Car Buy: Wrong Way, Confused, Decided..!!!

Thread Starter #1
I bought my pre-worshiped Honda City ZX GXi in April 2011 on the day of the long awaited World Cup Cricket Final where India won the title.
So it is a very memorable acquisition throughout my life.
She served me very well till date however, after using her for more than 2 years (7 years old over all) I feel am outdated and its time for an upgrade.

As many people do, I was also thinking of a lateral upgrade initially.
After using niggle free & dependable Honda for more than 2 years, both my wife & me were scared if we will be satisfied with any other brand cars.
Still we looked out for options from other brands.

Primary features under consideration were Power, Safety, Reliability & Looks.
Cars that made into the final list were:
1. Chevy Cruze
2. Honda Civic

Went through all the used car portals and painfully realized that I will have to deal with the used car dealers/ showrooms only.
More than 90% of the ADs were from the used car dealers.
Even checked OLX & Quikr, they will mention in the ADs as owners and when we talk in detail, the truth emerges and ends up with dealer.
I was not very comfortable dealing with these guys : Why? - a few instances mentioned below.

Bad Experience 1:-
While dealing with the used car showrooms & agents, Over the phone they will say the car is great without even a slight scratch, but in reality, it would not even be close.
I was irritated with one of the very reputed dealers (with named of a river) who claimed a car to be scratch less and he also said he will bring it down to my place for test drive.
He also told that a service charge will be applicable if I turn down the deal just for silly reasons like not liking the Reg Num, car color etc & I agreed.
When the car came down, it had scratches all over, could spot more than 10 small dents, couple of major dents on the rear and driver door & right fender.
Another major dent was spotted on the roof as well, which seem like a hammer being dropped from 2nd floor or so, also rust was there.
They are saying that these are very common and the price quoted was unjustifiable - 9.8L non-nego for Civic VMT 2010 Oct car, done 28K KMs.
Worst part is that they charged me 500 bucks for bringing the car to my place.

Bad Experience 2:-
I saw a Civic VMT in one of the biggest luxury used car dealers in BTM area, really liked it and took a test drive, it was in a real good shape.
2010 Aug, 23K on ODO, They quoted 10.1L and negotiated to a final of 9.75L; I was almost convinced to get it (though I knew its overpriced), but did not confirm, just walked out that day.
I was really worried if someone will give an advance and take it.
It was on a Tuesday that I went to showroom, was regularly checking the used car portals and saw the same car price revised on that Friday.
I was shocked to see the newly quoted price, it was 8.75L - Can you believe it..?
I called them and asked what is going on, they were like the price is revised and all jargons. [frustration]
Was really lucky that I did not pay the booking amount on Tuesday, infact was planning to drop in and do so on Saturday.
I did not pay advance that day due to a reason, the car was not Bangalore registered, it was a Mangalore side car.
Then I realized there is something wrong and took the car to the HASS for checkup.
Told the dealers that am taking it to Whitefield Honda and went to Dakshin Honda, along with one person from the dealer.
They did a full checkup, I went into the workshop and was with the workers looking under the chassis and was asking question to them.
Then came the workshop supervisor charging at the workers.
He called a few of them and took to the corner and was talking,later came to me and told I shouldnt be inside there.
I told him my situation and said what am looking for.
Initially I thought he was a demon but later he turned out to be an angel, though the workers got some scolding that day.
He came to me and started explaining me his observations one by one, in detail, with proofs.
The car has met with some major accident, the back side was completely redone.
The dealers were initially saying it is an accident free car, neatly maintained, etc.
They even said the car though was registered not in Bangalore, it is maintained here.
That claim was also busted the moment we stepped into the HASS as no service history was available in B'lore for the car.

Saw a few more Cruzes and Civics but all were overpriced.
Cruzes were over 11L and Civics were over 9.5L - I was looking at 2009 or newer models in both.
Though I was ready to shell out upto 9.5L to 10L, never came across any example worth spending that much.
I can see almost all the cars that I looked at, almost 6 months back, in the used car portals, even today.
Am glad that I did not fall into any trap.

