Petrol or Diesel? Ford Figo or Honda Amaze? Confused. Help!

Honda amaze (petrol) or Forg Figo (diesel)

• Honda amaze (petrol)

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Ford Figo(diesel)

Votes: 11 68.8%

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Dear TAI's

This is my first thread on TAI (So please be considerate with me)
Looking at the thread subject line. you must be sure that I am a confused soul.
First let me give you brief about my requirement.
We have a family of 3 people( Me, my wife and 1.5 years old daughter). We started our search for our car in June, We had a budget of 5 lakhs in our mind.
We visited all the car showrooms and realized that we did not like cars in 5lakh segment (Swift (petrol)/Wagon R (CNG) and so on)

Now my requirement
1. Should be spacious (Should not be cramped rear sits)
2. Very good fuel economy (My monthly running is 1000km on higher side)
3. Should not be more than 6-6.5 lakh

So we found two cars fitting our requirement
1. Honda amaze (Petrol)
2. Ford Figo (diesel)
Now let me explain you basis for selecting these two cars

1. Honda Amaze (Petrol)
We thought we will buy EMT (Petrol) model of Honda amaze.
-It is a new car
- It's quite spacious
- I can upgrade to sedan class
- It fits the price range of 6 lakhs (I can fit ICE which will cost me another 20k)
- Monthly running of 1000 km translates to spend of around 7k (With Fuel economy of 12km/ltr and petrol price of INR 82/ltr)
Now that's a way too much for me, so we thought we will convert it to CNG and monthly fuel bill will be less than 5K or may be much less than that[;)]
Please see the attached excel for details

2. Ford Figo
- It has got loads of space
-In 6.5 lakhs I will get a diesel car (ZXIversion)
- Monthly fuel spending would be around 4-4.25K (With fuel economy of 14km/ltr and diesel price of 60)

After lot of thinking we booked Honda amaze on 11th June (that time CNG price was INR34-36/kg in Mumbai)

However currently the CNG price rose to 40/kg and by 1st April 2014 CNG price is expected to be INR 20 more i.e. 60/kg in Mumbai. This is very much comparable to diesel
I am planning to take delivery of Amaze on this Dussera which is 13th October

Now in such a scenario, I am really confused on what to do?
If I go with Amaze then running on petrol will be too expensive and even if I convert it to CNG later on it will be equivalent to diesel
(Currently one can not fit CNG in amaze as RTO approval is still pending, hence I need to run the car on petrol for some time may be for a year)
Again waiting for CNG filling will be additional pain
I will lose the boot space
Does anybody has any idea if I fit CNG in amaze how much boot space will be left?

Second option if I go with Figo
I will be back to sedan class
It will be diesel, so diesel clutter will be there

Most of you might think that the choice is pretty simple Ford Figo
But would like to have your views before making any decision
Please help me with your detailed view

Attachments

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: Petrol/diesel? Ford figo/Honda Amaze? Confused..Please help

first about the bootspace.

figo - 284 liters.
amaze - 400 liters.

ok so let's take city's example.

honda city w\o cng - 500 liters
honda city with cng - 280 liters [surprise]

so you will get lesser boot space in amaze if you fit a large cylinder or say roughly the same amount in both the cars.

i'll say go for figo.

cng vs diesel - both the fuel prices will rise but still i think diesel will be a good option. as you said waiting in cng line is irritating. and you have to buy sequential cng kit which will cost you 40k-60k.

and you may also check grand i10
Compare Ford Figo Duratorq Diesel ZXI 1.4 vs Hyundai Grand i10 Magna 1.1 CRDi - CarWale

Last edited:
@mbendre. I can understand your confusion. As you said only 3 would occupy the car I would suggest Figo diesel between two. But if your monthly commute is less than 1000kms beter going for petrol car like amaze, swift dezire Also can you have a look at Nissan Micra and Grand I10. That might also suit your requirements.

Buddy let me try to help you in my own way [;)]

Well the first and foremost thing that you have to finalize is whether you need a sedan or hatch? Today's Indian market is loaded with hatchbacks and from your thread i understand that you have considered only 4 cars - Swift, WagonR, Figo diesel & amaze which is a sedan.

Now for a monthly run of 1000kms you should go with petrol for sure and there are petrol hatchbacks which give you decent mileage. Surprisingly i dint find Brio mentioned in your prospect list, any specific reason for that? IMHO, you should try Brio, Ritz which gives you good FE and low maintenance.

I had a quick glance into your calculation sheet where you haven't considered the CNG upgrading cost for your Amaze! I believe it will cost you at least 50K extra and as you rightly indicated prices will definitely go up in the long run.

If you are so particular about diesel then Figo is a VFM car but also suggest you to do a TD of Grand i10 which has impressive features and FE and it will not not cost you much. And what about Vista Quadrajet75, yes it's another practical car from Tata which comes with improved levels of refinement.

