In the Market Looking Out For 4x4 SUV [Edit: Bought a Mitsubishi Pajero Sport]

Please suggest from the shortlists below

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Since my civic is sold and Sumo is probably in the last leg of its life, its time I start looking for something, as with all buyers I am thoroughly confused - especially in the stock 4x4 segment there aren't many options - Infact I am been pulling out my hair and some of Sam Dinkar's as well in frustration!

> Your Budget: Still thinking, cant make up my mind! Sorry about that!

> New or Used: Open to New and low mileage used

> Your Location: Mum/Pune

> Top Five Priorities: 4x4 with Low ratio compulsory(no AWD business), Average to low maintenance, Long term workhorse, Decent in Space for 5, 7 is a bonus, Decent FE, VFM and reliable.

> Monthly Running: About 1500 kms

> Type of Fuel: Diesel only

> For What Purpose: (Eg: Regular Use, Off-Roading) :- Regular Highway usage, Mild to Medium offroading.

> Seating Capacity: 5 minimum, 7 with front facing rows a big bonus, jump seats ok too as a compromise!

> Type of Segment: SUV only.

What are my options, why, pros and cons - Values derived and Compromises to be made - suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Re: In the market looking out for a 4x4 SUV

1) Safari Storme:

Pros: Space, Ride, decent off roadability
Cons: Price (4x4 only in top end), lesser features, Tata A.S.S., jump seats in the boot

2) Fortuner:

Pros: Reliability, durability, good off roadability
Cons: Price, Expensive to maintain, lack lustre cabin

3) Pajero Sport:

Pros: Great off roadability, massive road presence, ride comfort
Cons: Resale, brand image, A.S.S.

4) Land Rover Freelander:

Pros: Image, brand value, awesome off roadability
Cons: Not as spacious, expensive A.S.S., not a 7 seater

If you do not want to spend as much as the Storme top end, get a Scorpio LX 4x4 or a Bolero 4x4. Pros are that it is cheap, low on maintainence and cons are that it is not very spacious and has jump seats in the boot.

Last edited:

IR, the top choice would be Storme of course as it ticks most of the boxes for you. But if you are sure to restrict your off-roading to mild only then even XUV shall be a good option. In used market you may look for Pajero and Montero (a bit costly but is a real performer and enjoys great snob value).

BTW, what's the max budget we are looking at?

Last edited:

If it's not very urgent . Wait for some days .

After the launch of xuv w4 , tata may smell the coffee and launch a lx 4x4 or even a ex 4x4 .

There is also a strong rumor that Berahm Dhabar and his team is making a thar competitior with some inputs from land rover and it might be showcased at auto expo .

Little more details if you need call Sanjaysg and ask him how is the new sumo ? [;)]

And what about Gurkha you dint like it ?

Re: In the Market Looking Out For 4x4 SUV

Tata Safari storme suits all your needs. Also, why not a new Gurkha?

Dharmesh - Is still Bolero 4X4 in production?

Thread Starter #8

1) Safari Storme:

Pros: Space, Ride, decent off roadability
Cons: Price (4x4 only in top end), lesser features, Tata A.S.S., jump seats in the boot

2) Fortuner:

Pros: Reliability, durability, good off roadability
Cons: Price, Expensive to maintain, lack lustre cabin

3) Pajero Sport:

Pros: Great off roadability, massive road presence, ride comfort
Cons: Resale, brand image, A.S.S.

4) Land Rover Freelander:

Pros: Image, brand value, awesome off roadability
Cons: Not as spacious, expensive A.S.S., not a 7 seater

If you do not want to spend as much as the Storme top end, get a Scorpio LX 4x4 or a Bolero 4x4. Pros are that it is cheap, low on maintainence and cons are that it is not very spacious and has jump seats in the boot.
Ill have to keep the budget then for 2LRs one for the usual running and one for spares!:tongue:
T-Fort maintenance is expensive is the first time I am hearing, owners swear its nearly equal to a small diesel sedan -> Can you elaborate ?

IR, the top choice would be Storme of course as it ticks most of the boxes for you. But if you are sure to restrict your off-roading to mild only then even XUV shall be a good option. In used market you may look for Pajero and Montero (a bit costly but is a real performer and enjoys great snob value).

BTW, what's the max budget we are looking at?
Need to firm up on budget first, i am all over the place currently- XUV is ruled out - its a softy.

If it's not very urgent . Wait for some days .

After the launch of xuv w4 , tata may smell the coffee and launch a lx 4x4 or even a ex 4x4 .

There is also a strong rumor that Berahm Dhabar and his team is making a thar competitior with some inputs from land rover and it might be showcased at auto expo .

Little more details if you need call Sanjaysg and ask him how is the new sumo ? [;)]

And what about Gurkha you dint like it ?
Waiting for Tata could be like like waiting for ice to melt on top of mount everest.
Yes, have heard about new Sumo but is it going to be in 4x4 version - doubt that. Gurkha is on the list, I do have a soft corner for it i must admit.

Used Fortuner will be good option, you can get a good one in hadapsar [;)]
Used Toyota Fortuner Cars in Pune - Second Hand Toyota Fortuner in Pune - CarWale
To be honest hardly any used T-Forts in Pune right now, all are already gone. Impressive resale value a T-Fort commands.

I would say go for Bolero 4X4. It is cheaper to own and maintain.
If it was a direct replacement for the Sumo , would have considered it but really i am looking at a longer term comfortable cross country reliable runner as well.

Tata Safari storme suits all your needs. Also, why not a new Gurkha?

