Spolit For Choices in Approx. Rs.10 Lakh Budget

Thread Starter #1
Hi
I am thoroughly confused about which car to buy, my budget is around 9.5L and the car will basically be a family car.
80% of the time it will have only 2 persons and rest of the times 4(we're all around 5'10")
It will mostly be used for doing short distances within the city(600Km/month) with maybe 1 long distance trip(Mumbai-Pune-Mumbai) every month or more like 2 trips every 3 months.
I will atleast hold on to this car for the next 5 years.

I'm open to MT/AT/Petrol/Diesel, for me what matters most is the overall value for money. I dont want to shell out huge sums for service/spares/repairs(I own a swift and a honda city which have served me very well so far and this car will be a replacement for the honda city). I'd like a car that is hassle free, fun to drive, comes with basic features(good music system with bluetooth, alloy wheels, ABS, airbags would be nice, good suspension(dont want to be doing suspension work) and ofcourse fun to drive. I'm no speed junky but at the same time, I wouldnt want a sluggish car.
I started off with Vento, Rapid, Fiesta, Linea, Ecosport, Sunny.
Vento - I feel the rapid is better in terms of VFM.
Rapid - I quite like it.
Fiesta- The back felt a bit cramped, though we would normally never have 5 persons, just a thought. Also preferred the Vento and the Rapid to it.
Linea - I like the car, but everyone has advised me against it. Poor after sales, spares and resale value.
Ecosport- 3-4 months waiting :(
Sunny - Resale value is a concern and no one I personally know has the sunny so I'm not very sure.

Experts, over to you!!!

Re: Spolit for choices, ~10L

Hi skeletor,
As you are coming from Maruti and Honda, you will find it tough to deal with Volkswagen, Skoda, Ford and the likes. If your need is not imminent wait for Honda City 2014. If not Rapid and Vento are the next best if you love driving,though the hard clutch can be an issue in Mumbai traffic.Verna is feature rich but the back seat is pretty low and not very comfortable. Sunny is good beater car and barring the poor brakes and quirky looks is a very good practical car.Fiat is serious about India ,in Mumbai the ASS seems better than rest of India,the ride and handling is second to none.But I found the clutch travel on the higher side in Linea.
Regards,
Aneesh.

Thread Starter #3
I could wait but since loan rates are high, car sales are down, festive season is around the corner - discounts should be available. And I will not be taking any loans, so I thought i might as well make most of this opportunity.
As far as the new city is considered, I'd rather go for something new. I've used the City for 5 years now.

Also given the usage and government plan to slowly de-regulate diesel prices, I think I'll stick to petrol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not try Linea T-Jet then. I will complete my 2 years with Punto, no major problems as of now. And Skoda and VW are at par with A$$ to FIAT. and who knows after 5 years what will be the resale value of particular car, bearing in mind the current volatile state of Indian auto industry.

If I were you, then my list would be.

Linea TJet
Rapid
Vento
Sunny

Linea is not at a top because I own a FIAT or I am a FIAT fan boy. But it is really good car. And in Mumbai there is no issue with A$$. Where do you stay in Mumbai?

@Skeletor

My suggestions are just based on your inputs

Vento - I feel the rapid is better in terms of VFM.
No driving pleasure at all and maintenance will be costly.
Rapid - I quite like it.
Everything is same like Vento in all other aspects except there is some life in driving this car, so better than Vento
Fiesta- The back felt a bit cramped, though we would normally never have 5 persons, just a thought. Also preferred the Vento and the Rapid to it.
we have one new fiesta and yes the rear space looks cramped and also can't breath properly when AC is switched on in low speeds, but overall good for FE and maintenance is not that costly when you compare with VW and Skoda.
Linea - I like the car, but everyone has advised me against it. Poor after sales, spares and resale value.
The new model seems to be good and due to the exclusive Fiat outlets across India the A.S.S is promising.
Ecosport- 3-4 months waiting :(
yes waiting period is more, but the rear is not good for 3 people and ride is not very comfortable(when seated in rear). But driving this gives you excellent pleasure with some nice GC
Sunny - Resale value is a concern and no one I personally know has the sunny so I'm not very sure.
We bought one AT recently, excellent space and good driving pleasure. As one of of member said you really do not know what happens after 5 years when you look at the present Auto world speed of launching cars, so just enjoy driving it for 5 years and prepare for the re sale whatever it can fetch you.

In addition to the about I suggest you to try out Manza Club class[:)]

Since you are looking for VFM you can try Verna Huyndai has better after sales service. Also Honda City. TD both cars you will love them to keep both.