FORD Figo is the right option friend.

There are few factors that made me suggest you FIGO.

1. You dont know when you can fit CNG to your Amaze as RTO approval pending.
  2. By the time you fit CNG, prices of CNG is not known.
  3. With FIGO you start saving from day one with diesel.
  4. Plus CNG is only available in few cities in India, SO long journeys will surely hurt you financially, as you need to be on petrol always.
  5. Sequential CNG kit will make your pocket lighter by approximately 40k-50k.
  6. As rightly said by Allhyundaicars, the boot available after fitting CNG would be less as compared to other hatches.

Rest I hope you know the GC of FIGO is bit less, so need to be careful while going over uneven roads. Else if you have budget, go for Amaze Diesel. [clap]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
Buddy let me try to help you in my own way [;)]

Well the first and foremost thing that you have to finalize is whether you need a sedan or hatch? Today's Indian market is loaded with hatchbacks and from your thread i understand that you have considered only 4 cars - Swift, WagonR, Figo diesel & amaze which is a sedan.

Now for a monthly run of 1000kms you should go with petrol for sure and there are petrol hatchbacks which give you decent mileage. Surprisingly i dint find Brio mentioned in your prospect list, any specific reason for that? IMHO, you should try Brio, Ritz which gives you good FE and low maintenance.

I had a quick glance into your calculation sheet where you haven't considered the CNG upgrading cost for your Amaze! I believe it will cost you at least 50K extra and as you rightly indicated prices will definitely go up in the long run.

If you are so particular about diesel then Figo is a VFM car but also suggest you to do a TD of Grand i10 which has impressive features and FE and it will not not cost you much. And what about Vista Quadrajet75, yes it's another practical car from Tata which comes with improved levels of refinement.

First of all thanks for your reply Godfather
I had look at all the cars in the market, did not miss a single one. I am a new driver so selected these cars based on look and feel and online reviews on various forums
I was on a lookout for a hatch but then came across Honda amaze which fits my budget hence considered it. I though this will fulfill my dream of owning a sedan so considered it
Also I liked the overall car
Only concern for buying Figo that I have now is:
I have seen many old Figo's and they sound like a army tank (diesel engine noise)
which also worries me about the maintenance after 3 years (I plan to keep the car at least for 5 years, may be 8-10 years)
Everybody around me is selling me Maruti but I feel Maruti cars a bit cramped
Now when I compare Figo with amaze
Figo: I can be worry free man as it will be diesel with boot so long or short drives or fuel filing won't be a problem
Monthly fuel bill will be in my limit
Amaze:
If I buy amaze, I enjoy a petrol car for a year and then convert it to CNG by spending 50k on CNG kit
Now it will cost me similar to diesel (As diesel prices and CNG prices will be neck to neck in some time)
So by spending 50k I get a car which is comparable to diesel and I get to own a HONDA sedan
On contrary, if I buy diesel sedan it will cost me around 1 to1.5 lakhs extra
On flipside
I will loose boot space
My mind is still wandering [roll]
I will definitely have look at Hyundai i10 (I am worried about the maintenance cost of Hyundai though)
PS: I have considered the CNG kit cost in my calculations

FORD Figo is the right option friend.

There are few factors that made me suggest you FIGO.

1. You dont know when you can fit CNG to your Amaze as RTO approval pending.
  2. By the time you fit CNG, prices of CNG is not known.
  3. With FIGO you start saving from day one with diesel.
  4. Plus CNG is only available in few cities in India, SO long journeys will surely hurt you financially, as you need to be on petrol always.
  5. Sequential CNG kit will make your pocket lighter by approximately 40k-50k.
  6. As rightly said by Allhyundaicars, the boot available after fitting CNG would be less as compared to other hatches.

Rest I hope you know the GC of FIGO is bit less, so need to be careful while going over uneven roads. Else if you have budget, go for Amaze Diesel. [clap]

Thanks for replying
Amaze diesel cost more than or around 8 lakhs
So will be too much for me

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a different opinion. Amaze though a great car and spacious, as you said, adding a CNG unit may cancel your warranty by Honda, and in case of any maintenance may cost you more. Also when you say you will be driving 1000kms per month and plan to keep the car for long run, diesel does make sense over petrol. But then petrol engines are much more refined, make less/no noise and is cheaper to maintain. I personally am a petrol head even if I have to drive 50K kms a year.

But coming back to your choice, over the top of my head I can think of possible alternatives (cheap to maintain, spacious, and within 6.5 lakhs)
- grand i 10 magna / sportz diesel - is spacious, hyundai is trustable brand, and yearly mantainence may cost you 5K. Though a bit more than maruti, i think it is cheaper and peace of mind. Also the new kid in block
- toyota etios liva diesel - toyota brand. No nonsense durable brand. Though interiors looks cheap, but highly spacious and less to mantain. But again not a sedan
- indica vista diesel - cheap to mantain and good mileage. sturdy. but be prepared for small niggles here and there
- used (1-3 yrs old), tata manza - a class apart and an awesome sedan. My pick of the lot given your requirements.

chevrolet beat is good but is cramped just like the marutis (read ritz/swift). And since you are looking for a class above near B2 and C segment, not considering wagon R kinds.