Dharmesh - Is still Bolero 4X4 in production?
Both are in contention, Storme and Gurkha!

Last edited:

Hunting for a pre-owned car isn't easy, especially if it's a Fortuner. If you aren't in a hurry, waiting for the upcoming Scorpio could be handy.

If given some time you may probably find a few used T-forts in good condition as well .End your search if the price demanded makes any sense.[:D]

With the facelift awaited soon, going in for the current 4WD Scorpio [LX or VLX] doesn't make any sense to me. Pick from the new Scorpio [if offered in 4WD], Storme and Gurkha, with an added advantage of giving it a try in the used Fortuner market as well.

The Force Gurkha is a good choice in your budget. However if you need highway driving too, i suggest you to wait for the force one's lx 4x4 which is the first in India with differential locks!

Since my civic is sold
[frustration] What!! You sold a nice quick sedan for some truck!!

and Sumo is probably in the last leg of its life, its time I start looking for something, as with all buyers I am thoroughly confused - especially in the stock 4x4 segment there aren't many options - Infact I am been pulling out my hair and some of Sam Dinkar's as well in frustration!
Err.. that means if the confusion won't come to an end soon, then two 'Marshals' are going to turn bald! Serious issue it is then.

Ummm, in case you have unlimited budget then Mercedes Benz G 55 AMG or Audi Q-7 4.2 V8 TDI(Even 6.0 V12 TDI if you can wait for it to arrive here) and if you also fell in my category then I am putting bar on 25-30 max.

Low mileage used is tough to find at a decent price(In case of Toyota Fortuner) and even if found then who knows what it has been through till date.

> Top Five Priorities:
  • 4x4 with Low ratio compulsory(no AWD business) - Tata Safari Storme, Mitsubishi Pajero, Toyota Fortuner, Force Gurkha, Bolero
  • Average to low maintenance: None of the above mentioned costs a bomb to maintain.
  • Long term workhorse: It will be safest to use the word 'Toyota' here, rest Bolero is also a good long term workhorse. Others I won't comment due to lack of my experience in terms of those cars.
  • Decent in Space for 5, 7 is a bonus: If only space is needed then leave for Gurkha all have that and if comfortable seating for 7 is needed then Fortuner is the one who has got it.
  • Decent FE: All of the mentioned have decent FE for the power and performance they have on tap.
  • VFM and reliable: Leave for the T-Fort(Maybe Pajero Sport too), all others look VFM for what we pay for them.
Well, every car will be 'low maintenance' for you at this running, given the running is done on roads and highways and sometimes mild offroading.

> For What Purpose: (Eg: Regular Use, Off-Roading) :- Regular Highway usage, Mild to Medium offroading.
Mild to medium off road, hmm.. Fortuner or Storme.

> Seating Capacity: 5 minimum, 7 with front facing rows a big bonus, jump seats ok too as a compromise!
Once again, its T-Fort if you need 7 comfy seats.
What are my options, why, pros and cons - Values derived and Compromises to be made - suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance!
Overall my suggestion is only T-Fort, pros and cons you know better than me.

Last edited:

T-Fort maintenance is expensive is the first time I am hearing, owners swear its nearly equal to a small diesel sedan -> Can you elaborate ?
In comparison to the Storme and Scorpio.

Prices of regular servicing and spares of Toyota is higher.

Since my civic is sold and Sumo is probably in the last leg of its life, its time I start looking for something, as with all buyers I am thoroughly confused - especially in the stock 4x4 segment there aren't many options - Infact I am been pulling out my hair and some of Sam Dinkar's as well in frustration!

> Your Location: Mum/Pune

> Top Five Priorities: 4x4 with Low ratio compulsory(no AWD business), Average to low maintenance, Long term workhorse, Decent in Space for 5, 7 is a bonus, Decent FE, VFM and reliable.

> Type of Fuel: Diesel only

> Type of Segment: SUV only.

I was in a somewhat similar situation around this time last year. Having bought safari storme VX 4x4, and after 14000 kms, 8 months I think I made the right decision.

Storme has worked out really good till now and with the 4 yr extended warranty and AMC options available, I do think this will continue for remaining part of 4 years.

I would recommend you considering the Storme.

Last edited by a moderator:

@IR

With your requirements and suggestions from members, I could see that Fortuner and Storme tick more boxes for you.

How about Rexton and Endeavor

Check this out

Force Motors Force One 2.2 Diesel 4x4 | Cars First Drive | SUV/Crossovers | Autocar India

We drove the Force One on Force Motors’ short tarmac and concrete track, hardly the place to test 4x4 hardware. After all, this BorgWarner hardware is not meant for on-road use. The electronically-operated shift mechanism allows you to shift two-wheel High to four-wheel High on the go. However, to shift to four-wheel Low, the Force One needs to be at a complete standstill. Surely the driven front wheels and limited slip differential at the rear will be a boon in loose and slippery conditions. However, with a long wheelbase and nearly two tones of weight, it is best to keep the Force away from the really adventurous terrain.

Under the hood, the LX carries over the 2.2-litre FMTech diesel motor. The 139bhp of power and 32.9kgm of torque feel less eager thanks to the additional hardware it’s lugging around.

On the inside, the Force One LX gets a faux brushed metal finish for the centre console and the door pads to distinguish it from the SX variant with which it shares a lengthy equipment list. Plastic quality and dashboard design are still disappointing. The LS is expected to be priced Rs 1.5 to 2 lakh dearer than the SX, which means it isn’t cheap. However, if you are looking for an SUV with a voluminous cabin, brutish dimensions and four driven wheels, even at this price point the Force One LX offers decent value.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom