Friend Looking For Car Within Budget of 5.5 - 6 Lakh

Thread Starter #1
Hello All,

Friend of mine looking for his first car. Looking forward for your inputs/ suggestions.

Budget: 5.5 – 6 Lakh
Buy: New Car
Monthly Running: 400 - 500 KMs
Type of Fuel: Petrol
Top Five Priorities: Good Fuel Efficiency, Low running Cost, Low Maintenance, Comfortable to sit and Safety.
Purpose: Movie, Shopping etc in weekend, once a while to office (2-3 times/ month)
Seating Capacity: Mostly will be used by 2 adults - 2 kids, occasional more than 4 passengers.
Type of Segment: Hatchback

Thanks,
Pankaj

1.Chevy Sail if space is priority. Though let down seriously because of interiors and quality.
2.Ford Figo is a great driver's car with best handling and dynamics and adequate space. But feels old than competition and not so efficient and highway performance is an issue because of low bhp.
3.Honda Brio can be considered if boot space is not a priority or can wait till diesel Brio is launched soon.
4.Hyundai i10 is good VFM car and have enough space but all Hyundai cars are not comfortable on highways because of bouncy suspension and poor handling.
5.Maruti Ritz is a good performer car with good efficiency. But lack of space and boot space is quite evident.
6.Maruti Swift is a favorite of all and is good VFM but the cabin is dark and space is not that much and boot space is quite poor..
7.Maruti Dzire petrol can also be worth a look as interiors are superb and engines too. But space is clearly not so good.
8.Maruti WagonR is a fantastic city car and hugely spacious and smart option. It is also quite easy on the highway.
9.Tata Vista is a great family car with good engines and excellent space and comfort. Boot space is not the best.
Choice must be made according to requirements after TD. I would go for Vista or WagonR! [;)]

Last edited:
Hi Pankaj,
Only two cars fit your friends bill
1. Maruti Swift
2. Honda Brio
Figo petrol is such a laggard that he will be head banging.
Tata is not reliable to the extent of Maruti and Honda.
Regards,
Aneesh.

Why dont you take a look at Fiat punto. I think its coming in 2 engine variants(1.2 & 1.4). I think you will get 1.2 with the price range you are looking.

The Swift, Dzire, WagonR or the Brio can suit you well!
Well, the Punto is a perfect family hatchback as it has flaws!
And ya, Tata and Figo petrol are not good!
Best is the K10 of the Suzuki cars or Honda petrol!

Guys suggest me one from the cars below:
1. Ford figo
2.Hyundai grand i10
3. Maruthi swift .
Well, all three are good cars in their respective ways.
Figo is all rounder with good space, excellent ride and handling and VFM. But is quite dated.
Swift is great VFM and good performing car... but lacks space and boot space.
Grand i10 is also good VFM with god space and equipments. But not good for spirited or highway long drives. In fact it is the slowest car.
The choice depends on you and your requirements!
By the way Diesel or Petrol?

Grand i10 has quality and value, but safety features are optional only. Also the handling and highway stability and performance is not good.
The Figo too doesn't have the power for very high speeds above 140kmph, but is excellent handling and stable always. But the car has become old now.
I suggest you to go for the Figo.

I think Maruti Swift suits your friend's requirements the best followed by Hyundai Grand i10.

Low running cost - you can expect about 13-14kmpl from both Swift as well as Grand i10.

Low maintenance - I think Maruti will be slightly ahead in this department, but service bills for diesel Swift/Dzire have been reported to be sky rocketing over the last year or so. Petrol ones are still relatively pocket friendly to service.

Space wise I guess Grand i10 trumps Swift in the rear bench space but I guess it won't be a deal breaker for you.

Safety wise Swift ZXI comes with Airbags and ABS where as the Grand i10 Asta(O) gets those features.

Swift ZXI costs around Rs 5.8 Lacs ex-showroom and you may get discounts of about 25-30k on it. On the other hand Grand i10 Asta(O) variant costs about 5.5Lacs ex-showroom without any discounts.

Ask your friend to test drive both the cars and see for himself which one suits his requirements better.

I'm keen on trying out amaze too [:)] . Are any cars in the budget of 5-6.5lakhs releasing in the first quarter of 2014? Because I am not in an hurry to get one btw we are getting that for our family [:)].

Top Bottom