Since you are looking for VFM you can try Verna Huyndai has better after sales service. Also Honda City. TD both cars you will love them to keep both.
Hahahaha Kinky, Just read before you post, he is already having a Honda City and would like to sell it and buy a different one. About Verna Hyundai as VFM, is big joke, it eats away your pocket with maintenance[:)]

For me Comfort, Space, VFM and low maintainence cost car could be

Linea
Manza
Sunny

I have not driven the new linea but have TD both Manza and Sunny. I have liked both. Infact you could get a Manza Club class in your budget. It looks like a premium car (See it to believe it.)

Hahahaha Kinky, Just read before you post, he is already having a Honda City and would like to sell it and buy a different one. About Verna Hyundai as VFM, is big joke, it eats away your pocket with maintenance[:)]
Yes why not buy a latest city again?[:)] Only cars VFM then would be Maruti. Maruti does not have a better sedan in that budget other than Dezire. Hyundai verna burns small hole than a vento or rapid would do.

I'm also "spoilt" for choice. I recently sold a Polo Tdi and after scouting the market for hatches decided to go one-up and book Urban SUV and made a Ford Ecosport tdci Titanium+booking on 26th June,2013. The strongest contender at that time was the upcoming Polo GT TDI. Now that it is launched and both a SUV or Hatch will do just fine for my requirements i'm wondering should i switch-over and get a hatch.

The main reason for the confusion is the engine. I've taken 4TD's of the Ecosport and i've felt it could have done with more power, the GT TDI however has more than enough power and will be a rocket hatch to own. The 1.5tdci was slow and lethargic though refined but the 1.6tdi was superb. The turbo kicked in much early and the gradual opening of the turbo meant the power delivery was linear and the car made quick progress.

They say a car is only as good as its engine, so i'm left confused. I love everything about the Ecosport except the engine and the main reason for considering the Polo is the engine itself.

I've narrowed down the search to these 2 cars after much thought, therefore I request you to suggest one among the 2 and no other options.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

What maintenance are you talking about. I'd like to know :p

Just to clear your confusion, normal service charge for verna crdi is 4500rupees\year\10000kms.

Whereas polo's 15k service is around 8k. Have seen bills on tai only.

I'm also "spoilt" for choice. I recently sold a Polo Tdi and after scouting the market for hatches decided to go one-up and book Urban SUV and made a Ford Ecosport tdci Titanium+booking on 26th June,2013. The strongest contender at that time was the upcoming Polo GT TDI. Now that it is launched and both a SUV or Hatch will do just fine for my requirements i'm wondering should i switch-over and get a hatch.

The main reason for the confusion is the engine. I've taken 4TD's of the Ecosport and i've felt it could have done with more power, the GT TDI however has more than enough power and will be a rocket hatch to own. The 1.5tdci was slow and lethargic though refined but the 1.6tdi was superb. The turbo kicked in much early and the gradual opening of the turbo meant the power delivery was linear and the car made quick progress.

They say a car is only as good as its engine, so i'm left confused. I love everything about the Ecosport except the engine and the main reason for considering the Polo is the engine itself.

I've narrowed down the search to these 2 cars after much thought, therefore I request you to suggest one among the 2 and no other options.
What's the use of that extra space in ecosport if you are only 2 people driving most of the time. [:)]

I'll say go for the polo. One should enjoy driving the car and by your post you seem happy driving the polo.

Buy do keep in mind the luggage space in polo, if long trips involve loads of luggage then it can be a problem for you.

So.what's the otr of both the cars?

What's the use of that extra space in ecosport if you are only 2 people driving most of the time. [:)]

I'll say go for the polo. One should enjoy driving the car and by your post you seem happy driving the polo.

Buy do keep in mind the luggage space in polo, if long trips involve loads of luggage then it can be a problem for you.

So.what's the otr of both the cars?
The car will have only me most of the time, but will double up as a family car for those short trips where our sedan can't go. So space is needed atleast for those few occasions.

You are right, I loved driving the 1.6tdi more than the 1.5tdci but the only thing is my parents are against going for another Polo since we've already owned and sold one very recently.

OTR bangalore

Polo GT TDI:9.91 lakhs
Ecosport Tit + tdci-11.7 lakhs

What maintenance are you talking about. I'd like to know :p

Just to clear your confusion, normal service charge for verna crdi is 4500rupees\year\10000kms.

Whereas polo's 15k service is around 8k. Have seen bills on tai only.
AHC, No offence on your experience of Hyundai Verna might be very good, but unfortunately we have few Hyundai Verna old and the new fluidic both owned my two close friends and are not happy that cars will have some or other issue every time and keep visiting service center(who is my neighbor) and I have seen their cars waiting for few parts and they are costly too. I am not talking about the normal service charges of verna crdi at all, I am talking about the kind of troubles faced when parts are costly and non availability for longer time.[:)]

Thread Starter #15
Thank you for your responses, any idea about the FE of the linea t-jet?
From what I've heard its not great.
BTW, I've ticked off the Vento(might as well go for the rapid), fiesta(did not do it for me) and Ecosport(waiting period).

Top Bottom