Looking For a Pothole Fighter

Thread Starter #1
Hello

I am new here :) and i'm really glad to be a part of this network !

Now im looking for a car which il be using daily and since i stay in Bombay the roads are bad here and i travel to karjat once a week, since the roads are bad i cant take my current car there, i have a Alto and it does not do the job.

I was looking into a Lancer
as i'v heard its a very comfortable car and now the parts are easy to get
but then again i heard sometime's the car parts are still very expensive
and it breaks down , am i right ? am i wrong please correct me :)
i really fancy this car

I was even looking into a Optra/Corolla
but i'm not really into them
my father will be driving the car as well

i was really into the Gypsy King
it would be perfect since the roads at karjat are TERRIBLE
but i heard its a backbone killer?
and it is very uncomfortable if so what can i do to fix it ?
changing what of the car would make it good ?
shock ups ? Spring leafs ? please
i was gonna buy it but people said its a terrible car
and how much will it cost to put a proper working AC in it
im gonna have a Hard top
any tips for this car ? since i really like it as well
i dont mind not having a power steering

i drove a Ertiga yesterday it's suspension was kinda good
can i get something similar ? or better "preferred "

My budget is 1.5 Lakh
i can only afford a second hand car
it will be a daily usage car
it will cover or cross at least 400km a weak
thus il be installing a CNG kit in it
i cant afford petrol nor diesel at the rate its boosting up
i stay in andheri so i travel alot on the outskirts.

so please help me find a car
which is good even on bad roads
since you guy's know how bad the roads are even on the high way

well im all ear's now :D

Re: Looking For a Pothole Fighter :D

Hello

I am new here :) and i'm really glad to be a part of this network !

Now im looking for a car which il be using daily and since i stay in Bombay the roads are bad here and i travel to karjat once a week, since the roads are bad i cant take my current car there, i have a Alto and it does not do the job.
You can go for gypsy bearing the ride quality or you can change the suspension.
You can go for pre-worshipped Boleros but it may cost around above 2 lakhs and also it's diesel.
bolero glx - Mumbai - Cars

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Hollowback,
The only one that fits your budget is the Lancer.Stay away from Optra at any cost.
Regards,
Aneesh.

Thread Starter #5

Hello
thank you so much for you're replies

are lancer parts expensive ?
is it easy to maintain ?
will it be good for such roads?

well then it leads me down to the GYPSY King or the Lancer

how can i make the Gypsy more comfortable ? i dont want it to be a backbreaker
please tell me what all il have to change and how much it would cost
i'l be ok with a 2WD 4x4 not needed :)

thank you

Hello
thank you so much for you're replies

are lancer parts expensive ?
is it easy to maintain ?
will it be good for such roads?

well then it leads me down to the GYPSY King or the Lancer

how can i make the Gypsy more comfortable ? i dont want it to be a backbreaker
please tell me what all il have to change and how much it would cost
i'l be ok with a 2WD 4x4 not needed :)

thank you

Maintaining a Lance is not expensive, and most of the parts' cost is quit less as compared to current sedans. Lancer's suspension is OKish but not very stiff, so you might consider this too. I'd suggest you to look at used Ford Fusion, it's and awesome drivers car and has wonderful ground clearance.

Thread Starter #7

Maintaining a Lance is not expensive, and most of the parts' cost is quit less as compared to current sedans. Lancer's suspension is OKish but not very stiff, so you might consider this too. I'd suggest you to look at used Ford Fusion, it's and awesome drivers car and has wonderful ground clearance.

Hello
il be putting a CNG in the lancer
are the part's easy to get ?
it's just that im worried about it cause the roads there are quite bad
any specific model of lancer shall i look at ?

Ford fusion i had that in my head too but No i canceled it :)

can you share something on the Gypsy King as well ?

Hello
il be putting a CNG in the lancer
are the part's easy to get ?
it's just that im worried about it cause the roads there are quite bad
any specific model of lancer shall i look at ?

Ford fusion i had that in my head too but No i canceled it :)

can you share something on the Gypsy King as well ?
Lancer is an awesome car and still can put to shame a lot of sedans, not to forget it's still a head turner if maintained well. Parts are not tough to find, if not easy. The regular wear and tear parts like brakes, clutch, complete suspension, all belts, alternator, radiator etc. are easily available.

Reason I suggested Fusion over Lancer is it's GC is more than Lancer and suspension is a bit stiffer and doesn't sag. Try TDing a less used model.

Thread Starter #9

Lancer is an awesome car and still can put to shame a lot of sedans, not to forget it's still a head turner if maintained well. Parts are not tough to find, if not easy. The regular wear and tear parts like brakes, clutch, complete suspension, all belts, alternator, radiator etc. are easily available.

Reason I suggested Fusion over Lancer is it's GC is more than Lancer and suspension is a bit stiffer and doesn't sag. Try TDing a less used model.

i too like the lancer :D
how will it perform after CNG?
and my friend which model shall i look into for the lancer?
are mitsubishi Company parts cheap to get? i dont wanna local
my uncle once had a lancer when it was out i asked him about it
he said if something goes wrong cost of its parts range from 30-70 k
maybe back then they did ?
how much does it usually cost ? APROX?
this was the only reason i was rethinking it
i told my dad about the fusion now it's upto him
till then lancer and Gypsy it is !

any Gypsy king guys ! ?shed some light :D

I dont own either of them , but my friends do, and let me share their experience and viewpoint..

