Hyundai Verna 1.6 - Petrol or Diesel

Thread Starter #1
Hi,
Have read lot of threads regarding the same but still confused about selecting a Verna 1.6 SX - VTVT or CRDI. The threads here are either not recent or too long to find relevant answers, so this thread.

I drive 20-25 kms for office (both ways) in Bangalore and some long distance (inter-city trips once a quarter). So with current fuel price differences, I would need to drive ~60k+ kms to break even, excluding the service cost differences.
I have taken a test drive and the petrol looks very smooth, I drive a Getz Prime now.
What accentuates my confusion is:
- I hardly see a VTVT type on road, and almost all are AUTO or CRDI.
- Resale prices of the Petrol and Diesel Variant.
- Actual FE.

Please suggest!
[confused]

Hi binnie,
Your usage needs only a petrol car,but if you want resale value you need a diesel car.If you can shell out the one lakh price difference,look no further buy a diesel.I assume you plan to keep it for less than 5 years,if not one lakh invested properly will definitely double in 6 to 7 years.So it all boils down to your down payment capacity, the time you intend to keep the car.

Thread Starter #3
Thanks. Any idea about the FE. I have seen people quoting from 8-13 for Petrol and 17 as per the company. Same spread for diesel.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
i get 8-10 in summers with full time AC and lots of idling. in winters i get around 12.
diesel owners get around 12kmpl in city traffic with full time AC. on highways it gets better.

will you be keeping your getz or sell it ? the reason i ask is because my initial estimated commute was 10000kms per year and now it's 10000kms per 1.5 year jusst because i use either my santro or i10 if available.

if you drive just 25 kms then i'll say go for the petrol. i bought the petrol because of the same running.

i'm assuming diesel will cost you 1.5 lakhs more than the petrol + more service cost of diesel.

petrol's second free service - 1055
diesel's second free service - 4000-5000.

i'll say go for the petrol. both diesel and petrol price will rise in future so don't just see the fuel cost. you'll have to pay interest on that extra 1.5 lakh if you take a loan.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Thanks for the clarity!

Ya, I was going for Petrol, but then this recent petrol hike came in and looking around, I don't see too many Petrol variants, so got confused.

I plan to keep the Getz for some more time, it's already 6 yrs old. So I don't think it matters now regarding resale.

With my Getz, I am getting 10-11 now, so I guess the new Verna Petrol wont be any worse!

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
My neighbor said the same thing when I told him about the mileage

" I get 10 from my esteem so it won't matter much"[:D] he bought the petrol verna.

I told you about the mileage, other thing is the pathetic front bumper quality, you have to be careful or else bumper will literally break. It's worse than my i10.

Other than this I haven't faced any issues. If you have more doubts you can ask.

Hi binnie
Back of envelop calculation..
Weekdays: 125kms (25*5) + Weekends: 150kms (75*2) => 275kms / week. Which is roughly 15,000kms per year. Since you have mentioned about break even in 60K kms, you would break even in 4 years.

I would strongly advise a diesel car for you, for following reasons:

1. I am not sure of OTR price of Diesel Vs Petrol versions. Let us assume price difference is around 1.5 Lakhs. Let us say, after 5 years you would sell this car. If Diesel car fetches you 5Lakh, Petrol car will fetch you only 3Lakh or less. Essentially, the extra money you pay now will be offset at time of resale. (Nothing much to choose between Diesel & Petrol here)

2. Difference in maintenance cost between petrol and diesel is not very high. I owned a Diesel verna before and in 110,000kms of my ownership, I never spent more than Rs.7000 for any 10,000km service. Only exception was 1Lakh service when I replaced the clutch. Let us assume petrol car service would only Rs.5000 per service. Considering your usage levels, your annual service charges for Diesel will be approximately Rs.10,000, while for petrol car it would be around Rs.7,500. (Petrol car is slightly cheaper to maintain)

3. Diesel cars are more efficient than Petrol cars. For your usage level & assuming 15kmpl mileage for Diesel car, you need to spend only Rs. 1000 / week. For the same usage level, assuming 11kmpl for Petrol car, you need to spend approximately Rs.1800/week for Petrol. Can't explain this joy - you will have switch from a Petrol car to Diesel car to experience this & you will pat yourself every time you refill (Diesel car will pinch you only half as much as Petrol car)

From a commercial stand point, Diesel car definitely makes a lot of sense. And from comfort perspective, new age Diesels are extremely good (though not as silent as petrol cars). Especially, Verna Diesel is extremely powerful car and you would fall in love with the car.

P.S: I owned Verna VGT CRDi from 2008 to 2013 & had driven close to 110k before selling early this year.

Last edited:
Hai binnie , as AHC said go for Verna petrol. With rise in fuel prices and considering the difference in price between both it's better to go with a petrol one . The Indian automotive trend has changed back to petrol trend after two years of diesel trend. Even I had the same confusion while getting my Verna ,after lot of research and advice from our fellow members (AHC, jarpickle, Himalayan3009) I chose the petrol one. Yes I agree that one doesn't find many petrol Verna's on road but that gives a touch of special show [lol] . Umm I don't know about resale because I can't trade this beauty for anything [:D] . I get around 15-16 in city(there's not much traffic out here) as per mid and 16.5-17.5 in highway .[:)]

Thread Starter #10
Cool... thanks for all the suggestions.. I have now inclined to the Diesel version, as I see short term benefit. The fuel price difference I think is here to stay and the difference between the 2 variants as quoted is 1.2L. So I can bear the extra price of EMI over 5 yrs.

I don't plan to sell it (not even soon), but its always good to know how fast your asset is depreciating.

Further, there is a Wine red color launched recently, has anyone seen it? I saw it on the Grand i10 today, looked good. Planning to go for the same on the Verna (haven't seen though).

Last edited:
Hi binnie,

Like other said according to your usage petrol is good one. And FE depends on driving. People here even got 14kmpl in city drive and 17kmpl on highways. So I think its not bad. You need to maintain the car.

About the diesel: if your running is much more only then you should go for Diesel. No acceleration and smoothness issue in diesel You will get same as petrol. However diesel mileage is way to high than petrol. But technically diesel is a dirty oil than petrol so it requires more higher cost maintenance all time. Also according to my knowledge diesel engine will not remain smooth in far future if you cant maintain it properly. But petrol engine will be smooth in far future with less maintenance. So according to me if my monthly driving is max and I need to use a good car for long still I would chose Petrol.

Further, there is a Wine red color launched recently, has anyone seen it? I saw it on the Grand i10 today, looked good. Planning to go for the same on the Verna (haven't seen though).
Wine red? I recently booked one and I heard the Purple color has been discontinued. But didn’t heard or see the Wine red color. I think the wine red would be similar to the purple and it could be replacement of the purple.

It could be like this one: http://www.drive2.ru/cars/hyundai/solaris/solaris/nikolasage/ if so I've missed this.

Last edited:

Top Bottom