Ford Figo my dear friend.My Dad has one for past three years,touch wood.But expect some rattles if not cared properly.It is solidly built,Amaze feels tinny.The way our economy is going soon petrol will touch 90 and diesel 70,so diesel will be a safe bet.
Regards,
Aneesh.

I think icecool has summed up beautifully, what more do you need mbendre? [:)]

Ford Figo my dear friend.My Dad has one for past three years,touch wood.But expect some rattles if not cared properly.It is solidly built,Amaze feels tinny.The way our economy is going soon petrol will touch 90 and diesel 70,so diesel will be a safe bet.
Regards,
Aneesh.
Buddy, i agree to the fact that Figo is a winner on any day due to its features, build quality etc but you should not advocate a diesel car based on the price difference between petrol & diesel but it should be based on the monthly km run. The price difference between these two fuels is ~23Rs in Kerala.

My personal opinion is that if one starts to clock more than 1200kms/month you should seriously start thinking about a diesel. [glasses]

Last edited by a moderator:
Figo is great car especially it should be wonderful for the firstime owners since it has great visibility. Moreover, its very easy to maintain, drive etc. So, I would recommend a figo instead of Amaze Petrol.

Just one more thing. Just invest Rs.50,000 more and get the titanium diesel version. For this you will get ABS+EBD, 2 airbags, Alloy Wheels etc. Now many offers are going on. So, please don't go for ZXI and get the Titanium instead. Believe me , you would never regret it. [:)]

Buddy, i agree to the fact that Figo is a winner on any day due to its features, build quality etc but you should not advocate a diesel car based on the price difference between petrol & diesel but it should be based on the monthly km run. The price difference between these two fuels is ~23Rs in Kerala.

My personal opinion is that if one starts to clock more than 1200kms/month you should seriously start thinking about a diesel. [glasses]
Hi godfather,
I was telling from my personal experience buddy,I'm having a Zen for last 13 years and I should know a thing about owning a petrol car.My Dad got a Figo in 2010 and even with his low running the relief on wallet is big.Try selling a petrol car and you will not touch a petrol again.I love petrol engines and that's why I booked a petrol one again last month,but that doesn't mean we should advise all to get petrol cars.
Regards,
Aneesh.

Hi godfather,
I was telling from my personal experience buddy,I'm having a Zen for last 13 years and I should know a thing about owning a petrol car.My Dad got a Figo in 2010 and even with his low running the relief on wallet is big.Try selling a petrol car and you will not touch a petrol again.I love petrol engines and that's why I booked a petrol one again last month,but that doesn't mean we should advise all to get petrol cars.
Regards,
Aneesh.
With all due respect to your figo, did you buy the car by paying full cash or are you paying monthly EMI's? Well if you have your EMI then you would have realized by now how much more you are paying for your diesel car in EMI rather than a petrol. Also due to the low running have you thought about the break even run? It will take years before which you might even sell off your car. In short people fall into dilemma that they can save money by getting a diesel car but its the other way around unless you clock more miles in a short period. [:)]

Don't know what's your logic,but the resale value of the corresponding model Figo petrol as ours is around 1.6 lakh less.In another two years its gonna rock bottom.If your mileage is less every year it may take a few years more to break even.My Dad had his 800 for Eleven years before selling it off.I have a 13 year old car,and if someone sells cars every 3 or 4 years,well I don't think such a person needs any advise or is bothered about resale value.Petrol cars depreciate faster than diesel,at least that's how its in Cochin,don't know if Petrols get more resale value elsewhere.

Don't know what's your logic,but the resale value of the corresponding model Figo petrol as ours is around 1.6 lakh less.In another two years its gonna rock bottom.If your mileage is less every year it may take a few years more to break even.My Dad had his 800 for Eleven years before selling it off.I have a 13 year old car,and if someone sells cars every 3 or 4 years,well I don't think such a person needs any advise or is bothered about resale value.Petrol cars depreciate faster than diesel,at least that's how its in Cochin,don't know if Petrols get more resale value elsewhere.
I am in total agreement to your point on resale where petrol vehicles lose their value quite easily. But i never said that one should sell his/her car after 3-4 years! Apologies if i created some amount of confusion here. [surprise]

I am not against diesel cars as I am seriously thinking about upgrading from my current Ritz petrol to a diesel as my monthly run is touching 1300 for the past few months but again i am weighing my options carefully. In short the whole point is that diesel makes more sense for those who run hard and yes for those who don't have plans to sell in the near future but again the cost of maintaining your petrol is much cheaper than your diesel. [roll]

Top Bottom