Upgrading From Maruti 800: Suggest a New Under Rs.5 Lakh

Thread Starter #1
Hi freinds, I'm happy that I become a memeber of this forum which is great.

I have sold off my pre-owned Maruthi 800 5 speed. i'm looking to buy a new car in the next 3 months(within feb 2013).

my budget is 5 lakhs maximum. extendable upto 5.50 lakhs at the most.
needs: 30 kms per day..400 km high way trip twice per month
i'm intrested in both pertrol and deisel( if car is available at 5.50)
just need basic feautres like ac,power steering....
i drive at speeds between 80-100..
since the vehicle will be used in my home town which is a bit remote,,i need good delareship network and reliable after sales and services..

Re: Suggest a car for me

TAI experts can guide you to the right car if you can provide few more details about your requirements.
How long do you want to keep this car.
Space is a constrain?
Fuel consumption is a constrain?

For good service network and resale value, maruti suzuki is the best.

Your monthly usage sums upto 1400kms. So its really better to get a diesel car. But, I dont think you can get maruti suzuki diesel car under 5.5lac.
So its better to look at Tata indica vista.

Or else if you are going for petrol cars, you will get basic variant of swift and ritz.(Positive: Good space and Performance, Negative: High running cost)
If you want low running cost car then maruti 800, alto are the best.
If you are looking for a little bit more performaning car then A-star, WagonR are the choices.

Last edited:
Pravin,
At that price point you will get MS Ritz (Diesel) or GM Beat (Diesel) after all the discounts. Please TD the vehicles.The speed that you want to drive, I will not suggest any other Maruti than Swift and Ritz.
In case of Petrol you can check out Swift /Ritz with ABS or Micra.
Drive safe!

Hi pravin1987,
Two cars will fit your bill
1.Swift Vxi(but has poor brakes,petrol disadvantage)
2.Figo Zxi(Diesel advantage)
Figo is a very good car,my Dad uses one and its rock stable at the speeds you mentioned.Service is not costly also.
Regards,
Aneesh.

@Pravin Welcome to TAI

With you inputs, I suggest a diesel car and if the budget of 5.5L is tight and also OTR, then you have options like Indica ev2, Beat, May be I10 Grand(I am not aware of its price). I don't think a base version of Liva, Vista, Ritz, Swift can be bought in that price.

Based on the suggestions from members shortlist the cars and have a TD and post back your experience where you can go with one final decision

Thread Starter #7

TAI experts can guide you to the right car if you can provide few more details about your requirements.
How long do you want to keep this car.
Space is a constrain?
Fuel consumption is a constrain?

For good service network and resale value, maruti suzuki is the best.

Your monthly usage sums upto 1400kms. So its really better to get a diesel car. But, I dont think you can get maruti suzuki diesel car under 5.5lac.
So its better to look at Tata indica vista.

Or else if you are going for petrol cars, you will get basic variant of swift and ritz.(Positive: Good space and Performance, Negative: High running cost)
If you want low running cost car then maruti 800, alto are the best.
If you are looking for a little bit more performaning car then A-star, WagonR are the choices.
space: we will be travelling 5 and bit a luggage too on week end trips..ground clearance is also needed as there are giant speed breakers and potholes in my home town...

tommorow i'm going to take a test drive of alto 800 and k10( dad's strict), wagon r.... wagon r k10 and stingray has same engine?

space: we will be travelling 5 and bit a luggage too on week end trips..ground clearance is also needed as there are giant speed breakers and potholes in my home town...

tommorow i'm going to take a test drive of alto 800 and k10( dad's strict), wagon r.... wagon r k10 and stingray has same engine?
Here I'm considering only maruti suzuki. Other members will help you to know more about other branded cars.

Swift is the Best option regarding the SPACE & PERFORMANCES and Ground Clearance. But here petrol mileage is an issue.

A-star
If you need more headroom and Legroom then forget about A-star, but if the members are not tall enough then a-star is a good choice even for 3 average or little fat people can sit comfortably in the rear seat.
A-star got same ground clearance of Swift.

WagonR
Very good legroom and Headroom but the width is not well enough to make 3 lil fat people comfortable in the rear seat.
WagonR's Ground clearance is lesser than A-star/Swift

(Note: Comfort varies from person to person)

Alto 800 and K10 got lesser Ground clearance. I believe its even more lesser than WagonR. So if GC is really a constrain then forget about these vehicles.

When test driving the K10 engine vehicles, ride them at 2k rpm.

My opinion is to get diesel swift or ritz(since your monthly usage is very high). If you wont change your car in the near future, then its really better to think about increasing your budget.
If budget is a constraint then have a look at preowned showrooms for swift diesel car.

