Looking For a New Car in 11 Lakh (Rapid/Vento/Fiesta) Booked - Fiesta Style Diesel

Thread Starter #1
Guys,

Im looking out for a car which would replace my Manza.

Im using Manza for the past 3.5 years and i was satisfied with it. but due to some unusual niggles recently i really got fedup with it and im planning to replace it. apart from the niggles but it served me well for 46000 kms. it has got good mileage, good comfort in long drives.

here are my requirements.

gonna use it for 9-10 years (maximum)
my monthly run would be 1500 kms (minimum)
i will be using it 90% of the time. my dad may use it in the week ends (may be). he has a figo and hes well satisfied with it.
we use it for long drives 6-8 times in a year.
80% of the time, i will be travelling alone, in the week ends my wife & son will travel in it.

thats it.

my budget is 10.5 to 11 Lk.

i have short listed the following cars

Skoda Rapid
VW Vento
Ford Fiesta New

I have been hearing lots of horror stories about skoda and i heard recently seems like many are satisfied with it. not sure if its real. if i select Rapid, planning to give it to service in German Tech (GermanTech). German Tech is the first private Skoda Service center in India exclusively for Skoda Vehicles.

Please advice me is Vento is worth than Rapid ?

Im also happy with the servicing in Ford in Kairalee Ford, Trivandrum. But is Fiesta really worth than Rapid/Vento. Overall Fiesta is really fun to drive.

Heard that Honda City Diesel will be launched soon. shud i wait for it ?

Please advice me on Verna 1.6 (EX) too.

Re: Looking out for new car in 10-11 Lakh Budget (Rapid/Vento/Fiesta)

Go ahead with Verna EX 1.6 because reliability Hyundai > VW > FORD > SKODA

Seeing your set of requirements, I want to ask one more question to zero down on choice.

1. Will you be driving mostly on the highways or within the city?

If you plan to drive off more on the highways, Rapid/ Vento/ Fiesta would be the better choice because of their road mannerism and handling. Verna feels a little unsettling at high speeds and the steering is pretty lifeless at those speeds which gives it a slight nervous feel to it. For city usage, Verna is one of the best vehicles and there the light steering is an absolute boon.
Suspension is also tuned on the softer side for more comfort, but there is a good amount of vertical movement when driving on undulating roads. Though not noticeable at lower speeds.

Since you plan to keep the car for a long time i.e. 9 to 10 years, I am guessing re-sale should not be a factor in your buying decision either.

Now for Honda City diesel, the rumor is it will be showcased in the Auto Expo 2014 next year in January and will launch a couple of months later. So still good 6-7 months away.

Ford new Fiesta is also heading for an upgrade next year and will have the refreshed model in the market by mid 2014 and Ford is trying to price it aggressively seeing the current model's dismal response. Going for one now doesn't make much sense unless you are getting substantial discounts on it. Its the most fun to drive car among other cars in this segment no doubt.

If I were to pick, I would go for either Vento or Rapid as both of them are solidly built, have a fun to drive torquey engine with good road handling. Just make sure to get some feedback about the A.S.S. from existing customers about both the VW and Skoda dealer in your city. Have heard Skoda is trying its best to improve its dealership and A.S.S. experience recently. Though long term reliability still seem to be a big question mark. Overall, Rapid seems to be a better value preposition against the Vento.

Would suggest you to take long test drives of all these cars i.e. Rapid/Vento/Verna and see for yourself which one you are comfortable driving in.

Thread Starter #4

1. Will you be driving mostly on the highways or within the city?
60% on highways and 40% in city. But in the highway, the max speed we can travel is not more than 80 KMPH. (Trivandrum to Kanyakumari)

Well then you can give a thought to the Verna too. At 80kmph the drive is fairly decent, though steering feedback is something which is a bit lacking but rest otherwise the ride would be comfortable at those speeds. Anything beyond 110kmph mark and it starts losing its composure a bit. Plus Verna comes loaded with features and Hyundai is one of the more reliable manufacturer's in our country, so for the long run this will suit your requirements. Though maintenance is on the higher side for Hyundai's also these days but it surely will undercut the VW or Skoda.

