Buying a Used Diesel Car - Need Advice

Thread Starter #1
Hi,
I am planning to sell my old Zen 98 model with LPG certified in RC. Somehow I never fell in love with this car. It never gave my any problems though, I had inherited it from my father, after he passed away.
But I had fallen in love with my old Bullet so I knew the feeling, that I was missing something in the Zen.

I would like to buy an used diesel car.
Budget 1 - 1.5L

My relative who knows quite a lot about cars suggested a diesel Lancer but all the ones I saw on the net were about 2L.

Then I thought of Jeep but he said that at that price it would be lying in front of my house like a land-mark only!

Hyundai Accent, he said it is made by Koreans hence poor quality.

Ford Ikon, he said is completely outsourced to vendors so again, poor quality.

Chevrolet, again by Koreans.

Then I saw Tata Indica V2, but he says all Tata vehicles are of poor quality. And I would regret my decision.

Then I after attending a wedding, on my return, I passed a garage. I stopped and enquired about diesel cars and the mechanic showed me a Sierra. Then I felt an attraction for this car. The mechanic said it was about 1.5L, 1998, white, second owner, but there was a problem with the tappet head. My relative again said that Tatas are poor quality rides and have low mileage. [anger]

Then I saw a Safari but it was too expensive.

Please advice which diesel car should I get?
Calling all gurus, especially, Ilango, Umalkars, Mercedised, Hemington and Sam Dinkar.
[confused]

Your relative would be reading this too :evil:

1.5 lalk for a diesel second hand ! What price are you going to sell the zen?

Don't go for too old ones. It may give you lots of problem irrespective of brands

Hi zenandenfield,
For 1.5 lakh you will mostly get a very old diesel car,maybe as old as your Zen.Do you really wanna buy a 10 year old vehicle which will drain a lot of your wallet?Try to stretch your budget and get a vehicle which is around 6 to 7 years old. Ford Ikon is a nice handler,if you find a good one.
Regards,
Aneesh.

Accent is good car not bad but no idea about diesel one . we have 2003 accent still running perfectly hardly gave us problem .

But i would suggest better extend your budget get bit newer car if you really don't like your hand getting dirty or car love mechanic garage too much .

Also please all diesel are pretty much abused very much so expect lot of problem . better go hatch diesel new if possible save your headace for next 10years

Dear Gopal sir, I love your enthusiasm and do not want to kill it but the fact remains that one cannot get a good, reliable, trouble free, well maintained diesel car for Rs. 1.5 lakh. Almost all cars that you would be able to buy at this price point would have the last straw of life wrung out of their engine, transmission, bodywork, suspension, brakes, steering, etc. Needless to say, stay away from a car that is no longer in production.

It may still be possible to get one but you will need to look very very hard and need to be very very lucky; think of someone in desperate need of money with a 40000 km run diesel car and suddenly the skies brighten up.

I would say forget it, unless you are too keen. I would not advise to take such a risk considering that we have a shoe string budget in hand. The cost of repairs in the future would make the purchase price look like a trifling.

Increase your budget to something around Rs. 3 lakhs and then we are talking[:)].

All the best!

Regards,
Sam

p.s.: By the way, how technically inclined are you?

Last edited:
@Zenandenfield

Just to give my side of the story here

1. In 2008, we bought a Zen D of 2001 model having a ODO of 70k for Rs.1.4L and the present ODO is 170000 and running excellent with FE of 17kmpl in city and 23kmpl on highways. No major issues so far and few minor things related to electrical, AC gas filling !!

2. Yesterday we finalised a Zen D of 2002 with ODO 140k for Rs.1.5L for my cousin and car in excellent condition[:)] While buying this we have come across a Palio of 2003 model with ODO of 90k and in superb condition, but my cousin some how turned it down on the spares issue

For budget of 1.5L you should be able to get a hatchback in decent condition. As Gurrala74 mentioned, you should be able to find good Palio / ZenD. If lucky you can get Sedan too like Accent / Lancer.

Indica is also not a bad choice if you manage to get 75 - 80K run, 5Year old, Single owner vehicle. We sold one such car 2 years back for 1.7L.

Palio parts are very expensive and hard to come by.The upkeep could make a hole in your pocket.Ask ss80 who recently worked on a Palio.

Thread Starter #12
@ Sam, thanks, I appreciate your knowledge about cars. You are probably right and very kill-joy/depressing. I am not clear as to what you mean by technically inclined, but I cannot do major repairs by myself and am not very knowledgeable about cars. I have another problem, I changed my TAI password 2 days back and now I cannot login from my cell, I can only login on a pc, any idea how to solve this? But Sam, I am 49 years old, if God blesses me then I may have another 10 years. So with my savings I need to have a car that I enjoy, not just getting from point A to point B, and have something left over to eat and pay rent in case this economy continues to be so bad.

@ Gurrala74 - It was good talking you at TAI-Hosur meet. Thanks for the advice but I have had enough of Zen, I also find it difficult getting in and out of the Zen with my 5'11" height and bad back.. at 49 years of age, if I am lucky God may give me another 10 years so I would like to enjoy my ride [:)]

@ Jarpickle, I asked Ilango to help but I think he has not logged on so far. I may have to call him. I checked out SS80's review of the Palio, yes it does seem expensive and parts are difficult to source. Yes you are right that LPG does cause more wear, so I am using petrol mostly.

@ Taidhana - yes, looking for accent/lancer or v2. I saw a blue sierra turbo but someone already bought it.[cry]

Your relative would be reading this too :evil:
Appus, oh no, don't blackmail me![surprise]

Last edited by a moderator:
@Zenandenfield

I agree with you on that getting in and out of Zen, I am also same height and find same problem. The first zenD I have posted bought by my father in law who is around 58years now and use the car extensively, but he is short by height so it is suitable for him. The second one finalised yesterday also for my cousin who is again a short height person, so it is easy for him.

To remind you there is already a bad Hyundai accent story, as one of my cousin bought one 2 months back, which is 2005 model CRDI having ODO of 90,000km, but believe me it made his life really misearable with the kind of repairs and break downs again and again and as usual Hyundai repair cost is expensive, so I won't suggest that for you with this experience.

Yes, you can very well look for a 3 to 4 year old Indica which is really good with comfort and other things and repairs are always cheap. With that kind of tight budget it is difficult to get a good one like a Swift which you need to shell out another 2 L more for a reasonably good one. But I am sure the 2nd cars market is flooded these days and if you search carefully you will definitely get a good one

OT : you are 49 but just think that you are young enough to become a youth leader in politics of today[;)], so lot of life is left sir and we all governed by almighty.

Just check with AR Ram sir, if he is any mood to sell his Skoda to you[:)]

Last edited by a moderator:
ZenandEnfield@

When you buy a diesel at 1.5 lakhs, be ready to spent at least 40K in next for maintenace, which ever the vehicle you are selecting

Sedan options

1. Indigo
2. Esteem diesel
3. Accent Dls (with old peugot engine.Same in esteem &Zen. No idea bout spare availablity)
4. Accent CRDI(heard horror stories. But if you got a car after engine work it may last for another 50K without much problem)
5. Ikon
6. Lancer(good condition will be above 2 lakhs)
7. fiat sienna/petra
8. Octavia[evil](you will get one,if you have luck.higher spare cost)
9. Ambassdor[:D](Since you are a bullet owner)

Hatch back

1. Indica
2. palio/uno
3. zen

If you are fixed to go for Sedan i think Indigo and Esteem diesel are the best options.if you can search you should get a good one off these two.A big no for Accent CRDi.Its very troublesome if done 80K.Final call is yours.

Top Bottom