LANCER owner - he bought a 3rd hand lancer and it is fun to drive on highways or straight stretches.. On slow moving traffic it feels heavy in 1st/2nd gear.. On potholes you car hear metal twitching sounds from some corner of the car which surely indicates the age of the car.. it has never floored on normal bumpers but it does on potholed roads.. Initially his cost of maintenance was running high, but soon he found a mechanic some 20 kms from his home o other side of Bangalore, who gets him locally made parts for lancer and is quite cheap.. but then durability and quality of parts is still a concern

GYPSy in true sens is the KING of offroading, but on straight stretch and city traffic a CAMEL. It will cause serious backaches. He has a Open top, hence cannot comment on AC fixtures / HARD TOP. But there is a way to curb the suspension. He has put 20kg sand bags on either side over the rear wheels.. This curbs the leaf suspension a bit, and doesnt affect much on mileage. If you can put more weight over rear tyres, the suspension improves but then an already THIRSTY ENGINE wants more fuel to survive. So if you do not want to make a STYLE STATEMENT or go core offroading, i would suggest you to keep away from gypsy. Also most of the second hand gypsy's available would have been used extensively for off roading and hence their frame /chassis will be in bad shape. If you get army mantained ones then they would have been well mantained

If your primary requirement is a car that can truely help you tackle the potholes, then I dont see a Lancer fitting into the frame. Its is prone to scrapping just like most of the non-Indian sedans. With a budget of 1.5 lacs, I feel you should try finding cars like Maruti Esteem (it will scrap but certainly the damage to pockets wont be much since it is a Maruti), Indica/Indigo (Petrol), or a Santro. All these fit in your budget and would prove pocket friendly in long run.

Thread Starter #13
I dont own either of them , but my friends do, and let me share their experience and viewpoint..

LANCER owner - he bought a 3rd hand lancer and it is fun to drive on highways or straight stretches.. On slow moving traffic it feels heavy in 1st/2nd gear.. On potholes you car hear metal twitching sounds from some corner of the car which surely indicates the age of the car.. it has never floored on normal bumpers but it does on potholed roads.. Initially his cost of maintenance was running high, but soon he found a mechanic some 20 kms from his home o other side of Bangalore, who gets him locally made parts for lancer and is quite cheap.. but then durability and quality of parts is still a concern

GYPSy in true sens is the KING of offroading, but on straight stretch and city traffic a CAMEL. It will cause serious backaches. He has a Open top, hence cannot comment on AC fixtures / HARD TOP. But there is a way to curb the suspension. He has put 20kg sand bags on either side over the rear wheels.. This curbs the leaf suspension a bit, and doesnt affect much on mileage. If you can put more weight over rear tyres, the suspension improves but then an already THIRSTY ENGINE wants more fuel to survive. So if you do not want to make a STYLE STATEMENT or go core offroading, i would suggest you to keep away from gypsy. Also most of the second hand gypsy's available would have been used extensively for off roading and hence their frame /chassis will be in bad shape. If you get army mantained ones then they would have been well mantained

was the lancer durable ? i was thinking of getting orignal part's and fixing them in the start as i've hard it's become cheap now

Gypsy King i was putting a Cng Kit and abit fatter and higher tire's
would that do the trick ?
i cant drive a car which break's my back
i want comfort !

Thread Starter #14
If your primary requirement is a car that can truely help you tackle the potholes, then I dont see a Lancer fitting into the frame. Its is prone to scrapping just like most of the non-Indian sedans. With a budget of 1.5 lacs, I feel you should try finding cars like Maruti Esteem (it will scrap but certainly the damage to pockets wont be much since it is a Maruti), Indica/Indigo (Petrol), or a Santro. All these fit in your budget and would prove pocket friendly in long run.

Thanks for the suggestion's but
no non of them

any other car ?
i want a car which kinda has the suspension of the Ertiga
was thinking some alteration can be done to the gypsy king
if yes how much would it cost ?
i've heard people doing Coil spring setup and getting a very Nice ride quality ?
but does someone know who whole thing and it's cost ?

was the lancer durable ? i was thinking of getting orignal part's and fixing them in the start as i've hard it's become cheap now

Gypsy King i was putting a Cng Kit and abit fatter and higher tire's
would that do the trick ?
i cant drive a car which break's my back
i want comfort !
i doubt you will find original parts in a cheaper price for out of production car. I called my friend now, he said he didnt find original parts cheaper. many manufacturers (mainly around delhi / kolkata area) make spare parts and claim to be original, but I dont think they manufacture with tie up with Mitsubishi. Also it not having a high Ground clearance, under body scrap and part failure may be high.

I doubt it. CNG kit will definitely add weight, but fatter and higher tire may not do the trick. The issue here is the leaf spring suspension. If tires are soft, it will eat up lot of potholes without transferring much to suspension, but that also calls for higher fuel consumption. A well filled tire may still transfer shocks to suspension. Also the backache problem is more for the back benchers, and very less for the front 2 passengers.

Now coming to your requirement, you want higher ground clearance (GC), comfort, long run(so good FE I suppose), and budget is 1.5 lakhs -- I doubt you will get all buddy. The best option that comes to my mind is older generation bolero / sumo.. for comfort may be old palio / esteem / santro

Top Bottom