Then came in a few questions & comments from my Mom, on this topic.
Why do you want to spend 10L on a car now, what is the problem with the current one?
Why are you looking at a used car when you are willing to part with upto 10L, why not look for a new one?
If you buy a used car now, for 10L, will you use it for the next 5 to 8 years?

She knows my inclination towards the big cars/ trucks, SUVs - Safari & XUV to be precise and I knew she is targeting that.
I started thinking then, Well... will I be satisfied with Civic for the next 5 years?
Considering the fact that new face-lifted Civic is expected in another year or so?
Will I be satisfied with Cruze, I will not get the new Cruze for anything less than 12L-14L, which means I will only get the previous generation car for my budget.

So made the decision, after a lot of discussions, debates, contemplations, etc, that its gonna be a new car. [lol]
Thanks to my Mom for giving that trigger.
Though I had the new car thought in me, was not confident to shell out more than 12L on car.
None of the new cars below 15L made us interested.

Details on the new car shortlist & final decision coming soon..!!!

Hi TrafficHacker, Welcome to TAI.

Yes these used car dealers are always trying ti rip you off. They manipulate the ODO meter readings and all stuffs. I would always suggest t buy car from private owner.

BTW, did you book/buy new car or are you still in process of selecting one and need help from TAIans?

Thread Starter #3
Hi TrafficHacker, Welcome to TAI.

Yes these used car dealers are always trying ti rip you off. They manipulate the ODO meter readings and all stuffs. I would always suggest t buy car from private owner.

BTW, did you book/buy new car or are you still in process of selecting one and need help from TAIans?
@dharmesh, Above mentioned is just two instances of my bad experience with the dealers, there were multiple more.
Since the post was becoming gigantic, I conserved it for a later time.

Yes the ODO tampering was also noticed in a few cases, which could be very easily identified.
Some dealers think customers are real brainless.
One car I saw was having <25K on the ODO, but the tyres were worn out completely, which proved to have clocked more than 60K.

By the way my initial post covers the 'Wrong Way' only - 'Confused' & 'Decided' are yet to come. [;)]
Am working on those post details, will upload them soon.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...pecting-second-hand-car-exhaustive-guide.html
As I see you are easily diagnosing foul plays done by dealers, you are on right path and infact less confused, I hope you are gone through these links http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-shopper/1298-looking-buy-car-must-read.html
Please give details as above so that discussion can be more fruitful.
Also mention about road conditions around you.
Also mention number, built height, age occupiers on rear seat.

And if you already own the newly decided car then ask the mods to shift this thread to Ownership Reviews

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
As I named this thread, I divide my experience under 3 main subjects.
Wrong Way, Confused, Decided - of which Wrong Way was covered in my initial post in this thread.
Here comes the second installment of the lot:-

Confused : Which New Car..?

My current car- Honda City ZX called for an upgrade not only because she was getting old & out dated (read features), but also due to the Ground Clearance (GC) problems.
Its only my wife and me among the regular users of the car, in B'lore, but there use to be our parents also visiting us from native (Kerala) quite frequently.
Which makes it around six people on board, be it even five, my car's under belly scrapes almost all the stupid speed breakers in B'lore.
So the primary features under consideration were revised to add a good GC as well along with Power, Safety, Reliability & Looks.

Also I was smitten by the idea of getting an SUV from pretty long time.
It all started when I was a kid, back in 1998-99 times, when I first saw and had a drive in our family friend's the Tata Safari.
Then my dream vehicle was it and have had dreams of owning & driving one, since those days.

In 2011 when I planned for buying my first own car, I had considered a used Safari, but almost everyone discouraged me due to obvious reasons.
Then I test drove a new Safari Dicor, though my pocket was not letting me go for it then.
I would still have gone for it, if it could blow me away during the TD, but was disappointed with long gear (first gear) throw, huge turning radius, hard clutch, etc to name a few.

It was then the newbie to the market did catch my attention - The M&M XUV5OO.
Went to Shirish Automobiles Bommanahalli to have a test drive.
I was amazed at the feature rich, beast looking XUV.
I almost was sold at it and started doing the research on the car.
Soon enough the niggles threads started to grow in almost all the automotive forums, which made me keep away for the time being.

