Standard (Rover) 2000 - Search Inputs Required

Thread Starter #1
I am keen to buy a Standard 2000 car, manufactured by the earlier Madras Motors (now closed). The car was on Indian roads for very brief period (around 3-4yrs) & understand had its lacunae, which led to its demise.

I am looking at buying a working or non-working model (prefer Mumbai - am okey to ship it from other state) and replace engine/gear delivery - yet to identify the make/displacement etc

Did lot of search/ calls based on what is coming up on the net, but not much success.

Any inputs on the reliable contacts who deal in this make and also expert inputs/opinion to be mindful if one get into the above project is much appreciated.

Thread Starter #3
hey man good idea! rover is very rare car here now.. you sure wanna take risk of owning one??
The model catches my fancy and hence the attempt. Parts can still be imported from UK - sometime till that too become rare.

Are there any good ones on the road or people still in touch with managing this around?

350Z

Core Team
I am keen to buy a Standard 2000 car, manufactured by the earlier Madras Motors (now closed). The car was on Indian roads for very brief period (around 3-4yrs) & understand had its lacunae, which led to its demise.
Your thread brings back the nostalgia. In 2013, finding a Standard 2000 is as difficult as finding a needle in haystack. Such cars could be usually found rotting in the corner of a local garage. Do considering contacting a known local workshop who might be able to guide better to source one.

Drive Safe,
350Z

May be you can contact Pavan Kadam (Restorer in Bangalore) or Sulaiman (Restorer & Seller in Bangalore) they might be able to help you. I have seen their cars, read a lot about them, but dont have their contact numbers.

Thread Starter #6
Thanks - I did get some inputs (nothing concrete) last week - looks like Chennai itself has less that 7-8 working Standard 2000s and none of them will be stock other than probably the shell.

Search continues...

only last week i have searched for the standard 2000! pictures.
the name brings back nostalgic memories, when i used to stare in awe at those majestic cars.
please continue your search, and post updates,
btw, shall we ask around? in our areas?

Thread Starter #8
Got a lead today on a Standard 2000 being available in B'lore through a dealer - asking final seems to be around INR 1.6 lacs. It does look to be on the higher side even though dealer claims it is still stock and needs only a battery change.

Any thoughts on the pricing/range etc?

350Z

Core Team
Got a lead today on a Standard 2000 being available in B'lore through a dealer - asking final seems to be around INR 1.6 lacs. It does look to be on the higher side even though dealer claims it is still stock and needs only a battery change. Any thoughts on the pricing/range etc?
Ask him to share some images. If condition looks reasonable, you could either request someone in Bangalore to perform a mechanical inspection or check yourself to evaluate.

Drive Safe,
350Z

1.6 lakhs for a Standard 2000[lol]. And that too in 'original' condition[lol].

My dear, the Standard 2000 car in 'original' condition is not a good car to own because of its diabolical engine and gearbox. Though I do admit that as a kid I too was smitten by its shape but buying one in these times just does not make any sense.

Read more about it here:
SD1 - AROnline

This one really takes me nostalgia lane----the most beautiful car to be made in India late 80's ---- For 2 lakh rupees it gave you all the creature comforts at that time which we have in our cars today, power windows, central locking, power steering and the works

same car that was gifted to PT Usha

here's a song from the famous Kamal Hasan known as 'Appu Raja' in Hindi..( Raja kaiya vacha in Tamil )taken entirely in the Standard Motors factory at MADRAS

kamal hassan...raja kaiya vecha - YouTube

Hi Iam new to this forum. However iam quite familiar to your requirement.
Let me know what all you would want to know about the Standard 2000 car

Thread Starter #13
Hi Iam new to this forum. However iam quite familiar to your requirement.
Let me know what all you would want to know about the Standard 2000 car
Availability if any?, location, price, condition etc., for Standard 2000

If you can really afford it, then everything is available in this city as these were manufactured here.

A car can be sourced easily with papers whose condition would not be quite good, but definitely restorable.
All spares can be sourced as NOS ( New Old Stock)

But let me know first if you have somebody at your end who is expert in restoring this car completely, namely a good tinker / painter, a good old electrician / a good old mechanic.

Above all just let me know your idea of this project.

i mean cost idea of this project from start to finsih

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom