Selecting a Diesel Hatchback

Thread Starter #1
Hi,
I am planing for a good diesel hatchback. I want it to be durable, I mean I will be using it for another 7-10 years minimum. I don't want to change the car frequently. The car in my mind is Fiat Punto. I like the car but I am very much confused about the after sales service, service cost & availability of spare parts. Is there any improvements after they separated from TATA? Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I am planing for a good diesel hatchback. I want it to be durable, I mean I will be using it for another 7-10 years minimum. I don't want to change the car frequently. The car in my mind is Fiat Punto. I like the car but I am very much confused about the after sales service, service cost and cost & availability of spare parts. Is there any improvements after they separated from TATA?Pls help..
Though not a major change, but PUNTO ABARTH is in near horizon. Anyways please follow http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-shopper/1298-looking-buy-car-must-read.html for us to understand your complete requirement set and help you more

The Punto is a great, reliable car. The torque is excellent at 190 Nm @ 1750 rpm for the regular diesel engine. Fiat after sales service remains an issue. The Maruti Swift & Ritz also use the same Fiat engine that powers the Punto -- and are worthwhile alternatives. The resale value of Maruti Swift will be much higher when you sell it 7 years later.

Also, consider the diesel versions of Toyota Liva and Hundai i10 also - these cars have a good build quality and are considered reliable too with a better after sales service as compared to Fiat.

Hi,
I am planing for a good diesel hatchback. I want it to be durable, I mean I will be using it for another 7-10 years minimum. I don't want to change the car frequently. The car in my mind is Fiat Punto. I like the car but I am very much confused about the after sales service, service cost and cost & availability of spare parts. Is there any improvements after they separated from TATA?Pls help..
Hi moncyin, well you haven't mentioned about your budget but still my two cents here. Since you plan to have the car with you for at least 10 years you have an array of options. Though you have Punto in your mind which according to me is one of the best hatchbacks in terms of power, build quality, looks but on the A.S.S part it has to improve. Having said that FIAT after parting ways with TATA is doing very good and they are very aggressive to improve the A.S.S. Going by the words of their Indian CEO, FIAT plans to have around 100 dealers across India by this year end so definitely there is scope for improvement.

It would be nice if you create a wishlist of cars and do a TD before finalizing. Try TD of Punto, Grand i10, Vista, Liva, Micra, the tried and tested Swift. Do a thorough analysis and take a call.

Thread Starter #5
Thank you all. My budget is max 7.5Lacs. I was keeping myself away from more options as I would get confused and decision making would be tough. One of my main concern is safety. I think fiat is much ahead of other competitors. Now I am having i10, definitely a good car but for long drive I think it's not enough. It is a good city car.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all a heartiest welcome to the forum moncyin. Hope you have a great stay here.

With your kind of budget, there is an array of products which you can look at.

Considering you want to keep this car for a long term, reliability and after sales service has to be the key factor in your decision making.

Fiat Punto has been in the market for over 4 years now and has been a decently reliable car overall. It is one of the most sturdiest vehicles in this segment, built like a tank and feels absolutely safe out on the highways. Not to mention best in the segment ride and handling. Fiat has recently started retailing on their own and are very serious about the Indian market. Availability of parts should not be a problem and the service cost too is on the average side, not very expensive. Downside would be dismal re-sale and a 4 year old design, though its still one of the best looking hatch in the country.

Another car that you can look at is Swift diesel ZDI/VDI. Comes with the same multijet engine but with the after sales backing of Maruti Suzuki. Long term reliability of this car won't be a problem, but Swift does tend to show its age after about 30-40 thousand kilometer's on the odo. Some small niggles, weird noises inside the cabin. But would be a very good option in the long run.

Other cars which you can look at are Hyundai i20 and Toyota Liva. Do take a test drive of the above mentioned cars and see for yourself whichever suits your requirements the best.

Thread Starter #7
First of all a heartiest welcome to the forum moncyin. Hope you have a great stay here.

With your kind of budget, there is an array of products which you can look at.

Considering you want to keep this car for a long term, reliability and after sales service has to be the key factor in your decision making.

Fiat Punto has been in the market for over 4 years now and has been a decently reliable car overall. It is one of the most sturdiest vehicles in this segment, built like a tank and feels absolutely safe out on the highways. Not to mention best in the segment ride and handling. Fiat has recently started retailing on their own and are very serious about the Indian market. Availability of parts should not be a problem and the service cost too is on the average side, not very expensive. Downside would be dismal re-sale and a 4 year old design, though its still one of the best looking hatch in the country.

Another car that you can look at is Swift diesel ZDI/VDI. Comes with the same multijet engine but with the after sales backing of Maruti Suzuki. Long term reliability of this car won't be a problem, but Swift does tend to show its age after about 30-40 thousand kilometer's on the odo. Some small niggles, weird noises inside the cabin. But would be a very good option in the long run.

Other cars which you can look at are Hyundai i20 and Toyota Liva. Do take a test drive of the above mentioned cars and see for yourself whichever suits your requirements the best.

Thank you, I am getting so much of valuable imformation... [:)] Great....

I like swift and gone for a TD earlier... Yes it is a great car but so disappointed about the rear seat and boot. I think the ZDi is slightly over priced.

I have seen similar comments about punto - built like a tank, solid build quality, rock solid etc.. actually what does it mean? Few days back I saw a punto and I just pushed on the door metal and it's been moved inside slightly, same like my i10. I think the gauge of the metals are the same kind I think... Is there something else that makes the car more solid? I am just curious...

Thank you, I am getting so much of valuable imformation... [:)] Great....

I like swift and gone for a TD earlier... Yes it is a great car but so disappointed about the rear seat and boot. I think the ZDi is slightly over priced.

I have seen similar comments about punto - built like a tank, solid build quality, rock solid etc.. actually what does it mean? Few days back I saw a punto and I just pushed on the door metal and it's been moved inside slightly, same like my i10. I think the gauge of the metals are the same kind I think... Is there something else that makes the car more solid? I am just curious...
When you take swift & punto in a 4 laned highway and push it further 130+ speeds you will definitely get the answer for the above question.the steel used for punto is much better than the swift and i10.

The highway stability of punto will be on par with sedans.the same multijet engine on swift, vista etc gives more mileage but with a compromise on performance.kerb weight of punto is higher than swift.

If you prefer resale value, mileage, better ASS go for swift else on punto due to better stability, looks, more rear space (compared to swift).

Top Bottom