Hyundai i20 vs Honda Amaze

Thread Starter #1
hey all,

As the title suggests I am thoroughly confused between hyundai i20 magna(O) and Honda Amaze 1.2 SMT i-VTEC.
Both these cars offer almost the same features except that i20 has a better music player then amaze but that's not the issue.

What I am confused about is the claims of certain people regarding i20 having an underpowered engine and Honda having a comparatively better one. Also, I am planning to install a CNG kit in the near future in whichever car I buy.

What are your opinions?
thanks.

Hyundai i20 is clearly bigger car than amaze both on length and width with more features like Automatic Climate Control, Rear Defogger, Electrically Adjustable & Retractable ORVMS With Turn Indicators etc. But as you mentioned, the petrol version of i20 feels bit underpowered on an open road. But for a city commodity its a fine car.

On the other hand, Honda is supremely mastered in petrol cars. So, there wouldn't be any problem with amaze.

Regarding CNG kit, I don't think you could able to install it, as long as you want the official warranty on your cars.

On the price wise, Amaze doesn't have any discounts, But i20 does.

Adding CNG kits to both cars would convert them in to worst powered cars.

Better to go for cars which come with inbuilt CNG Kits(sx4, city) else buy a used sedan/ hatch/CS and then fit the kit rather than buying i20 /Amaze ( top notch products in their segments) , then converting them in to used ones , and then fitting a CNG Kit.

Adding CNG kits to both cars would convert them in to worst powered cars.

Better to go for cars which come with inbuilt CNG Kits(sx4, city) else buy a used sedan/ hatch/CS and then fit the kit rather than buying i20 /Amaze ( top notch products in their segments) , then converting them in to used ones , and then fitting a CNG Kit.
+1.

Moreover, instead of spending that extra money on CNG, you can put that amount to buy the diesel version of these cars which have more power and mileage.

No offence my friend, but dont put a CNG in either of them. Rather wait for honda to launch a CNG version of Amaze if you want only CNG and either of the two. I dont think hyundai is even contemplating the idea to add CNG. Also adding CNG on your own, other than asking for a good amount will also deny you from insurance claims and maintenace as they will not be company fitted/ authorized dealer fitted. Not sure on the power post CNG fitting, as CNG will reduce power by 15-20% from a petrol engine.

Coming to i20, you feel it underpowered on highways when you want to make a high speed overtake, but in city it wont feel a thing, unless you want to race around. It is a highly luxurious car and offers great kit and features. Also it has a bigger size than Amaze (dont see company defined length breadth, but sit inside the car and feel)

Amaze has a honda engine, and no one can beat the sheer power and refinement of a honda petrol motor. But the kit inside and features are bare minimum when compared to i20. Also seats are not so luxurious, and the build (in my opinion) is a tin quality and made to cost. It may just give you a feel of a sedan, but will always remind you it is a cheap and nade to cost sedan.

I as a person believe to be king of a small kingdom rather than a peasant of the world's greatest kingdom. Hence in same thought process, my vote is for i20 (king of hatch vs amaze - peasant of sedans)

N.B. If you are not adamant on only i20/amaze, then if you jot down your complete requirement, we may help you with more options.

Last edited:
IMO, I20 is a over priced car. But no question on the car's look and other stuff provided with the car.
If you will compare engine wise hand down Honda wins.
Heard like I20's steering is bit unstable on highway drive. Unstable I mean to say it becomes too light to handle.
Honda Tag is more reliable than Hyundai.

I would say honda amaze over hyundai i20, for the same reasons mentioned above. When I had a TD of i20, it was really underpowered. I could feel it. Not advisable to change to CNG kit

Thread Starter #9
Thank you all for the responses.

I currently drive a maruti swift ldi and the daily run is about 80 kms to drive to my office and back and out of town drives on weekends. During TD I did not feel that the i20 was underpowered and during brio's TD( they did not have amaze and brio and amaze has the same engine) the feeling was much superior.

And yes I have my options open and so I will list down all optins as per format( sorry, this is my first post).

> Your Budget: Rs.7 – 8 Lakh ( do note that I am buying this car in a corporate plan i.e. the RTO is doubled)

> New or Used: New Car

> Your Location: Mumbai

> Top Five Priorities: Comfort, Design,Low Maintenance, Safety, Luggage Space

> Monthly Running: Between 2500 – 3000 Kms

> Type of Fuel: Diesel/Petrol (preferrably diesel)

> For What Purpose: Regular Use

> Seating Capacity: 5

> Type of Segment: sedan/hatch

There is a long list of cars that is available in this price range, both sedan and hatchback.

Ford ecosport: only the base version is affordable .
Nissan Sunny: Loved this car but again only the base version.
Chevrolet Sail: TD felt bumpy and transmission was glitchy.
Honda Brio: Nice car but rather go for amaze then this hatch.
indigo manza: I am yet to TD this car but don't like its looks.
ford figo: I am yet to TD this but I have read a lot of good reviews about this car.
Etios: The interiors are bad and don't like the centrally allingned dashboard.
VW Polo: expensive to maintain.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Last edited:
Now since you already own a swift, is there a possibility of you waiting till early next year? Say till march 2014 ?

You missed out the Punto too. TD a punto/linea. This one had caught my attention before the Honda i-vtec.

Thread Starter #11
Now since you already own a swift, is there a possibility of you waiting till early next year? Say till march 2014 ?

You missed out the Punto too. TD a punto/linea. This one had caught my attention before the Honda i-vtec.
can't wait.
Need it within a month or two.

Last edited:
your monthly running askes you for a diesel car as you already are owning one.
Why you want to buy a new petrol car and turn it into cng, the costs of petrol and cng both are going upwards.
If possible try to extend your budget a bit and go for a diesel sedan/hatch/CS version of car you like to own.
Out of the shortlisted ones you wuld be able to get Honda Amaze diesel in your budget,
Maruti swift dzire, the same car you own but with added boot
Hyundai i20 diesel.

Thread Starter #13
If possible try to extend your budget a bit and go for a diesel sedan/hatch/CS version of car you like to own.
Out of the shortlisted ones you wuld be able to get Honda Amaze diesel in your budget,
Maruti swift dzire, the same car you own but with added boot
Hyundai i20 diesel.
I cannot extend the budget.
I am looking for a car that has on road price of around 7.2L which will have around 60k of corporate tax bringing the car price to the max budget range.
Honda Amaze diesel starting variant costs me 8.91L in mumbai so that is out of question.
Plus my swift is in very good condition and hopefully it will last for another 3 years or so and hence I am thinking of a feature rich petrol car although I am still considering ford figo diesel top end if i don't end up buying either of this two.

Since you are preferring a diesel car. why are u thinking of a cng option. As per my info cng kits are only available for petrol car and not for diesel

With your budget and specification ,feature rich and same time diesel car will have very limited choice.
Ford Figo(D) sound good to me now. Probably I20,Punto diesel base version can join this specification. But since you need feature loaded these are out of picture.
Consider Figo Diesel .

Top Bottom