All cars have their own sets of positives and negatives. Would advice you on taking back to back test drives for all three and decide for yourself which suits your requirements the best.

My order among the cars you have listed would be Vento, Rapid, Fiesta. Though between Vento and Rapid there is nothing much to choose I put the Vento ahead for the stunning looks (exterior). Also the new Vento is much better loaded than the Rapid.

i would suggest get a comparative service costs details of all the cars especially the vento/ rapid and fiesta.
verna could be a contender since it is loaded and a good looker too.
you can try and stretch it to fluence too. there were some discounts available on them since it is a slow moving product.

I would suggest to go with Rapid Diesel, i own one and quite satisfied. Regarding A.S.S, i too was apprehensive but reading lot of forums ,i found that Skoda service depends more on your dealer. In Hyd, Mahavir auto is doing a fair enough job ( Better than my GM-Opel experience). PM me , if you need any other specific details.

Looking at your requirements, budget, usage etc i would suggest you cars in the following rank:
1. Hyundai Verna: The reason why Hyundai would be my first choice and i put it on top is because you will be keeping the car for a long term and talking about reliability Hyudai wins it from the given choices. Secondly it is well equipped with features and have good looks as well.
2. Skoda Rapid: Recently i have been hearing good things about Skoda when it comes to A.S.S from my friends. And i have Fabia to Superb in my frien circle. Also now days Skoda is providing Leisure model which i think is a VFM.
3. Volkswagen Vento: Rapid looks better than the Vento in looks (Purely subjective).
4. Ford Fiesta: I guess next year Ford will most probably come up with a facelift, so you wont wanna go for a model which is going to be obsolete.

Thread Starter #11
after lots of test drives among these three cars and reading reviews from various sites, i hav finalized ford fiesta style diesel (white).

hope will get it by the end of this month.

Congrats msjawahar on selecting the Ford. Its an absolutely brilliant car to drive no doubt. Can you share the details of the deal you got on the Ford. It will surely help few other members in their car hunt. Congrats once again and hope you get it in your hands soon.

Thread Starter #13
Congrats msjawahar on selecting the Ford. Its an absolutely brilliant car to drive no doubt. Can you share the details of the deal you got on the Ford. It will surely help few other members in their car hunt. Congrats once again and hope you get it in your hands soon.
thanks GM88.

I have selected Style Diesel variant (white).

The Actual OTR price is 10.92 L. There is a offer of 1.5 Lk from Ford. So the OTR price is 9.42 Lk. I will get another discount of Loyalty Bonus since we own a Figo too.

the sales guy and the manager promised that its a 2013 model. Will have to check everything during PDI.

This offer from ford is for the current month.

Eagerly waiting for the beauty [:)]

Last edited:
Wow that is an absolute steal of a deal you've got there. Congrats once again. Surely do an extensive PDI before sending the car to the RTO. Congrats once again and we will be waiting for an ownership review of your white beauty soon.

Thread Starter #15
Re: Looking For a New Car in 11 Lakh (Rapid/Vento/Fiesta) Booked - Fiesta Style Diese

Wow that is an absolute steal of a deal you've got there. Congrats once again. Surely do an extensive PDI before sending the car to the RTO. Congrats once again and we will be waiting for an ownership review of your white beauty soon.
thanks... wil definitely post my ownership review of it.

infact i read hell a lot of reviews of Fiesta before shortlisting it.

Rapid was another contender of it. The A.S.S experience was the only reason that i found a major issue in it.

spoke to a owner who was Fiesta. He used to change his car every one year for the past 6 years. just a crazy guy. but he is keeping his fiesta for the past 2 years as he is much satisfied with it.

Last edited:

Top Bottom