Buying a Used Honda Civic. Any Suggestions?

Thread Starter #1
I am selling my corolla and accent crdi. And thinking of buying Used Honda civic.
So my concerns are
1.how is civic compared to corolla
2.maintainance compared to accent crdi and corolla
3.If I buy civic I might going to convert to cng.
4.my budget is 4lakhs. So should I go for smt model or vmt? Does vmt models before 2009 comes with cruise control?
5.any other options around 4lakhs?

350Z

Core Team
Honda Civic makes for a sensible choice in the used car market and a nice switch from Corolla for the drive-oriented folk.

The following links provide a good idea about the upkeep of a used Honda Civic:

> http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...civic-v-automatic-ceevee.html?highlight=civic

> http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-buying-ownership-review.html?highlight=civic

4.my budget is 4lakhs. So should I go for smt model or vmt? Does vmt models before 2009 comes with cruise control?
Yes. It is equipped with cruise control if I am not mistaken.

The as much exciting alternatives in same segment include Mitsubishi Cedia, Chevrolet Optra Magnum and Skoda Octavia vRS.

Drive Safe,
350Z

here goes my two cents.
Civic is a discontinued model.To tell the truth the production stopped more than a year back.You can Google it and find the truth.Yes the vehicle is a masterpiece.But again parts are not going to be cheap,neither service .
The under body of Civic does have a road scratching behavior due to low ground clearance.
So check the under body well before going ahead.
A Hyundai accent is very easy to maintain compared to Honda Civic.Even Toyota Corolla ,parts are readily available than Civic.Please do some more research before going ahead.
May be some Honda service center will be a good option.

Civic is a better car to drive, Corolla is better for rear seat passengers.

Civic has an awesome free revving engine, Corolla has better low end torque.

Civic has a great dash and quality interiors, Corolla's seats are not low set like the Civic's.

Maintenance cost would be higher when compared to Accent. Spare prices are similar to Corolla's.

3.If I buy civic I might going to convert to cng.
Civic is not an ideal car to convert to CNG, especially if you are buying a manual transmission. The engine has poor low end torque which further reduces after you convert it into CNG. Driving in traffic becomes a pain then.

I have heard of some cases where people have had issues after converting their Civics to CNG.

Does not matter. The only difference is that VMT has fog lights (in newer models), leather seats and reading lights.

The older models does not have cruise control. Only the facelifted ones (post Sept 2009) have.

If you are looking for a car which you want to convert to CNG, try Maruti cars like Dzire, SX4 or Hyundai cars like the older Verna. You will get a newer car too.

In short, IMHO Civic is not a car which can be CNG'ed and still enjoyed!

Thread Starter #6
Well thing is I always liked civic.but without cng it's not affordable to me.i already have corolla cng which runs very good on cng.i recently met person I know,he bought civic smt n converted to cng with sequential kit n he's very happy with it.so if no cng civic then there's no use of selling corolla.

compared to accent, civic is at least two segments higher so the maintenance costs will be higher,but it's equipment level and engineering standards surpass many.it's durability and reliability is beyond doubt.

corolla is never a driver's car compared to civic, which has the ivtec motor, the jewel in the crown for honda. spare parts are available with honda dealers and honda is a company which supplies spares of discontinued models in a prompt manner.pricing will be on par with toyota

it is possible to convert it to cng but the engine characteristics will change for the worse.De tunning the civic engine is like making usain bolt run with sandals.

the cng makeover however can be made reliable in the hands of an expert mechanic but it's not really worth it.

the corolla is more of a work horse,obedient and demanding less while the civic is a stallion which demands more.[:)]

Last edited:
Buying used civic.

Guys I am looking to buy an used Honda civic. I want to know from you guys that what should be the checklist for used civic and from which city I would get good condition car. My budget is around 3lacs and want to buy 2006-2008 model.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Buying used civic.

Guys I am looking to buy an used Honda civic. I want to know from you guys that what should be the checklist for used civic and from which city I would get good condition car. My budget is around 3lacs and want to buy 2006-2008 model.
Check this out Amit. Hope it shall help you.[:)]

Regards

Akash

Re: Buying used civic.

3 lacs sounds like a very tight budget to get a good Civic. You might get 2006 models with 1L+ on odo for that range.

Apart from the usual used car checklist, here's what you should definitely check on a Civic:

• Since the GC is low and with longer wheelbase, the car scrapes everything if not driven carefully. So check for any underbody damages
  • Suspension - both front and rear
  • Power steering assembly for any leaks - this is a known issue with this gen Civic and was a fault from manufacturer. If it has leaks then it would cost like 80k-1L at Honda as they only replace stuffs and not repair it. But you can always repair the same from competent garages under 10K
  • All wheel bearings and engine mounts
  • Auto box and paddle shifts (if getting automatic variant)

And some general pointers to anyone looking for a used Civic:

The maintenance will be double or sometimes triple if you take it to Honda service center as they dont usually offer repairs and go for full replacement of parts. So if on a low budget find a good competent garage for repairs. Spare costs is in the same league as a Corolla, Cedia etc. There would be a 6-10 days delay in getting some spares but dont worry about parts unavailability with Civic because its an icon car and very famous all around the world

Never ever convert it into CNG or LPG. Its a pure performer and if you cant live with its fuel economy, then dont think about buying one. I have an auto Civic and gets 7-9 in city and 13-15 in long drives with 100% AC and for the performance and safety this car offers, its a good mileage

Dont be alarmed if the ones you see has lot of odo readings. This car just runs and runs forever as long as proper care was given in time by previous owner(s). Do service the car every 5K kms or 6 months whichever is earlier

The OEM Alpine head unit (pre 2009) doesnt come with usb port or pre-out for amb/sub and the cabin is pretty much isolated from boot in terms of NVH. So if you are an audiophile who wants to add "boom boom" inside the car, then it will become a bit more costly option to replace stock HU or seeking other expandability options. Not saying its difficult, just a bit costly to get additional converters

Interior plastics worn out faster on Civic so if it looks ugly dont think the car's being abused. You can polish it to OE finish for a few thousand bucks at any car detailing place

Dont use premium petrol, just normal fuel is enough for it and there is no noticeable difference in mileage or power other than a bigger hole in your pocket if you go premium way!

Pre 2009 models sold in India doesnt have steering audio controls or cruise controls by default which is a shame, as Honda choose to provide rear audio controls instead on a driver's car. But since these features were available on other markets, you can source the required parts and do a DIY job with a good auto electrician to fit cruise control. The light indications are already there in instrument cluster

With a huge fan following around the world and dedicated forums, you will never run out of modding and upgradation ideas on this car. [clap]

Last edited:
Hey hi,

Am new to this form, i was looking for used civic and i found one but am not sure about the pricing in used cars, the car specs below.

Civic 1.8 V MT
Single owner
22K km
year 2010

car looks neat and runs smooth

Asking price is 7.60 lakhs and I am asking for 6.50 lakh, please help me on the price , is it worth the money?

Last edited by a moderator:
Friends,I have seen a Honda Civic 1.8S MT 2008 version in Sky Blue colour,which has done just 26000 Kms,yes just 26000 Kms.The owner is quoting ₹5.25L and willing to get it down for about ₹4.75-5L.Is it a good deal?

Reason for selling-He is having XUV,Micra AT and BMW.Plus,he is upgrading to a Mercedes.

I am planning to buy a used Honda Civic 2006 VMT(As its the top end) after 3 years, so what should be the adequate price of 06 Civic in 2019?

Top Bottom