Thread Starter #9
Yesterday..i went to ABT maruthi show room for test drive. i said the rep 5.50 lakhs is my Budget. I will pay ready cash..he suggested me the vechiles alto800, k10, wagon r k10, siwft petrol, astar,

first i took a test drive of wagonr k10..the car had a good suspension...loved the tall seating. but engine wasn't responsive..

next is the k10: everything was same as my m800 excpet the engine and some features..engine is very responsive.

next the swift petrol..felt very powerful..but i felt the brakes aren't providing feedback..the sales guy told it's a problem with test drive car...wagon r brakes felt more confident..

did't test drive alto800...least vehicle was a star...the vechile was something similar to swift...

cars selected:

wagon r vxi abs and air bag:
a star zix optional:

a star zxi optional pack: wagon r vix abs and airbag
ex-show room:4,73,001 4,59,021
reg+tax:57,656 49,402
insureance: 16,635 16,169
on road:5,47,292 5,24,592

discount of 20,000 for wagon r and 25 for a star if it's booked within this month...
reasons i lieft out swift was at my budget i get only lxi..

customer service was top notch...next cars to be considered are a hyundai i10, ford figo, tata indica ev2...chevy beat and ritz was left because of looks...

are there any other hatches missing below 5.50?

Yesterday..i went to ABT maruthi show room for test drive
discount of 20,000 for wagon r and 25 for A-star if it's booked within this month...
reasons i left out swift was at my budget i get only LXI
Hi Pravin1987,
You are being taken for a ride.A-star is being discontinued and I know someone who got upwards of 40000 discount.Don't settle for 25000.Be firm and tell that you will buy only if the discount matches the best.Call up other Maritime dealers and ask for higher discount.
Regards,
Aneesh.

Your monthly runnning will be above 1k kms,so better go of with diesel.
Car under 5.5 lac can be MS Ritz diesel basic model,Chevy Beat D.
You can hook some discount by buying in December,can get discount upto 50 k on above model.

Please also mention other factor of mileage,features,fuel.

Thread Starter #13
Today we went to take a test drive of ford figo at chennai ford. the sales guy told that one of the car has is under repair and another car has been to taken for a demo sales. i gave them the number and asked them to call back. so next we headed to Tata motoros dealer VST.

we straight took away the test drive of indica ev2 lx..the car rattled like anything..within 1 km of test drive the car stallled and refused to start and with the help of few people on road we pulled the vechile to side of the road..then the sales guy called the show room..then sent a mechanica in a sumo gold and it was taken back to the showroom in the sumo gold and as i entered the manager apologized. i was asked to wait and then offered me to take a test drive in a another indica ev2..supirsing the car had more kms on the odo and was rock solild. no squeeks, no rattles...the engine felt good for a diesel car and the sales guy promised a milage of 18kms being the worst.

then it took drove indica vista tdi test drive..the car felt powerful and good to drive. suspension is better than indica. the interiors and build qulaity was good. this car was also free of rattles.

the indica vista lx tdi comes at on road price of 6,08,544 and they are offering a discount of 35,000. the base diesel ls tdi comes at 5,48,344 and they are offering a discount of 25,000 for this model.

the indica ev2 lx costs 5,47,000 and they offer a discount of 30,000..

i'm some how impressed by indica vista so i have considered

short listed cars:
1 indica ls tdi.
2. indica ev2 lx.
3. wagon r vxi abs and air bag
4. A star zxi.

still i will test drive ford figo and then decide.

It's strange you have left reliable HONDA BRio in test drive. If your priority is mainly the service center presence even in remote area than surely go ahead with MARUTI as they have the strongest presence in every corner. Else, do take the test drive of BRIO also before finalising [:)]

There are MANY cars within the budget you mentioned:
1.Chevy Beat a good VFM car but let down because of average performance and lack of space.
2.Chevy Spark if you don't have very tall members in your family.
3.Chevy Sail base petrol if space is priority. Though let down seriously because of interiors and quality.
4.Ford Figo is a great driver's car with best handling and dynamics and adequate space. But feels old than competition and not so efficient and highway performance is an issue because of low bhp.
5.Honda Brio can be considered if boot space is not a priority or can wait till diesel Brio is launched soon.
6.Hyundai Eon, i10 are good VFM cars and have enough space (though Eon is not spacious) but all Hyundai cars are not comfortable on highways because of bouncy suspension and poor handling.
7.Mahindra Verito Vibe can be considered if the looks and dated image is acceptable. But the car is best in Ride and Space.
8.Maruti Alto, A Star I would never recommend because of cramped interiors and safety factor.
9.Estilo production has been stopped but can be bought with huge discounts if the lack of space and quality is ok with you.
10.Maruti Ritz is a good performer car with good efficiency. But lack of space and boot space is quite evident.
11.Maruti Swift is a favorite of all and is good VFM but the cabin is dark and space is not that much and boot space is quite poor..
12.Maruti Dzire base petrol can also be worth a look as interiors are superb and engines too. But space is clearly not so good.
13.Maruti WagonR is a fantastic city car and hugely spacious and smart option. It is also quite easy on the highway.
14.Nissan Micra Active/Renault Pulse base versions also are worth a look for their good engines, space. But A.S.S is doubtful.
15.Tata Nano can be a good option as its is fantastically spacious and efficient. But ASS for all Tata cars, highway performance and noise are an issue.
16.Tata Indica/Indigo eCS is a 13 year old car. But recent upgrades make it worth a look.
17.Tata Vista is a great family car with good engines and excellent space and comfort. Boot space is not the best.
Choose which one is suitable for you after TD. I would go for Vista or WagonR! [cheers]

Last edited:

Top Bottom