- Long term usability
- Decent looks & premium feel
- Suv/Sedan with decent seating space
- low problematic car
-Airbags n other safety equipment

Budget- 15 lakhs- OTR
state-haryana
Current options-
1. Terrano (liked the looks, hopefully would be a reliable car, not so sure about the dealer issues they are facing, low brand value in terms of service plus stupid issues like no armrest, no cool gadgets, nothing outstanding in the interiors made me doubt the car)
2. Octavia might turn out to be too big for my parking space, plus i will be only be able to afford its lower end petrol model i guess)
3. Vento ( decent car overall, just I can afford a bigger car y settle for this.
4. Duster- Should be fine, but if I am going in for duster, Y not terrano.
5. Ecosport- My first choice initially, backseat space was so bad that no one in the family liked it.

6. May be something you can recommend. Kindly help if possible as I have been sitting on the fence since last 10 months. Need to make the purchase urgently.

Re: the highly confused buyer..

Hi K10,
you could opt for
SUV
====
Safari Storme (VX too does come close to around 15L, New Explorer Edition too has been launched you could check it out.)
XUV 500 (one of the best selling cars)

Sedan
=======
Corolla Altis
Hyundai Elantra
Chevy Cruze
Honda Civic

Re: the highly confused buyer..

Hi,

Here is what i need
- Long term usability
- low problematic car
Need to make the purchase urgently.
If reliability (low problematic car) is one of the factors, go for TOYOTA COROLLA ALTIS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you haven't said how much your usage would be. I would advice you to check the Hyundai Elantra if going for a diesel and the Toyota Corolla Altis if you plan to get a petrol. VW Jetta Trendline with the on-going discounts might also fit in your budget and I feel it is the most upmarket and sophisticated vehicle one can buy in 15Lacs today. Though my pick would be Hyundai Elantra diesel for the sheer luxury it provides on the inside, its a looker from the outside and has decent ride and handling as compared to the other Hyundai's and has a VFM tag as compared to others in the same lot.

This is the message:

Hi,

Here is what i need:
- Long term usability
- low problematic car

Budget- 15 lakhs- OTR
state-haryana
Current options-
1. Terrano (liked the looks, hopefully would be a reliable car, not so sure about the dealer issues they are facing, low brand value in terms of service plus stupid issues like no armrest, no cool gadgets, nothing outstanding in the interiors made me doubt the car)
2. Octavia might turn out to be too big for my parking space, plus i will be only be able to afford its lower end petrol model i guess)
3. Vento ( decent car overall, just I can afford a bigger car y settle for this.
4. Duster- Should be fine, but if I am going in for duster, Y not terrano.
5. Ecosport- My first choice initially, backseat space was so bad that no one in the family liked it.

6. May be something you can recommend. Kindly help if possible as I have been sitting on the fence since last 10 months. Need to make the purchase urgently.
Why not try the xuv 500 ? It will come in your budget and it has all the features you wish and want in a car .

This is the message:

Here is what i need:
- Long term usability
- low problematic car

Budget- 15 lakhs- OTR
Since long term usability and reliability is your main concern, i will suggest you to stick with Japanese or Korean counterparts. Toyota Corolla / Innova and Honda Civic will be the best choice for you. You may even look upto Hyundai Elantra.

Renault/VW/Nissan arenew to India but internationally big names but they have still years to go to prove long term reliability on Indian roads. If that is not an issue, you may even look for Renault Fluence, VW Jetta, Chevrolet Cruze, Skoda Laura.

If you are more inclined towards SUV, as I can make out because of your preferance to Ecosport/Duster/Terrano, I would also suggest you to look into safari Storme and XUV500. they have had niggles in earlier versions, but they claim to have been fixed.

