Should I Upgrade From Verna To Elantra?

Thread Starter #1
I currently own 2011 September Verna 1.6 SX petrol. I got it for 9,30,000 back then and it has done about 5900 kms till date (I know that's unreasonably low).

The car is literally in mint condition and looks almost as good as new. Today, I decided to check out Elantra and was instantly mesmerized.

I've decided to get the 1.8 sx petrol version of elantra, which is around 16 lacs on road. However, most dealers have quoted a maximum of 5 lacs for my verna.

After being quoted that low for my verna, I'm a little confused on whether I should really upgrade or not.

Any comments would be appreciated.

350Z

Core Team
The car is literally in mint condition and looks almost as good as new. Today, I decided to check out Elantra and was instantly mesmerized.

I've decided to get the 1.8 sx petrol version of elantra, which is around 16 lacs on road. However, most dealers have quoted a maximum of 5 lacs for my verna.

After being quoted that low for my verna, I'm a little confused on whether I should really upgrade or not.
Be honest and ask yourself. You will receive the answer. Do you really need a new car? Keeping in mind that current car is barely used. You will lose significant amount on the depreciation but not surprisingly, its buyer will be damn lucky. Just buying another ride only because it's bigger and offers a few more features is not a financially fit decision.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I currently own 2011 September Verna 1.6 SX petrol. I got it for 9,30,000 back then and it has done about 5900 kms till date (I know that's unreasonably low).

Any comments would be appreciated.
It is you who has to decide, but take decision from mind instead of heart. What if after getting Elantra a new car get launched and you will fall in love for that. Think twice and think wise.

Last edited:
+1 to above all.

Had it been a lateral upgrade, still I would have thought. But changing within 2 years is not good.

May be its time for some modifications like adding a high end audio system or just some refreshment jobs on your current car. Elantra feels almost like a Verna.
Elantra 1. 8 is not a benchmark car either. If you save 11L rs now, you could buy a car from a D2 segment later. So think twice .

Thread Starter #7
I agree with all you guys. Since my office is right next to my house, I don't need to travel that much therefore, my running is usually next to none.

The only reason why I thought of upgrading was because verna has become a little too common from the time I bought it. I even looked at the new octavia, but it's no where close to matching the elantra in terms of looks and gizmos (Sure it drives better, however, I spend most of my time in the backseat).

Financially it's obviously a poor decision lol. However, when I think about it, this car will still depreciate further.

I looked into the second hand market for much higher segment cars and was surprised to learn how cheap they really are. Audis, Bmw etc, which were barely 2-3 years old were being offered for 50-60% less of their original price.

Sure they are heavy to maintain and repair, thus it's understandable why they depreciate so much, but I'm starting to learn that cars basically lose 20-30% in the first year followed by 15-25% in the second year and so on.

However, the cars I buy usually help me write-off 15% in depreciation each year, since I buy it in the name of my company. Therefore, the loss isn't that huge for me, however, I'm still a little unsure on what to do.

Last edited:

Top Bottom