Restored Sedans vs New Entry Level Hatchbacks

Thread Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

As we all know, India has a huge market for new hatchbacks customers. Of late I was wondering if it really makes sense to buy a new small hatchback spending over 3lacs instead of buying a old sedan & restoring it.

Some Facts:
1. Sedans depreciate faster than Hatchbacks (You will get good conditioned cars for less price)
2. There is practically no new car available for less than 3.5lacs OTR (let us not count Nano here)
3. Small Hatchbacks have really not improved by huge margins when it comes to the safety factor.
4. What has changed in entry level small hatch over the years is more mileage, thinner glass, weaker sheet metals, fog lamps, stickers, plastic facelifts, removing adjustable headrests etc
5. With AC switched on our underpowered hatchbacks are really lifeless to drive (especially when fully loaded)
6. Most good sedans cost less than 1.5lacs in the used car market! -Accent, Ikon, Esteem, Baleno, Old Honda City, Indigo etc
7. We can do a lot of mods in a car to increase pick up, mileage, sound etc, but for increasing space there is no easy/quick/safe mod. So sedans have an edge over here.

I feel its better to buy a used Ikon 1.6 or Baleno 1.6 or Esteem 1.3 or Accent instead of a brand new Alto 800/ Spark/ Eon.

Even if you spend about the same price of the used car on its one time service, still you save a lot of money, which would otherwise be spent on the new car.

Example:
Total budget: 3,50,00/-
Used Hyundai Accent: 1,00,000/-
One Big service as soon as you buy the car: 1,00,000/- (includes battery, tyres, seat covers, engine work, spark plugs, fuel injectors, 1 or 2 sensors, exhaust mufflers, mild body touchup works, headlamps & tail lamps etc

Total Spent: 2,00,000/-
Cash left in hand: 1,50,000/-
Use this cash left to fuel the car for the next say 18,000kms!
Assuming petrol is 85/- a litre and the car will give minimum mileage of 10kmpl after the service.

Isn't this a better option than investing full 3.5lacs on a new hatchback & then again putting fuel with our hard earned money?

If we justify buying a new small car for just for peace of mind that it wont trouble. Haven't we seen so many threads where new cars (read 2012 & 2013 models - Sail Uva, Swift Lxi, Vxi,LDi,Vdi brakes, Ertiga mileage issues, i10 steering rattle etc) in warranty come with so many defects, is it still worth investing money on a new car?

Note:
No offense meant to any car owner, Alto is not a bad car, but its not a good option when compared to restored/repaired sedans.
Nano: This is not a complete car, I am considering cars that have Power Steering, Ac, atleast 2 power windows as a complete car. (Since Nano has manual steering let us not discuss about that here). No offense meant to any Nano owner/lover/maker/seller.

Re: Restored Sedans vs New entry level hatchbacks :)

I get what you meant here :)

Some people want to have a pleasure of driving a brand new car, thats a personal choice. No comments on that. but you justified yourself pretty nicely there.

Depreciation on the cars is a lot not just for the cars on the indian roads. Typically saying in Australia 2007-2009 BMW 5 series (E60) cost around $100,000 ( nearly 60 lacs INR) but if you now search for used ones 5 year old BMW 5 series will only cost around $25000 with less than 100K kms on clock.

If I were to spend $30,000 for a Hatch Like Nissan TIIDA, Honda Civic I'd rather get a BMW 5 series with full options for $25000 and roughly do a major service for around $3000 I'd be good to go for another 10,000kms .

Its my personal opinion , it doesn't mean to hurt anyone's feeling.

P.S : I've been driving quiet old cars 1996-1999 ( Nissan SKyline R33 and Toyota Chaser JZX100-Imports)

Some Facts:
1. Sedans depreciate faster than Hatchbacks (You will get good conditioned cars for less price)
2. There is practically no new car available for less than 3.5lacs OTR (let us not count Nano here)
3. Small Hatchbacks have really not improved by huge margins when it comes to the safety factor.
4. What has changed in entry level small hatch over the years is more mileage, thinner glass, weaker sheet metals, fog lamps, stickers, plastic facelifts, removing adjustable headrests etc
5. With AC switched on our underpowered hatchbacks are really lifeless to drive (especially when fully loaded)
6. Most good sedans cost less than 1.5lacs in the used car market! -Accent, Ikon, Esteem, Baleno, Old Honda City, Indigo etc
7. We can do a lot of mods in a car to increase pick up, mileage, sound etc, but for increasing space there is no easy/quick/safe mod. So sedans have an edge over here.

I feel its better to buy a used Ikon 1.6 or Baleno 1.6 or Esteem 1.3 or Accent instead of a brand new Alto 800/ Spark/ Eon.

Even if you spend about the same price of the used car on its one time service, still you save a lot of money, which would otherwise be spent on the new car.
1) Yup,I've seen a lot of Mondeos in Great condition sold for 1.5-2.5 lakhs in Chennai.Now thats way too low for a great car like that.

2) That is also true,Even for 3.5 lakhs you will get an Alto 800 and in maximum the fully base Spark PS (Now its the safest 'new' hatchback under 3.5 lakhs)

3) Yup,Maruti there has the most unsafe hatches on the Planet. (No offence to anyone.)

4) So Very True !! and the removal of the Dead Pedal Too [frustration]

5) Yep,Think of Matiz Now. Superb A/C with a Puny 796.1 CC Engine (Though one of the Best 800cc 3 Pot Engines,It Suffered with A/C and Full Load)

6) Yeah.In Chennai Its Kinda hard to Find OHC VTec under 1.5 Lakhs.Esteems (Carb,MPFI Hard to Find),Ikon and Baleno etc are Flooded for 1.5 lakhs in Chennai.Topend Optra (LT) That too Petrol are there for 1.2-2.0 Lakhs.

7) Sure,We can do anything on it except Increasing Boot Space and Increasing Safety too (I Dunno About this!! )

Baleno and Ikon have High Maintainence.OHC VTEC has the Highest Performance and has Tremendous Aftermarket Support.Look out for Daewoo Nexia 1.6 DOHC.Too Rare these Days and Cheaper than Those (40K-80K).Pretty Decent Performance.Add a K&N,FFE and a Cold air Intake etc and she is ready to Roar.In Hatchbacks,Consider the Daewoo Matiz too (Available from 15K).Cute Li'l Car.Spares are available here.I have the Mobile Number of the Supplier too.Restore it and she will teach how to Turn Heads !! Thank you

Top Bottom