My list in order of decreasing priority will be (based on premium looks, long term usage, reliability, space and safety)

SEDANS
1. Honda Civic
2. Hyundai Elantra
3. Toyota Corolla
4. Renault Fluence (only diesel will come in 15L budget)
5. Chevrolet Cruze
6. Skoda Laura (Skoda does have high maintenance and horror stories)
7. VW Jetta (VW does have high maintenance and horror stories)

UVs
1. Toyota Innova (No one can touch this in terms of reliability, looks are questionable though)
2. Safari Storme (the best SUV - but lacks features)
3. XUV 500 (tonnes of features, but lot many niggles in earlier version which mahindra claims to have been fixed)
4. Nissan Terrano / Renault Duster (still they need to prove their worth for long run)
5. Tata Aria (awesome car but lacks in exclusivity and looks)
6. Force One
6. Tata Xenon

My list in order of decreasing priority will be (based on premium looks, long term usage, reliability, space and safety)

SEDANS
1. Honda Civic
2. Hyundai Elantra
3. Toyota Corolla
4. Renault Fluence (only diesel will come in 15L budget)
5. Chevrolet Cruze
6. Skoda Laura (Skoda does have high maintenance and horror stories)
7. VW Jetta (VW does have high maintenance and horror stories)

UVs
1. Toyota Innova (No one can touch this in terms of reliability, looks are questionable though)
2. Safari Storme (the best SUV - but lacks features)
3. XUV 500 (tonnes of features, but lot many niggles in earlier version which mahindra claims to have been fixed)
4. Nissan Terrano / Renault Duster (still they need to prove their worth for long run)
5. Tata Aria (awesome car but lacks in exclusivity and looks)
6. Force One
6. Tata Xenon
Boss Honda civic is discontinued . And he wants a SUV / car . Tata xenon is a kind of pick up truck .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi You can go for these

SUV(priority bases)

1.XUV500
2. Terrano
3.Duster
4. Safari Storm
5. Scorpio
6. Force One

Sedan
1. Corolla altis
2. Cruze
3. Hyundai elantra
4. Hyundai Verna

I suggest you to test drive all that you like & settle for which your heart[angel] give like & face smile [:D]

Thread Starter #9
Hi all,
thanks for all the generous replies.
although nearly everyone has XUV as the priority but reliability n problem free ownership is something mahindra n tata have not been live upto.

Probably my only option if I go for a SUV is duster/terrano. both of them do not offer any decent equipment which sedans do.

In the sedan segment I am down to 3 choices

: Vento(top model) ; good schemes are going on currently including free insurance for 3yrs

Jetta(lowest model) others are out of my reach but lowest one lacks a lot of features.

Fluence( mid level of the upcoming facelift) probably my top choice.

Octavia( looks good, once prices come out, will decide)

Last edited:
Hi k10sood,
The upcoming Renault Fluence facelift looks really good,can't comment on long term reliability.But the interior plastics of the current one are not up to the commanding price.Both Duster and Vento Diesels have a hard clutch.If you have no issues in using a Petrol one Jetta is worth considering,it looks like a small Audi from rear.I don't think it looses on equipment's vis a vis other cars in your shortlist.If you can wait Skoda Octavia is gonna get launched in October with 1.4 TSI engine I guess.

As per your requirements, i think the following list of cars are apt for you.

SUV

1. Force One LX ( soon to be launched, was seeing in Google )
2. XUV 500
3. Sumo
4. Safari Storm
5. Scorpio
6. Duster

Sedan
1. Honda City
2. Corolla altis
3. Cruze
4. Hyundai elantra
5. Hyundai Verna

I however recommend you to take test drives of each of these and then take your call. Force One LX is a good option as it is coming with differential to be driven off road as well as on road. Additionally it also provides the ABS with EBD as safety features.

Do let us know which car you finalize at the end!

Thread Starter #12
Hi all,

I have finally shortlisted the following two:

1) Fluence E4, Awesome offers are available, nearly 1.5 lakhs off

Loved the simple and elegant interiors, decent features too.
ride quality put me off a bit. clutch, speed etc were too light for my preference. everything else seems great.

