New Car For My Daughter

Thread Starter #1
Hi, my daughter is considering getting a new car for personal use. We live in Pondicherry.

Currently in India, she has been driving a Peugeot 309 which I've mostly given to her and this is the car she learnt to drive in. She likes this car very much and so do I but its more like a classic for us now.

She intends to keep this car and use it but was considering getting a second car as well.

In France she has a Citröen C5 and she finds this an extremely good car.

She actually had already chosen a Renault Pulse (in reality a Nissan Micra rebadged) but unfortunately had a crash that damaged it beyond repair after 3 weeks.

Normally we tend to not like some cars made specifically for Indian market as they aren't always value for money and cut down on things to reduce cost. Her C5 is a very high quality vehicle.

Advice please.

Should she just use the Peugeot or go for another car as well. If she goes for a new car, what models are advisable and good quality cars. She was thinking about getting another Renault Pulse but I'm concerned as she had an accident with it, (no injuries) but could that mean some issue with the car? I don't think so really as Nissan Micra is a popular international car and she said it was fine. Her C5 is obviously much better than Pulse.

She likes Subaru Impreza WRX STI but I don't think that's an option here.

Last edited:
Hi Pierre

What type of accident did she have with the Pulse?

Given the Indian car scene, possibly Fiat Punto or the VW Polo would be a good choice considering safety being the utmost concern. If looking for petrol, Polo TSI might fit the bill.

The only car that comes to mind when I try to compare with the C5, possibly the new Octavia.

Hope that helps.

Thread Starter #4
Hi Pierre

What type of accident did she have with the Pulse?

Given the Indian car scene, possibly Fiat Punto or the VW Polo would be a good choice considering safety being the utmost concern. If looking for petrol, Polo TSI might fit the bill.

The only car that comes to mind when I try to compare with the C5, possibly the new Octavia.

Hope that helps.
I don't know the exact details she overtook a vehicle and rear ended an lorry in front if it that stopped suddenly and did not appear to have working brake lights as per what she said.

If she likes the 309, she'll surely like the VW Vento and Skoda Rapid.
If she's buying something she'll go for a small car like the pulse, micra etc. If not she'll use the 309 as her main car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #8
Ok thanks, she was thinking of

Another Pulse, Micra, Hyundai Eon,hyundai santro Alto 800,spark,

How are they safety and reliability wise?
I don't know why but she says she wants a small and cheap city car. I don't quite like the idea safety wise. In the Pulse vs Lorry accident, the front end of the car was completely under the lorry and crushed.

It looked very much like the picture here

Santro and Alto 800 seem to have a longer front end though.

Last edited:
Fabia is due to be phased out (good car though,bad service)so not a good idea,you can look at the Chevy Beat,its strictly a 4 seater with limited boot space.

Hyundai Eon can be a decent choice although build quality is so so, but seems better than the new 800 & Spark(among your mentioned choice).

Polo is another solid built car(not kidding) & petrol's have nice discounts on offer.

You can take a look at the Honda Amaze too.

Punto is not seemingly liked by women thanks to its long clutch & visibility according to a Punto owner on our forum.

Last edited:
On the safety reasons, nothing even come closer to mighty Punto. Moreover, looks wise its hot too. And there are mighty discounts are on offer. So, I would recommend a Punto.

Dont consider the Eon, Alto, Santro... they are not even Euro ncap rated.

Micra had brake issues ... not sure if they are now rectified.

As others have said, Punto, Polo, Swift and possibly Beat (4 stars NCAP) if safety is your concern.

Thread Starter #13
Thanks for the replies.

Hyundai Eon can be a decent choice although build quality is so so, but seems better than the new 800 & Spark(among your mentioned choice).

You can take a look at the Honda Amaze too.

Punto is not seemingly liked by women thanks to its long clutch & visibility according to a Punto owner on our forum.
How safe is a Hyundai Eon?

Why would 'long clutch and visibility make a difference' for gender of the driver? She is quite tall. But the positioning of pedals in the Punto seem awkward and I tried sitting once in a driver's seat of one and didn't like it.

On the safety reasons, nothing even come closer to mighty Punto. Moreover, looks wise its hot too. And there are mighty discounts are on offer. So, I would recommend a Punto.
Dont consider the Eon, Alto, Santro... they are not even Euro ncap rated.

Micra had brake issues ... not sure if they are now rectified.

As others have said, Punto, Polo, Swift and possibly Beat (4 stars NCAP) if safety is your concern.
Price isn't an issue, but she wants an experience trying what its like owning a lower end car for a change (needs AC though). Her Citröen C5 is a very well made car of good build quality. Safety isn't a huge concern.

She test drove the Eon. Its not a bad car for the price. The problems though are that its acceleration is poor, brakes not too sharp and for some reason the gear shifter vibrates a lot.

Also with the seat in front legroom is a bit cramped and not as easy to use pedals as she's tall but likes to keep the seat in front. She needs to be careful with pedals especially if she's driving in high heeled shoes but overall she finds the csr manageable and good for the price.

In petrol, Honda Brio anytime. Ask her to check the car out once. Its definitely worth it.
We'll consider that.

Hi Pondypierre,
Why is Swift and i10 Grande not being considered,the former is a joy to drive.The latter comes with an Automatic.
Regards,
Aneesh.

Top Bottom