Looking For a New Car Within 8 Lakh [EDIT - Bought Swift VDI]

Thread Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to buy a new car and need your suggestions to conclude my 4 month long search.

Budget: 6 – 8 Lakh
Buy: New Car
Monthly Running: 1,500 Kms
Type of Fuel: Preferred Diesel
Top Five Priorities: Driving Pleasure, Low Maintenance, Decent boot space, Safety.
Purpose: Daily commute
Seating Capacity: Mostly will be used by 2, occasional 5 passengers.(Hatchback/Sedan)

I have already booked a Fiesta Diesel- Style variant, delivery is on 1st December.
Everyone is asking me to cancel it. I don't agree to all of the point they are mentioning. Only thing is since i intend to buy a new one in 3-4 years max, resale will be not good for Fiesta. Otherwise i love the way it behaves on road. And also the deal i'm getting is lucrative with 2.4L discount + accessories. But practically i will be losing a lot during the resale, so need to think twice.

If i cancel my booking i will go back to my original budget which was 7-7.5Lakhs, can only stretch it for Fiesta and nothing else.
Within this budget, i'm not getting a good hatchback with safety features(Airbag, ABS, defogger) as it comes mostly in the top model.

I don't want to go to the range of Ritz or i10 as it will be a big compromise for me.
Grand i10 i felt little under powered.
Ford FIGO: i somehow cannot digest the boxed shape look of the car.
----(my personal opinion)

Also i need to finalize it next 5 days as i need the car delivered by December 1st week. Need Suggestions from you all.

Thanks,
Aditya

Re: Looking for a new car within 8L

Given your budget, the only other sedans which come to the picture are Tata Manza, Toyota Etios, Ford Classic, Fiat Linea Classic, Chevrolet Sail sedan and two Compact sedans in Honda Amaze and Maruti Suzuki Dzire. Out of all the cars I've mentioned here, The one you have already booked i.e.is Ford Global Fiesta is surely a segment above. Yes the re-sale value may not be as great as a Honda or a Maruti, but I am sure it will fetch you much better than a Chevrolet Sail or a Linea or even a Ford Classic for that matter even few years down the line.

Hatchbacks will be a different territory all together. Premium hatches like i20 and Polo would also come in your budget. Both are having good amount of discounts running of them too at present. But you will be compromising on the boot space as well as none of them match the driving pleasure of the Ford Fiesta.

I believe you are getting a very lucrative deal on the Fiesta and you should go ahead with it. Can you share the deal, Rs. 2.4Lacs is straight cash discount or it includes insurance and other accessories?

I have already booked a Fiesta Diesel- Style variant, delivery is on 1st December.
Everyone is asking me to cancel it. I don't agree to all of the point they are mentioning. Only thing is since i intend to buy a new one in 3-4 years max, resale will be not good for Fiesta. Otherwise i love the way it behaves on road. And also the deal i'm getting is lucrative with 2.4L discount + accessories. But practically i will be losing a lot during the resale, so need to think twice.
i would really suggest you to go for Fiesta. Even I own a Fiesta Style Diesel purchased one month back.

When I booked my car many friends told me to cancel it as they say its a flop. I would not say it as a flop, a wrong pricing made it a slow seller. But I took lots of test drives in various kind of roads and i just sticked on to my mind. The driving pleasure of Fiesta is miles ahead of other cars.

Thread Starter #4

Given your budget, the only other sedans which come to the picture are Tata Manza, Toyota Etios, Ford Classic, Fiat Linea Classic, Chevrolet Sail sedan and two Compact sedans in Honda Amaze and Maruti Suzuki Dzire. Out of all the cars I've mentioned here, The one you have already booked i.e.is Ford Global Fiesta is surely a segment above. Yes the re-sale value may not be as great as a Honda or a Maruti.

Premium hatches like i20 and Polo would also come in your budget.

Can you share the deal, Rs. 2.4Lacs is straight cash discount or it includes insurance and other accessories?
8.35 on-road with accessories Seat Cover, Body cover, RPS, Under coating 3M, essential kit.
Out of all car option mentioned above I considered:
Amaze: NVH and poor dashboard issue.
Sail: Lacks in power, Re-sale issue.
Fiat: Bad A.S.S
Ford Classic: This was my initial contender but I'm getting Fiesta cheaper than this[:D]
Etios/Manza: Never pleased me.
Honda City: new diesel will come out by Jan end.

Can still consider Amaze or Sail.

If not fiesta then i was thinking of joining the bandwagon here. Swift VDI or Dzire LDI as both have <6L ex showroom and i save 30k+ on Registration.
I checked today and there is a new LDIx launched by maruti which has almost all features of VDI which can be fitted fromoutside(except tachometer, Rear seat hand rest) and costs 45k. sounds like a good deal to me
If i get these features fitted within showroom will be problematic in longer run or Swift VDI is a better choice here with the lack of 100L boot.