Coming to the current day, having Tata launched the latest member of the stable - Safari Storme, had to go for a TD to check her out.
Was disappointed to see the back pack missing and it going underneath, but still it gave a good contention.
Liked the vehicle and started the research on it, heard mixed reaction from many places.
However the Tata attitude forced me to keep off again, also I have not seen many Stormes on the B'lore roads.
In fact I could spot only two Stormes, till date, since launch, on the road, so was skeptical choosing it.

Then heard about the recalls and fixes M&M have been making on the XUV.
Also heard about the customer satisfaction award won by XUV, started considering her again.
Also almost at the same time, the Ford Ecosport, Renault Duster, etc made into the market.
Did not really like the looks of both.
Ecosport looked more like an i10 with a spare wheel added to the tail gate.
Duster never made to the list for consideration at all due to the looks.
More over as mentioned earlier, I was looking for a car with atleast 6 seats with some luggage room left.
Both these had 5 seat with minimum boot space left.
Innova was another car suggested by my wife, but I did not like the looks and the underpowered engine.
Wanted to look for the Fortuner but I feel it is heavily over priced considering the offerings.
These are completely my perspective and I do not mean any offense to these car owners/ lovers.

So the final confusion is among the two heavy weights - Tata Storme & M&M XUV5OO.

Thread Starter #6
After all the knock-out rounds, out came the final two contenders - Tata Safari Storme & Mahindra XUV 5OO.
Which beast to choose..?
Definitely a tough one.

Had test drive of both Storme & XUV and both are not bad, have their own identities and USPs.
But the former is more proficient & performs well in off-roads/ bad roads/no roads in comparison with the latter.
Here are my views on both:-

Tata Safari Storme
Positives:
+ The tall stance and high seating position and own the road feel while on the driver seat is seductive
+ Comfortably irons out all the small and medium potholes easily and big ones are also taken at ease along with the speed breakers
+ Enhanced Low end torque which reduced the turbo lag in comparison with Dicor
+ Comfortable front & middle row seats
+ Colors & finish for the Storme are really catchy
+ Above all long cherished love for the beast

Negatives:
- Cant really have 6 adults on board as the jump seats in the last row is not safely useable even for kids
- Side facing last row is a let down
- Body Roll still exists - much better in comparison with Dicor
- Cornerings at good speed is scary, I did it and thats why I know - may be am overreacting as I come from a sedan background
- Braking was not comfortable as when I did a not so hard Braking, all the people in the Storme were thrown to the front
This is just not acceptable as its scary and not comfortable at all again may be used to the sedan drives
- Lack of features - not even a 2DIN music system & Auto A/C - Tata you are a decade behind on this, the least to say
- Interiors already have the out-dated looks
- The steering was touching my legs and was not comfortable specially while ingress and egress - yes i tried adjusting the seats & steering still the same
- Fit and finish is still horrible again better than Dicor
- The TD vehicle was squeaking all around
- Feel of maneuvering a heavy truck is very evident and hence daily city drive seems difficult
- Very Low resale value & demand
- Well known issue with Tata - premature ageing
- TASS incompetence & complaints regarding the same from other Tata car owners
- Price of 16.2L B'lore on road for VX is not justifiable - low end variants do not have air bags
- Full beige interior is a let down again, beige color including the steering & dashboard is horrible to maintain

Though not a negative of Storme as a vehicle, need to consider the below points as well:-
- Tata showroom & sales person seems completely uninterested in sales
- When stepped into the showroom, there were none to attend us, after waiting for 30 mins someone came to attend us
- The sales person was kind of unaware of the features of the car
I knew more details than the sales guy (thanks to tons of data available in these kind of forums) who was appointed to explain me the car and he was giving incorrect details as well
- Nobody really knew about the Explorer Edition even after it was launched officially and was all over the internet
- Went to two leading showrooms in B'lore and both did not followup afterwards
If pre-sales is so lousy, not to mention after sales service diligence
- None from the friends & family circle were appreciating my thought of going Tata way

Mahindra XUV 5OO
Positives:
+ Loaded with tons of features
+ Better handling & high speed cornering
+ No noticeable turbo lag
+ Braking is smooth & confident, no wavy stops
+ Futuristic Interiors are catchy and comfortable
+ Seats are really good in the front and middle row
+ Front facing last row with seat belt is much better, in comparison with Storme
+ No feeling of maneuvering a huge vehicle so easy in city drives - car like drive
+ Proved engine and the car also have proved its metal in the past ~2 years
+ Trend setting model from M&M for the right price (well not that cheap though)
+ Price reduced by 33K recently, thanks to govt's stupid rules

