Best Entry Level Diesel Sedan

Thread Starter #1
Dear friends, I think a lot before putting my money and here is what I am planning to buy:
1. Diesel Sedan (Diesel since my monthly running is > 1200 km per month, Sedan since I always wanted to have one and tired of driving hatchback)
2. New Car (no pre-owned car)
3. Should have enough space to sit inside and not ugly looking
4. Mainly I'll drive in City but at times highways as well. I am freak to drive an Alto all the way from Chennai to Kolkata [;)] . So want a car with such dependability.
5. Not worried about fuel efficiency much (15 in city and whatever in highway is fime with me)
6. I feel bad in not having a Turbo (Ford Classic Sedan doesn't have, so I didn't like that)
7. ABS + EBD is must for me but I don't feel for airbag
8. Want to keep the car for at least 10 years which means 150k+ km for me. Then I'll sell the car but don't to be looked like a guy selling peanuts. [embarass]
9. I don't to shell out much money on maintenance but what is more important to me is my car should not sleep at workshop waiting for parts if such time comes...
10. Now come the most important factor: Vitamin M [:D] - around 8 lacs on-road in Kolkata
My Research:
1. Honda Amaze (Less than 4 m car, NVH high, simply didn't like during TD)
2. Swift Dezire (Less than 4 m car, TD not yet taken, Using Maruti for last 7 yrs., I'm not uuphoric about Maruti A.S.S., also have to stretch my budget)
3. Ford Classic (No Turbo, otherwise good car, costly)
4. Toyota Etios (High NVH, didn't like during TD, left TD within 5 minutes since I really hated the car)
5. Mahindra Verito (didn't like the look, also not Value For Money)
6. Chevrolet Sail Sedan (Really liked it)
7. Tata Manza (Really liked it, only doslike is Turbo Lag, but can live with it happily given the features and cabin space)
My Doubt:
1. Am I thinking in right direction? If not, please guide me.
2. We all know what happened to Opel cars, they were also excellent, but now all Opel owners are crying to sell their car (please correct me if I am incorrect). Now GM is under the disguise of Chevy. Chevy Aveo owners, are you getting spares on-time? Chevy Sail would follow the same fate in 10 yrs (I want to keep my car for 10 yrs).
3. Tata niggles, who hasn't heard of that? But should I drop my plan of buying Tata Manza in the fear of road-side breakdown (I don't know though)? Will the spares be available easily?
Please guide me on which car should I buy.

Hi Sambit,
Welcome to TAI.

I think you are going in right direction.

IMO , please do consider the following cars also -

Fiat Linea (You get mouth watering discounts)
Maruti Ertiga (Yes, its an MPV , but you will love those highway drives)
Skoda Rapid/VW Vento (Check the discounts)

I own and drive a TATA Manza, 15K km done till now wonderful to drive in and out of the city. Not many major niggles with my piece (if you can ignore small sounds and all).
Spares are easily available in all major cities.

Happy hunting,

Cheers,
Anshuman

Tata Manza is a very good option. Cabin space is unparalleled. The interiors are also very good and at par with competition.

ASS is an issue but TML is making effort to get better. However need you to research on the ASS in your area. Part are not difficult to source.

With other manufactures you can look at
Fiat Linea,
Honda Amaze

Thread Starter #4
Fiat! What about A.S.S. Only one Fiat Dealer in Kolkata. So I am a bit suspecious with Fiat. I have gone and visited workshop for Tata. Looked good to me. Hence I am thinking more towards Tata Manza diesel now.
Regarding Ertiga, with power window it overshoots my budget by > 1 L. So....

Fiat! What about A.S.S. Only one Fiat Dealer in Kolkata. So I am a bit suspecious with Fiat. I have gone and visited workshop for Tata. Looked good to me. Hence I am thinking more towards Tata Manza diesel now.
Regarding Ertiga, with power window it overshoots my budget by > 1 L. So....
Ertiga LDI comes with ABS.

You can get Power Window and Custom ICE set up done from yourself. All 4 power windows will not cost more than 8K.

If you are going for Manza go for EX or EXL version. On road at Kolkata after discounts should be around 9 lacs.

