Should I Sell Off My Old Maruti 800?

Thread Starter #1
Hi friends,

I think a few may know that I am owing a 15 year old maruti 800.2 days before my father started the topic of selling the car.The main think he pointed out was the expenditure cost.we service the car everytime at the popular motors.This time since he wanted to change the broken exhaust and the faded out front grill,the bill shooted to 4.5k-5k.oil changed,new muffler,new front grill,plugs replaced,points replaced.The brake inspection and wheel bearing changing is due now.We really have a lowest car run.We wanted the car only to carry 4 members and with AC [:)].As he is complaining that the car need too much expenditure and is also unnecessary.He wanted to sell the car.The car is of good condition and complete paint job done 2 yrs ago and still has the good looks with 2 or 3 small rusts.it is pending for FC.Its is a 3rd hand car for us and there is only approx 10k kms for 2Lacks kms.So i think it would require over-hauling donno the cost.Is it advisable to dispose a car and get a new wagon R or sting ray?Also I would like to know the cost of engine over hauling and Bearing change and brake inspection.Is it advisable to service the car at local shop as they are little cheap?I am in the bottom level of middle class family so having to be in very bad money problem for a new car.Also please help me out in the sale value.[confused]

Thanks in advance.Please leave any type of suggestion[clap]

Re: Should I sell my car?

Dear harikishen95,

Madras is a salty, humid city. I expect your 800 to be rusted.

Selling away a 15 year old Maruti 800 with almost 2 lakh kilometres on the odo would not fetch you more than Rs.30000 and that too is a pretty optimistic figure. Same goes if you exchange it against the purchase price of a new car.

What's your usage pattern like? If the car is used minimally, then it makes no sense to spend Rs 5 lakh or so on a new car since you can always hire a radio cab for a fraction of the amount of the EMI + interest that you'd be paying for the new car. The mathematics of it all could be easily worked out.

At the end of the day it all boils down to the usage pattern. If you need a car for daily duties, then a new car makes sense. You know it too well that any old but reasonably well maintained carburetted Maruti 800 can be brought to pristine condition (including bodywork) for around Rs. 50000.

Take your call.

Regards,
Sam

Last edited:

15 years car is not good to keep it running. Some recurring problem will crop up which will never get fixed up. Fixing problem A will raise to problem B and fixing problem B will lead to problem C. This is my opinion.
Body rust is another issue which can change entire scenario. All the pulling,pushing.vibration etc will come. Fixing that will be nightmare.
Most of the time will be spend in the service center if you want to keep the car in good running condition.
I would suggest sell the car and get a new car depending on your budget and usage.
If your usage is really low, then as suggested by "Sam" make use of radio taxi.

Thread Starter #5

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/13513-restoration-maruti-800-1991-tonnes-pics-uploaded-6.html#post318603

The above link might give you some idea on the engine overhaul. I will check the pricing part & will update shortly.
Thanks you SS80 the price would be very helpful in my decision

Dear harikishen95,

Madras is a salty, humid city. I expect your 800 to be rusted.

Selling away a 15 year old Maruti 800 with almost 2 lakh kilometres on the odo would not fetch you more than Rs.30000 and that too is a pretty optimistic figure. Same goes if you exchange it against the purchase price of a new car.

What's your usage pattern like? If the car is used minimally, then it makes no sense to spend Rs 5 lakh or so on a new car since you can always hire a radio cab for a fraction of the amount of the EMI + interest that you'd be paying for the new car. The mathematics of it all could be easily worked out.

At the end of the day it all boils down to the usage pattern. If you need a car for daily duties, then a new car makes sense. You know it too well that any old but reasonably well maintained carburetted Maruti 800 can be brought to pristine condition (including bodywork) for around Rs. 50000.

Take your call.