Negatives:
- Stiffer suspension in comparison with Storme
- Small potholes are not really a problem but medium & big ones can really make their mark while we drive
- Had a strange feeling with the clutch in the TD vehicle it was like hydraulic, even after I release the clutch, it takes a while to come back, slowly not sure if its a problem with that specific piece
- Common set of niggles that were there for XUV - seems addressed already but the worry/ fear is still on
- Heard about the reduced GC to 160mm from 200mm - I know its only about the engine stone guard being pulled down further to reduce the excise duty by 3%, still worried about the same issue that I face now with Honda City

Logically, the decision was easy, but emotionally, it was way too tough to write off on Storme.
Had to take a call on this finally and its in favor of XUV - Brain won over Heart, yet again.
Well cant say so completely as the Heart was already beating 30% for XUV, 60% for Storme & 10% the grey area.

As on date the decision has been taken, Its the Mahindra XUV 5OO that am going with.
Now comes the further steps on choosing the Color of the car, Dealer, Insurance Package, Car Loan, etc, for which I expect help from expert TAIians.

Disclaimer : All the comments in +ve & -ve are completely my perspective and no offences meant by any means, if any statements hurt anyone, please forgive me.

Here is one xuv owner from Bangalore The Automotive India – Car and**m&m dealership useful link http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...rs-service-centers-bangalore-experiences.html

For loan following links might help, IMO, you should go for zero depreciation cover. http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...to/13860-insurance-my-mahindra-xuv500-w6.html

Loan, Insurance, RTO

Colour is your personal choice but black requires maintenance and AC use more than other colors.
And see if the link is useful for you.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...4-car-colours-accidents.html?highlight=colour

Last edited:
As on date the decision has been taken, Its the Mahindra XUV 5OO that am going with.
Now comes the further steps on choosing the Color of the car, Dealer, Insurance Package, Car Loan, etc, for which I expect help from expert TAIians.
Colour: The XUV looks great in Opulent Purple and Black. It looks good in white and silver too, but these colours are very common. I hate artic blue, it looks hideous. Grey is not very inspiring either, but its not very bad. Black and white will give you beige interiors whereas the rest will give you black interiors.

Insurance package: Get online quotes from various companies and use this to negotiate hard with the dealer. If the dealer does not budge, take the insurance from outside.

Car loan: Same as above.

Thread Starter #9
Thanks Torando & Raj_5004.

I have read many threads here in the TAI for details already.
Colors
The colors that we have shortlisted are Silver, Purple & Grey - in the order of preference.
As you said Raj_5004, Silver is very common and gets boring pretty soon seeing lot of them on the road.
However Purple is a rare color atleast in the matter of XUVs on the road I have seen, but I might suffer in case of resale as there would be many more takers for White & Silver, but very less for Purple for sure.
Grey is good but what ever XUVs I have seen in B'lore roads in that color seem to have a very dull finish, no shine, looks very old & shabby.

Insurance
Regarding the Insurance, I am planning to take bumper to bumper, zero depreciation plans, but I see multiple plans in that itself.
Am slightly inclined towards Tata AIG, as I already am their customer and have had good experience only with them till date.
Am confused to choose among the different packages like pearl, platinum, titanium, etc that they have on offer.
There is some bug with the Tata AIG site and it is not letting me choose XUV 5OO W8 as the car model, it throws error so cant drill down and see the different features.
Tried in Insurance Pandit & Policy Bazaar.

Loan
I am planning to take loan from SBH (10.2%) or SBI (10.45%), daily reducing & no pre-closure charges.
Haven't yet heard anything better on offer from others.

Dealer
Finally coming to choose the dealer.
Am put up in Bellandur, Sarjapura ORR, Shirish Auto is the closest showroom and their service center is just 2,3 KMs from my home.
Due to the same reason I preferred them and walked into the showroom, even after multiple followup calls from my side they behave indifferent.
They really seem uninterested, they never keep their promise to bring the car to my place for a TD, no followup calls whatsoever.
Now am in discussion with Anant Automobiles, they are very prompt and constantly keeps in touch and do followups.
But the showroom and service center are quite far from my home, am in a dilemma in this matter.

