, ample cabin space, good quality interiors, and good on FE. Only constraint is small boot. TD and check out yourself.

Last edited:

Top Bottom