Regards,
Sam
As I stated above our use is minimal and the reason why we bought the car is to travel to places together with the AC on.Our car has got a very good body work.It has a exactly on 3 rust places not more than an 1 inch in size.We travel to pondicherry every month.Also we really need to have a car.The taxi's won't workout for us.My dad's a car freak.[:)]The main doubt I have is "is it worth spending a little and be happy like finish the overhauling and keep the car with me or sell it for 30k and get a new one.'cause getting a Wagon R is really a lot of money for us.Its like choosing which is optimal thats it"

15 years car is not good to keep it running. Some recurring problem will crop up which will never get fixed up. Fixing problem A will raise to problem B and fixing problem B will lead to problem C. This is my opinion.
Body rust is another issue which can change entire scenario. All the pulling,pushing.vibration etc will come. Fixing that will be nightmare.
Most of the time will be spend in the service center if you want to keep the car in good running condition.
I would suggest sell the car and get a new car depending on your budget and usage.
If your usage is really low, then as suggested by "Sam" make use of radio taxi.
Since we are having this car for more than 5 years we have completed the hard times with the car.Wiper problems,AC aluminium tube broken(donno the exact name,radiator leaks,new muffler).Now the cost of maintenance has come down.Also please read the above replys to sam sir for other answers to you suggestions.

Uncleared doubts:
1.Cost of wheel bearings and Brake inspection
2.Engine overhauling(Need from ss80)

@Hari

However you maintain problems increase with the age either it a car or a human body. As we can't replace our body so we repair it[:)]

Please sell out the car irrespective of the price you get and look out for used Alto/wagon R which in good condition

Let's do some Maths:

OTR for a new Wagon R/Stingray = Rs. 5 lakh approx.

Let's assume you obtain a car loan for Rs. 5 lakhs from SBI at the going rate (10.45%).

EMI @ Rs. 1700 per lakh for a 7 year repayment period = Rs. 8500.

EMI @ Rs. 2560 per lakh for a 4 year repayment period = Rs. 12800.

Cost of making your 800 'new' = Rs. 50000 - 70000 (@Anand: please comment).

This means that your 800 could be made 'new' at the cost of eight 7 year EMIs OR five 4 year EMIs.

Though I agree that a 15 year old Maruti 800 with 2 lakh kilometres on the odo would statistically never be as reliable as a new Wagon R, but if you are not in a position to spend Rs. 5 lakhs on a new Wagon R BUT still require a reliable car, please keep the above calculations in mind. Also remember that the resale value of your 800 would still remain less than Rs 50000 irrespective of the money that you will spend on restoring it.

The other option you have is to sell your 800 and buy a low run petrol car (Santro/Wagon R/Alto etc.) at around Rs. 80000. There are many good deals available. - look hard, avoid car dealers and you would land up with a good and reliable, used car with a lot of life left in it at a price that won't burn a hole in your pocket.

Decisions, decisions.....

Okay here are the details:

Engine Overhaul: 15,000/- (includes clutch, pistons, bearings, valves replacement)
Electrcial issues: 600/- (A to Z wires in your car can be replaced with new ones for 4000/-)
Suspension & Drive Train: 12,000/- (2 delphi drive shafts + servicing the front 2 struts)
Minor tinker work: 1500/- (Assuming there are some rust points)
All lights - 1200/- (Headlamp+ tail lamp + indicators + double cabin lamp)
Interiors - 8000/- (Art Leather Seat covers + moulded roof + carpet + floor mats + all door pads)
tyres: 12000/-

The expenses mainly depend on the condition of the car & your willingness.

Brake Booster upgrade costs only about 4200/- (including labour)
Engine works can vary between 7000/- to 15000/- (depends on how bad the present engine is).

Interiors cost breakdown
1. Moulded roof - 1800/-
2. Fabric seat covers (slip on type) - 1600/-
3. Art Leather covers (tailor made) - 4000/- (average quality)
4. Tyres - 2800/- approx each
5. Battery - 3800/- (with 2/ 3yrs warranty)

A summary of the cost (parts only - labour depends on the mechanic)

Minimum: 28000/- (excluding replacing tyres, battery, wiring harness, body works etc - purely functional upgrade)
Maximum: 60,000/- (inlcuding tyres, battery, wiring harness, minor rustings, complete interior upgrade, engine reconditioning)

Thread Starter #9
@Gurrala74:Thanks for your suggestion.I will better try to sell my car

@sam dinkar:Thank you sir.Used car is a no word for me.If I sell this car the next one would be a new one.Hope I sell this car soon.

@ss80:Thank you for the plenty of details on the cost.made me almost decide on the sale.

Although analized the day end with the decision of dad.I hope he feels better with the same.Thank you all who helped me [:)]

Top Bottom