Last edited:
Manza is a great option for following reasons

*) Space is great.
*) Comfort is good.
*) Cost is in your buget.
*) Good FE
*) Ride quality is good.
*) GC is good.
*) If you maintain it properly and in good condition you will surely get a good resale after ten years.
*) Spares cost is reasonable.
*) Finding a good mechanic is easy in any part of India.
*) Road side assitance available.
*) TASS is really working hard on there after sales and service.

If possible enquire about extended warranty and AMC cost.

Hi Sambit,
Congrats on your decision to get a new ride. you mentioned that you need to stretch your budget if Dzire. Also I could see some suggestions to go or Ertiga / Manza which cost more than Dzire. If you could mention your budget, that would help us in suggesting some thing that comes in your budget.

[surprise] No turbo??!! Yes turbo sir. Yes turbo.
I've heard this before also from a friend of mine when he drove my Fiesta Classic. Isn't this car turbo-charged. Its basically the engine is so finely tuned for driveability that the power delivery is very linear, right from 1200RPM to all the way up, that you don't feel the turbo rush like you get while say driving a Swift Diesel or Manza in which there is a sudden surge of power at 1800-2000rpm.

P.S. - Fiesta Classic diesel is turbo charged.

Regarding your car hunt Sambit,

I guess Tata Manza fits the bill perfectly for you. Acres of space, comfortable ride, Decent mileage, Cost of ownership is also average, won't put a hole in your pocket, A.S.S is a little concern but I guess Tata is improving on that front lately too.

Thread Starter #11
Manza is a great option for following reasons

*) Space is great.
*) Comfort is good.
*) Cost is in your buget.
*) Good FE
*) Ride quality is good.
*) GC is good.
*) If you maintain it properly and in good condition you will surely get a good resale after ten years.
*) Spares cost is reasonable.
*) Finding a good mechanic is easy in any part of India.
*) Road side assitance available.
*) TASS is really working hard on there after sales and service.

If possible enquire about extended warranty and AMC cost.
Thanks for your nice reply. I have personally visited nearby TASS and nothing horrible could find there.

For everyone's interest in this forum: Extended Warranty costs arnd 6.5k for 2 yrs. If one has the extended warranty, (s)he can go for AMC for 4yrs/40000 km whichever is earlier for arnd 20k+ w/o tyre and battery. TASS has a veeeery big ecel sheet about AMC plans but this the plan I think would suit most of the buyers who intend to use for personal use.

Hi Sambit,
Congrats on your decision to get a new ride. you mentioned that you need to stretch your budget if Dzire. Also I could see some suggestions to go or Ertiga / Manza which cost more than Dzire. If you could mention your budget, that would help us in suggesting some thing that comes in your budget.
Sorry friends. One Maruti salewoman told me that Swift Dzire VDI (since I need ABS, it's the only option for me) would cost arnd 9 lacs on-road. So I was thinking Swift Dzire VDI is costlier than Manza. After seeing this, I rechecked with her and she said that it would cost 7.73 lacs on-roads w/o discounts.

My budget is arnd 8 lacs and really don't want to stretch further as I don't wanna go for Finance and it's always a crunch to put down so much cash... But again don't want to loose a mouthwatering VFM for arnd a lac... [:)]

I've heard this before also from a friend of mine when he drove my Fiesta Classic. Isn't this car turbo-charged. Its basically the engine is so finely tuned for driveability that the power delivery is very linear, right from 1200RPM to all the way up, that you don't feel the turbo rush like you get while say driving a Swift Diesel or Manza in which there is a sudden surge of power at 1800-2000rpm.

P.S. - Fiesta Classic diesel is turbo charged.

Regarding your car hunt Sambit,

I guess Tata Manza fits the bill perfectly for you. Acres of space, comfortable ride, Decent mileage, Cost of ownership is also average, won't put a hole in your pocket, A.S.S is a little concern but I guess Tata is improving on that front lately too.
Any idea whether it's fixed geometry or variable geometry turbo? Being a Mechanical engineer, I would think that it's fixed geometry turbo if and only if it has turbo. Also, ford salesman and cardekho.com salespeople told me that Ford Classic doesn't have a turbo but Ford Fiesta has turbo - just wanted to mention to increase confusion [:D]

Last edited by a moderator:
Any idea whether it's fixed geometry or variable geometry turbo? Being a Mechanical engineer, I would think that it's fixed geometry turbo if and only if it has turbo. Also, ford salesman and cardekho.com salespeople told me that Ford Classic doesn't have a turbo but Ford Fiesta has turbo - just wanted to mention to increase confusion [:D]
Fiesta Classic and Figo shares the same engine and many components, so i would surely say it has Turbo and its Fixed Geometry

Any idea whether it's fixed geometry or variable geometry turbo?Also, ford salesman and cardekho.com salespeople told me that Ford Classic doesn't have a turbo but Ford Fiesta has turbo
The Fiesta has a Fixed Geometry Turbo. Ask Ford and cardekho guys to join TAI:biggrin:.