Accessories
What are the accessories that I need to press for to get free in offer.
Anant Cars today told me that they have an offer on the insurance something like 20K discount on the insurance amount + they offered perfume, idol & floor mats.
But the insurance amount quoted by showroom is around 54K, but online quotes are somewhere around 33K to 38K, which already gains me a good discount and have asked them to give free accessories for the discounted 20K amount, need to see what they will come up with.
Among accessories, am planning to get the footstep, reverse camera, chrome allure (not the full kit), side cladding, scuff plates & Rain Visors - from the showroom itself.
Planning to get the 3D mats from outside.

Among accessories, am planning to get the footstep, reverse camera, chrome allure (not the full kit), side cladding, scuff plates & Rain Visors - from the showroom itself.
Planning to get the 3D mats from outside.
I would avoid the chrome fitments as they tend to come off after a while leaving the glue marks behind. Moreover, chrome is a thing of the past, nowadays it is considered bling bling!

Again, the side cladding looks ugly in my personal opinion.

I have fitted reverse camera and rain visors in my XUV along with 3D mats.

Between Safari Storm and XUV 500, definitely XUV man. Though I was a bit dissapointed on reading that you didnt like ford ecosport.

But nice upgrade from city to XUV[clap]

Congratulations on making your decision for xuv500.As raj said the best sellers are white silver and black,yes purple looks damn good but not sure how long this shade would make you feel good.
If you can maintain darker shades think for black or else go for white, better then silver in my opinion.

Thread Starter #13
Thanks Vijay, Nishant220 & Raj_5004 for your inputs.

Any thought on the dealerships in Bangalore?
I may have to choose between Shireesh Auto & Anant Cars as these are the closest ones to my home.
Am not a big fan of changing the service station frequently unless am terribly dissatisfied with the service, so I would like to stick to the place from where I purchase the car for regular service as well.

I have read the thread which says SKS is good but they no more exist in the market and Anant is not the same as SKS as many in this forum has said, Anant themselves said so.
So if people can comment on the dealers based on their experiences, it would be great.

Today I challenged Shireesh with the offer provided by the Anant Cars, but they inturn surprised me with a better offer on accessories, would reveal them later, but I think this is the best offer I have seen in TAI. [;)]
Moreover when I took it back to Anant for a final round of bargain, they said they by no means can beat the offer Shireesh provided.

Will keep you guys posted on the developments.

Thanks,
Arvind S.

Thread Starter #14
I would avoid the chrome fitments as they tend to come off after a while leaving the glue marks behind. Moreover, chrome is a thing of the past, nowadays it is considered bling bling!

Again, the side cladding looks ugly in my personal opinion.

I have fitted reverse camera and rain visors in my XUV along with 3D mats.
Raj_5004 - Are you sure the chrome fitments are of substandard quality and will loose its shine and peels off soon?
Are there anybody here who are facing that kind of problem so far?

Side cladding is considered more a protective measure than the aesthetics.
There are some careless people who park their cars close to ours and without any care just push out the doors thereby scratching/ denting our doors or car body, which really irritates me, this cladding can be of help in those contexts.

3D mats are one among my wish list too.
Could you tell me how much you paid for that?
I think you got a beige mat, are there other colors available?
May be in dark shades as the silver XUV comes with a black/ wallnut finish, the beige mat might look odd in it.

Between Safari Storm and XUV 500, definitely XUV man. Though I was a bit dissapointed on reading that you didnt like ford ecosport.

But nice upgrade from city to XUV[clap]
Nishant220 - Ecosport initially did catch my attention, but when I closely observed it and had look at it on the road, the interest started to ooze off.
It seem to be a small vehicle (in comparison with Storme & XUV) and its essentially a 4, max 5 seater.
My requirement was to have a 6 + luggage car (SUV), where XUV gladly fits in.
Also with the reduced features in the top trim and the increase in price, I dont see it worth the buck, no offenses meant.

Top Bottom