Which is the Safest & Reliable Car For Rs.8 Lakh?

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,

My friend is looking forward to buy a new car. The maximum ex. showroom Delhi price he can buy is upto Rs 8 lac. Safety and reliability is at highest priority.

Suggest him a car .

Last edited:
Re: Safest, reliable car 8 Lac can buy

i suggest i20 diesel as it is powerful, reliable & have 5 star safety rating. top end asta have all needed safety features.

category: sedan,hatch backs. uitility vechiles
fuel: petrol or deisel
monthly usage:
how long he will use the car?
used or new ones?

utility vehicles: bolero and sumo gold gx cr4( may be nearly 8.70 lakhs), above 9 quanto

bolero: excellent resale value, good for bad roads..cons: poor highway performance
sumo gold: excellent driveablity, top end has roof ac. the only car in the segment. cons: build quality not that great
quanto: abs, airbags. cons: poor drive quality over any surfaces.

note: sumo gold and quanto are offered with discounts. not sure about belore. sumo gold has a discount of nearly 47,000 in chennai.

sedans: swift drzire, Honda amaze
hatch backs: swift, grand i10 diesel,i20, fiat punto.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6

utility vehicles: bolero and sumo gold gx cr4( may be nearly 8.70 lakhs), above 9 quanto

bolero: excellent resale value, good for bad roads..cons: poor highway performance
sumo gold: excellent driveablity, top end has roof ac. the only car in the segment. cons: build quality not that great
quanto: abs, airbags. cons: poor drive quality over any surfaces.

sedans: swift drzire, Honda amaze
hatch backs: swift, grand i10 diesel,i20, fiat punto.
Hi Parvin,

I appreciate your response but I'm counting on safety above all along with reliability. We all know very well how bad boleros and sumos are with respect to safety rating.

I'm seriously considering i20 Sports or Asta for purchase. Also, I don't have much confidence in Amaze since it is just "Made For India" stuff that doesn't have any Euro NCAP rating.

Hi Parvin,

I appreciate your response but I'm counting on safety above all along with reliability. We all know very well how bad boleros and sumos are with respect to safety rating.

I'm seriously considering i20 Sports or Asta for purchase. Also, I don't have much confidence in Amaze since it is just "Made For India" stuff that doesn't have any Euro NCAP rating.
regarding safety ratings, it's all about how you drive the car. i20 above 120 doesn't inspire confidence. amaze is a great car expect for the fact leg room for tall passengers.

sumo and bolero are utility vehicles that are spacious and are stronger than a normal hatch back or sedan. yes you are right. they don't have abs and airbags. but the cars with air bags aren't 100% safe. sumo's and bolero are dominating the commercial market and rugged roads.

at the end of day, it depends on individual choice ;what ever the car your friend is going to buy, ask for maximum discounts as this a year end.

Last edited by a moderator:

i20 higher end variant is the one to go but still you have to shell out atleast a lakh more to get 6 airbags+abs. You can also consider Polo,Swift,Ecosport but you have to stretch budget more for fully equipped variants.

Thread Starter #9

i20 higher end variant is the one to go but still you have to shell out atleast a lakh more to get 6 airbags+abs. You can also consider Polo,Swift,Ecosport but you have to stretch budget more for fully equipped variants.
i20 variant with 6 airbags is only available with petrol engine. I want diesel car.

Anyway what kind of car he wants? Hatchback or sedan or MPV?
There are a lot of cars in the price range!

Thread Starter #11
Preferably hatchback. Sedan can also be bought if it fits budget. You may rule out MPV

What I'm having in my mind is the following :-

i20 sportz(7.4 lac) - Awesome feature set, awesome engine but suffers from poor handling and very poor braking distance. scored 5* safety rating

Punto - I like the safety and build quality but personally I'm not a fan of its design. Poor ASS is what holds me back from recommending it

Figo Titanium (6 lacs) - A awesome car, I also own one, but I don't think it is as safe as a Fiat/Skoda/i20. It has scored 4* safety rating, don't know where's that 1 missing star

Maruti/Etios/Mahindra/Tata - I have no trust on them w.r.t. my requirements

Ecosport - ABS equipped model is out of budget

Amaze - VX variant is the one I will buy, but then it is too much overpriced. Also, the safety rating is an unknown territory here

Rapid Ambition+(discounted price only) - A superb car marred by poor service personnels and arrogant attitude of Skoda

Last edited:
Micra has an XV Premium Diesel variant that has 4 airbags - should be < 8 lakhs in Punjab. If 2 airbags are sufficient, Punto and Polo are also quite safe. Don't go merely by no. of stars in EuroNCAP ratings - go by detailed report. Eg. if you will never carry children, why bother about child occupant safety; or if you are sure of not hitting a pedestrian head on, ignore the pedestrian safety.

My criteria was the same in the middle of the year - but with a higher budget, I went for Ecosport.

Last edited:
One needs to understand that the cars which get high safety NCAP ratings are with different set of features which are not sold in India most of the times .

For example a car which gets 5star rating is the top end model with all bell and whistles , it's the i20 petrol with 6 airbags which has secured a 5star rating and not the one which is with 2 airbags . The one with lesser airbags will have lesser ratings .

And as bopanna suggested , looking objectively one can choose a car wisely as per his requirements .

If safety and reliability is your catch point ,one cannot shy away from Tata,Toyota and mahindra.
And sadly you miss out on all three cars,Manza,Etios and Verito.All diesel cars with good mileage.
I suggest these vehicles to be test driven before going for a conclusion.
Ask for the one with ABS and you will feel the difference.
NCAP and other rating systems is again on a subjective scale.

All cars except the Alto and Omni have reasonably good safety!
The main safety depends upon the driving skills and abilities!
Doesn't matter which car one buys!
If you reject Tata, Maruti Suzuki, etc which are main players in the segment, you have very limited options!
Of course, no car is perfect, but one can select the best compromise package suitable for him!

Top Bottom