Thread Starter #14
Had test drive of Ertiga Diesel today. NVH is higher but acceptable at high rev. At low rev, no NVH. It has Variable Geometry turbo and no turbo lag.
Beyond 100km/h speed, I was loosing confidence. But handling is good upto 100 kh/h.
Tossing passengers at the 3rd seat but 2nd row seat has good riding comfort - my father said who is analysing the driving comfort from passenger's viewpoint for me. Please note that this riding comfort analysis includes absorbing potholes of road. He has taken ride of both 2nd row and 3rd row seats. Overall he said it has acceptable riding comfort but still he says Manza's ride quality is better. May be older people like "Tata: brand more than our generation.
First gear is not easy but other gears are real smooth including reverse gear.
Brake is not at all good (note that it has ABS + EBD). I mean braking distance is unacceptably higher at sudden high speed braking compared to all the TDs I have taken till date.
Overall, I liked driving it but was not feeling safe at higher speed (hope not attributed to my lack of driving skill since I consider myself as a skilled avid driver with 8 yrs of driving experience and has done highway drives like Chennai-Kolkata, Hyderabad-Kolkata with an Alto).
You guys' comments are invited.

Last edited:
Following links might be useful for you.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-definitive-petrol-v-s-diesel-calculator.html
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-fiesta-classic.htmlQUOTE=sambit_mech;340585]
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...p-daman-haveri-chitradurga-mysore-kerala.html
Maruti salewoman told me that Swift Dzire VDI (since I need ABS, it's the only option for me) would cost arnd 9 lacs on-road. So I was thinking Swift Dzire VDI is costlier than Manza. After seeing this, I rechecked with her and she said that it would cost 7.73 lacs on-roads w/o discounts. so much cash... But again don't want to loose a mouthwatering VFM for arnd a lac... [:)]
In fact manza, due to its sheer comfort and fiat qjd, is a VFM.
In manza, you get a power surge at the said RPM, but it is not as sudden as felt in old verna.

1. Diesel Sedan (Diesel since my monthly running is > 1200 km per month
Why not petrol? ,

with the decrease in the price difference between diesel and petrol seen and expected further in future I feel buying petrol car would be wise for this running unless you expect the monthly running to increase in future.
Should have enough space to sit inside, and not ugly looking
With the history of long trips mentioned by you, Manza and sail sedan suits you better.
Mainly I'll drive in City
This again goes in favour of petrol car.
Want to keep the car for at least 10 years which means 150k+ km for me. Then I'll sell the car but don't to be looked like a guy selling peanuts. [embarass]
The kind and thickness of metals used to construct the car in view of discounts loving new car buyers, most of the entry level cars start looking like pea nuts after 10 years.
]I don't want to shell out much money on maintenance but what is more important to me is my car should not sleep at workshop waiting for parts if such time comes..
Fiesta, rapid, vento spares are costly due to non localisation.
Also, skoda, vw can make you wait for days for spare parts to arrive from abroad.

Swift Dezire (, Using Maruti for last 7 yrs., I'm not uuphoric about Maruti A.S.S., also have to stretch my budget)
what do you mean by uuphobic?
The mediocre comfort levels for 3 people at rear in Dzire makes it less VFM as compared to other4+m sedans as it is clear that the tax benefit associated with sub 4m car is not passed on to the customer by MSIL. :eek:
Mahindra Verito (didn't like the look,)
The diesel comes with 160 nm torque. which lesser than the other cars in question.

Tata niggles, who hasn't heard of that? But should I drop my plan of buying Tata Manza in the fear of road-side breakdown (I don't know though)? Will the spares be available easily?
Please guide me on which car should I buy.
Tata ASS has improved a lot, but you need to do local research on this front. I have changed 3 TASSS, and now happy with both manza and TASS.

If front and rear comfort is equally important, go for sail sedan, if rear comfort is more important than front, go for manza.

Last edited:

Top Bottom