Swift VDI: 6.5L
Dezire LDI: 6.8L + LDIX package(45k)

Why not ZDI for both: better buy ford fiesta in that range

Why i'm thinking of going for Maruti:
I can sell this in next 3 years and get a compact SUV. By that time there will be abundance of it. Right now i need a car by Dec end and almost all new vehicles are being launched by next year mid.(XA alpha, honda SUV).

So what will be a smarter choice, buy fiesta now or a maruti and can plan to sell it in next 3-4 years?

Last edited:
Re: Looking For a New Car Within 8 Lakh

Hi adi85.
If you are sure of selling the car in next 3-4 years then I guess Maruti is the way.
You can not go wrong with either swift or dezire. Its just the matter of boot space,if you plan of taking long drives often with 4 people and luggage then Dezire otherwise swift will do just fine. [Btw a new model of swift is supposed to be launched so if you can wait, that will get you even better car.]
NVH: Maruti or Hyundai i20.
If you can live with the looks of Toyota Etios I would suggest you the same. It fits all your requirements. Boot space,maintenance,safety. Test drive it and then decide.

Regards
Midknight

Thread Starter #6

Hi adi85.
If you are sure of selling the car in next 3-4 years then I guess Maruti is the way.
You can not go wrong with either swift or dezire.
NVH: Maruti or Hyundai i20.
If you can live with the looks of Toyota Etios
Hyundai i20 i rejected because of no steering response, low GC, Low FE, and High maint(more than ford). Will consider Fiesta a better option.
Etios: i never liked the dashboard layout and looks of the car, otherwise its one of the best car out there.
Dzire LDi with power windows, central locking, fog lamp and turn signal lamp fitted from maruti showroom: Will this be a good idea?

i would really suggest you to go for Fiesta. Even I own a Fiesta Style Diesel purchased one month back. When I booked my car many friends told me to cancel it as they say its a flop. I would not say it as a flop, a wrong pricing made it a slow seller. But I took lots of test drives in various kind of roads and i just sticked on to my mind. The driving pleasure of Fiesta is miles ahead of other cars.
I'm totally convinced by this car buddy, but the only thing pulling me out of it is re-sale. I have still not cancelled my booking. But contemplating if i can buy a maruti sell it within 3 years as i might be travelling abroad for some time.

Well, the Fiesta is quite a good car but lacks the same feel and space of it's competitors and quite high priced!
You can go for the SX4 or the Dzire if you can forgive the deficit of space and boot space...
Anyway if you are going to use it for only 3 years, then the Dzire is better VFM option. It has better feel, cabin and value with enough space for 5 average sized adults. Also a fantastic engine for the highways.

Hyundai i20 i rejected because of no steering response, low GC, Low FE, and High maint(more than ford). Will consider Fiesta a better option.
Etios: i never liked the dashboard layout and looks of the car, otherwise its one of the best car out there.
Dzire LDi with power windows, central locking, fog lamp and turn signal lamp fitted from maruti showroom: Will this be a good idea?
Well yes I would completely agree with you as I have i20 as well as swift.
Well there is no problem with going with Dzire with those add ons, even mine[swift] Lxi have almost everything of vxi fitted from showroom before taking delivery.
But you would lose out on important safety features such as ABS,Airbags etc. So the question you need to ask yourself will be are you ready to take this risk?

Regards
Midknight

Thread Starter #9

Booked Swift VDI..Delivery same day 1st DEC...'
Cancelled Fiesta with heavy heart....

I need to buy seat covers and ICE..
Budget for ICE 25-30K
Requirement: 2-Din 6.1 inch screen, USB, AUX, Bluetooth, Handsfree calling, GPS(good to have), detachable unit, Android support
Regarding speakers i need suggestions:
2 front component speakers, 2 back door speakers(co-axial/component) and 2 tweeters. Will this be a good combination. Which ones should i opt for?
Choice of music: Soft Rock, Rock, occasional Hip hop and Electro.
Please advice on the best option.

Thanks,
Aditya

Good VFM choice! Don't worry for cancelling the Fiesta! It is not worth the money!
Enjoy the Swift! Which color?

Thread Starter #11

Good VFM choice! Don't worry for cancelling the Fiesta! It is not worth the money!
Enjoy the Swift! Which color?
Hey thanks, much needed consolation..Booked Grey color...
Diff in Swift VDI and Fiesta Style is 1.25 lakh.

Thread Starter #12

Got my swift delivered last month. Also got the music system installed.
Will bring up the ownership thread soon.
Mods kindly update the thread: Brought Swift VDi.
Thanks everyone for helping me in deciding the car.
I was glued on Fiesta since the beginning(still in love with the car) but Swift will always be a smarter choice.

Last edited:

Got my swift delivered last month. Also got the music system installed.
Will bring up the ownership thread soon.
Mods kindly update the thread: Brought Swift VDi.
Thanks everyone for helping me in deciding the car.
I was glued on Fiesta since the beginning(still in love with the car) but Swift will always be a smarter choice.
Congrats on your ride. Drive safe with a smile.

Top Bottom