2) Elantra top model, Better in drivability, M guessing better ASS also.
only thing, design is so much similar to verna, with same engine.
And a little in your face kind off interiors as compared to elegant fluence.

Well, this is most interesting thread I ever came across.
@sood, have you changed the title of thread to 'The highly confused buyer ' after you got responses to your opening post. Because most of the responders are suggesting you 5to7sedans and 5 to7 SUV s including UV and discontinued cars. [gun],
This confusion could have been easily avoided if you would have gone through this link.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-shopper/1298-looking-buy-car-must-read.html

Here is what i need
You really need to decide on this first . Tell us , how far you are satisfied with the ground clearance of your stock Honda city?Do you find it boring to slow down every time when you come across speed breakers, potholes and diversions due to WIP.?
Mention little bit about your driving style.
Also mention about road conditions you face Daily.
@all, if parking space is the problem for Octy, then why to suggest cars like storme, XUV, Jetta, Altis blah blah blah.
@sood, unless you post the monthly running and approx city /highway break up, we all are going to remain confused about petrol vs diesel decision.

With budget 15 L, someone suggested Sumo gold . I think one can purchase it @8 to 9 L and then remaining amount can be used to purchase /built parking space . I request you all to :lol!:

k10sood,

Among the SUVs, below are my suggestions in the precedence.

1. Mahindra XUV5OO - Yes the car is trouble free as far as I hear and already have booked one.
2. Maruthi Ertiga - Am surprised none so far suggested this [surprise]
3. Toyota Innova - Since you have not mentioned power as a criteria
4. Renault Duster - Value for money car if looking for 5 seater

Sedans suggested would be as below:-

1. Chevy Cruze - Low end model might come within your budget in your state, LTZ costs close to 20L in B'lore
2. Toyota Corolla - Dependable car as far as I hear
3. Nissan Sunny - Known for its space
4. Honda Amaze - Latest addition by Honda to the market, a budget car
5. Hyundai Elantra - The new fluidic version is an eye candy, good interiors too, not sure about the price though

Am not suggesting VW, Skoda & Tata as am not convinced with their dealership attitude and infamous after sales service. [anger]
The choice purely depends on your taste though, as the looks that I may like might feel ugly to you.

Hope this helps; Happy hunting and shopping.

Thanks,
Arvind S.

Thread Starter #15
Well, this is most interesting thread I ever came across.
@sood, have you changed the title of thread to 'The highly confused buyer ' after you got responses to your opening post. Because most of the responders are suggesting you 5to7sedans and 5 to7 SUV s including UV and discontinued cars. [gun],
This confusion could have been easily avoided if you would have gone through this link.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-shopper/1298-looking-buy-car-must-read.html

You really need to decide on this first . Tell us , how far you are satisfied with the ground clearance of your stock Honda city?Do you find it boring to slow down every time when you come across speed breakers, potholes and diversions due to WIP.?
Mention little bit about your driving style.
Also mention about road conditions you face Daily.
@all, if parking space is the problem for Octy, then why to suggest cars like storme, XUV, Jetta, Altis blah blah blah.
@sood, unless you post the monthly running and approx city /highway break up, we all are going to remain confused about petrol vs diesel decision.

With budget 15 L, someone suggested Sumo gold . I think one can purchase it @8 to 9 L and then remaining amount can be used to purchase /built parking space . I request you all to :lol!:
hahaha, I was confused before I asked this ques and to tell you the truth confusion has only increased.
People are simply giving out all the names they could think of, Like I did during my College Vivas.[lol]

To answer your questions now:

1) Diesel. monthly running around 1500kms
2) Driving style- Normal I guess, no harsh driving and speeds upto 100-120 only on highways.
3) Roads towards my home are pretty congested so not going to go for Octavia.

4) Would prefer a above avg ground clearance and good suspension. hate slowing down on odd shaped speed breakers which only end up scratching the bottom of my car.

Let me know If anything else I can help with.

Top Bottom