New Hatch For Less Than Rs.4.5 Lacs (Finalized Maruti Alto 800)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Shopping Time !!!

We need a new hatch for my parents (which would replace the 8 year old Indica Xeta - done only 20K kms [frustration]). Both my parents are senior citizens and the car would mainly be driven by a hired chauffeur. The car will be bought a used in Kolkata. The usage will be maximum 400 Kms a month. Hence petrol should be option.

Budget is maximum of 4.5 lacs (OTR after all discounts). We plan to keep the car minimum for 5 years.

Should I consider diesel/LPG also? There in no CNG available at Kolkata.

I have shortlisted following options -

Maruti - Alto 800, Wagon R, Estilo
Hyundai, Eon, Santro and i10 and i10 Grand
Chevy - Beat

Please suggest any other options rank above ones with respect to -

FE
Ease of Drive-ability
Maintenance and ASS (at Kolkata)

Re: New Hatch For Less Than Rs.4.5 Lacs

400kms/month means you should stick with petrol
i would also suggest you add Honda Brio in your list

hey anusham Maruti Wagonr which would tick all your above requirements.

Thread Starter #5

Thanks for all your inputs.

I will include Brio in my list too.

As I mentioned they will be chauffeured around most of times, back seat comfort factor is also important.

How about FE of the models in discussion?

My recommendation would be Wagon R. The upright design and tall stands will be really helpful for elderly to get in and out with ease. Also since it is intended to be used within the city for less than 500kms / month petrol makes a lot of sense.

You might also want to check Ritz which has very good ride quality when compared to Wagon R, i10s & Santros. If you would a compact car, please check out Spark too which is one of the best city cars - and you would get good deals too.

Thread Starter #7

Thanks TAIDhana. Any idea about FE of Wagon R 1.0 (K-10)?

I had old gen Wagon R myself (1.1L) used to give around 14 in city.

Since your parents are old and will be chauffeured, I think back seat comfort and ride quality should also be high on the essential priority list. Having said so, Hyundai cars are a complete no - no, as santro and i10 have a bouncy back because of stiff suspension. i10 grand i have not driven and hence no idea, Please do a TD and decide on it. It may still go out of 4.5 lakh budget by a few grands

Since old people do feel claustrophobic (telling from personal experience), i would suggest you out of 800, eon, beat, alto, spark.

Also estilo had news of meeting end of life because of dismay performance in sales numbers. In that case when you plan to keep the car for 5 years, it will become expensive on spare parts once discontinued.

Also as suggested above by few people for BRIO, I am against it for your end use scenario. Brio is too low and elders will feel trouble in ingress.

I would suggest WAGON R. Spacious, tall boy (easy ingress), cheap to mantain, good FE, and soft suspension. Only negative - not as solid.

If safety also needs a tick, why dont you try RITZ and MICRA also. Not sure if NISSAN has a good rapport in kolkata. Another option is FIGO, but personally i am not a big fan of figo's petrol engine and fe. But it checks on spacious and good resale value.

My priority list would be
1. MICRA (above wagon R just because it adds a bit more status and solid build)
2. WAGON R (ticks all boxes)
3. RITZ
4. FIGO

Thanks for all your inputs.

I will include Brio in my list too.

As I mentioned they will be chauffeured around most of times, back seat comfort factor is also important.

How about FE of the models in discussion?
As we own a Brio, i will be commenting only on it.

Back seat is very comfortable with ample space. Legroom is very good. Head room will not be a problem at rear if you are under 6 feet. I am 6'2" and it is very good in the front driver seat. (i drive it most of the time, naaaaa, always [:)])

FE in the city is 15-16 tankfull method and it touches 21 on the highways. Max FE I ever witnessed was 22.6 kmpl on the bangalore chennai expressway.

As the car will be going to drive by your parents, It has to be tall and Handy.

In this case the below two options will satisfy the requirement.

Wagon R & Brio

Go and take TD and find which will suit for your parents and go for it.

If You could extend a little more amount, Nissan Micra Active XV Safety Pack car could be great deal. The on road price of this car in Kolkata would be in and around of 5,30,000/-. If you could take the insurance from outside and bargain a little with dealer, that would be come down a little more too. It's quite a bigger car and has loads of features including ABS+EBD & 2 Air bags too. And gives a good mileage too. For more info, you may take a look at below.

Micra Active

All the Best. [:)]

I guess Wagon R Vxi would meet all your expectation including budget post present lucrative discounts. Back seat comfort and leg room is not a priority for majority of Hatchback. I have never tried Brio so won't comment on it. On Wagon R it gets my full points. As I got a new one recently and drove my parents around in it, I can say I am happy with it. My mom is one who hardly appreciates Hatchback but she found it comfortable with ample leg room. Micra again is one of the better option in terms of your requirements.

I would suggest finalize few options basis your sanity check and then make your parents check on their checklist and finalize the one that get's max points from them.

Thread Starter #13

So contenders are WagonR, Brio and Micra Active. Will test drive all over the weekend/coming week.

I am considering base model of all(Only Wagon R will be LXI).

Cheers,
Anshuman

So contenders are WagonR, Brio and Micra Active. Will test drive all over the weekend/coming week.

I am considering base model of all(Only Wagon R will be LXI).

Cheers,
Anshuman
Please don't consider the base variants of any car, especially most of them won't be having power windows which are extremely inconvenience especially to the elders. Please spend a little more for the sheer bliss of your parents. [:)]

Thread Starter #15

Please don't consider the base variants of any car, especially most of them won't be having power windows which are extremely inconvenience especially to the elders. Please spend a little more for the sheer bliss of your parents. [:)]
Good point. But Wagon R LXI has only front power windows.

Will try to check Base+1 versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom