New Car Dilemma : 4.5 Lakhs OTR Budget

Thread Starter #1
HI All,

I am planning to buy a new car. Please suggest.

Your Budget: 4.5 Lakhs on Road (A Strict budget [frustration])

> New or Used: Brand New

> Your Location: Pune

> Top Five Priorities: F.E and less maintenance.

> Monthly Running: 800 - 1000 KMS

> Type of Fuel: Only Petrol

> For What Purpose: Home to office commute (40 Kms to and Fro) and once a while long drive

> Seating Capacity: 2 Adult and 1 Kid. (Note I am 5.9)

> Type of Segment: As per budget

Thanks in advance

Re: New Car Dilema

HI All,

I am planning to buy a new car. Please suggest.

Your Budget: 4.5 Lakhs on Road (A Strict budget [frustration])

> New or Used: Brand New

> Your Location: Pune

> Top Five Priorities: F.E and less maintenance.

> Monthly Running: 800 - 1000 KMS

> Type of Fuel: Only Petrol

> For What Purpose: Home to office commute (40 Kms to and Fro) and once a while long drive

> Seating Capacity: 2 Adult and 1 Kid. (Note I am 5.9)

> Type of Segment: As per budget

Thanks in advance
Wagon r is the car I would suggest . No nonsense , practical , less maintenance .

Newly launched WagonR (Stingray) is a good choice. Possibly you will get Sail UVA base version in this price too.

Let us know what type of driver you are.. do you like driving or more of a point A to point B type of person.

I could think of these possible alternatives
- Tata Nano - as you said you would be driving 90-95% in city for office, I see this as a very practical alternative. Huge space, easy servicing, less mantainence cost, and high fuel economy

- Wagon R - The best city car. Loads of space, nimble controls, and good fuel economy with maruti servicing network

- Santro - Nice peppy engine, looks bigger, tonnes of space, good fuel economy. Bit higher on servicing cost, but I have been driving one myself for 7 years and am ga-go for it

- Eon - A bit smaller than santro and a bit less powered engine, but does carry good looks and hyundai's trust

Wagon R Stingray is new on block. pricing is 4.1-4.67 (ex-showroom). Not sure with tax policies in pune.. But if you can get that within your budget of 4.5, nothing beats it.

Thread Starter #5

Thanks guys for your reply and very sorry for missing out some details to be provided -
Currently I own a Santro and will be giving this to my brother hence I need a backup car. I need a similar type of car.
As per my initital thoughts and review below is the list which I'm considering. Kinldy help me to choose among them

Priority 1 - Beat Petrol (Top End version)
Priority 2 - I 10
Priority 3 - Figo

Wagon R we already have 1 in family hence trying not to repeat the model. No body in our family owns Chevy car hence thinking of Beat.
Please guide. Thanks again in advance.
Note - I will be keeping this car for Max 5 Yrs or 50 K Kms. Currenlty phasing out Santro since it is 6 Yrs old and 55 K on ODO

Last edited:

Thanks guys for your reply and very sorry for missing out some details to be provided -
Currently I own a Santro and will be giving this to my brother hence I need a backup car. I need a similar type of car.
As per my initital thoughts and review below is the list which I'm considering. Kinldy help me to choose among them

Priority 2 - I 10
Priority 3 - Figo

Wagon R we already have 1 in family hence trying not to repeat the model. No body in our family owns Chevy car hence thinking of Beat.
Note - I will be keeping this car for Max 5 Yrs or 50 K Kms. Currenlty phasing out Santro since it is 6 Yrs old and 55 K on ODO
Beat will not suit you as you are 5.9 tall. The seats are cramped for almost a 6 footer. I10 and figo are not FE cars in petrol segment. Wagonr and nissan micra active should be a clean fit for you. Do TD them and decide.

Priority 2 - I 10
Priority 3 - Figo

All there cars mentioned above are not good in FE . Net net you will get somewhere 10-12 kmpl in all three .

MicRa is 3 clyinder but will give you better economy then the above 3 mentioned .

Yiu can try the liva or the swift too .

But if you are only going to select between the 3 you mentioned above I will go for either i10 or beat whichever gives me better discount .

Better test drive all and then decide for yourself .

Priority 2 - I 10
Priority 3 - Figo
Beat and Figo are a no no for petrol fuel economy. Beat is a classy sporty car, but feels cramped than your already having Santro. Figo is big and lower GC, but again fuel economy brings it back.
Since you have driven Santro, I would suggest i10 of the options. It is spacious too. My friend who owns a i10 gets a FE of 12 in city, 18 in highways, and 14.5 in part city, and part RingRoads.

Why dont you try Brio base version - approx 4.1 ex-showroom price. Its classy, best petrol engine in class, and highly fuel efficient. Also Honda means no nonsense servicing and peace of mind.

Thread Starter #10
No I cannot wait for even 4-5 days. Need new car yesterday :(
On actuals I will be booking this Saturday.
For Figo somehow my parents are not in favour.
Best bet is between 1 10 and Beat. I had TD both and found to be almost OK for me. The only option for going with beat is me & my wife liked it + getting best deal. I am getting Beat top end version at around 4.90 and middle version at 4.55
By the way are there any drawbacks know other than cramped seats for Beat?
I will also TD Micra tomorrow but somehow my better half is against it.

Sorry to hijack but I am also in the same ship as yours and need to replace my Swift Vdi with a CNG car. Why CNG from Diesel, I have Verna petrol and want to reduce overall monthly expenditure to a bare minimum as my driving daily is 75 kms at an average from small car, Verna does like 600-700 kms monthly at an average. Diesel is 4 years old, 80000 kms done, requires some repair work and suspension work, engine vibrates a lot when trying to climb uphill, time to replace now! So low cost fuel option is CNG for me

I have finalized on WagonR Lxi and i10 Magna 1.2 Kappa CNG variant, the offers are as below

i10 1.2 Magna CNG -

On Road 599000
Cash Disc - 46000
Old Car vlaue incl. of 30k exchange Bonus - 365000

WagonR Lxi CNG

On Road 523379
Cash Disc 32000
Car Value 355000

So if you see WagonR is Rs.51621 cheaper with low maintenance cost and company fitted CNG.

Things in favor of WagonR
1. More sold car than i10 CNG as it is company fitted, almost 0% error rate (BIGGEST PLUS)
2. Rear seat 60:40 split to accommodate luggage
3. Lower price Tag, Lower maintenance cost
4. CNG fueling from Normal hose, I think this is missing in i10, correct me if wrong

Things in favor of i10 are

1. 1.2 L Kappa engine (4 Cylinder) with 80 ps power at 6000 rpm vs 1.0 L K series engine (3 pot) 68 ps at 6200 rpm, Torque of 114@4000 in i10 vs 90@3500 in WagonR
2. i10 has better build quality, looks and probably more stability due to car dynamics
3. i10 is 120 mm wider than WagonR
4. Body colored door handles, ORVMs with Turn indicators
5. All 4 power windows
6. Central locking

Kindly suggest, Maruti might stretch by 10k more hence cost of owning an i10 will be 61000 more than WagonR. Confused!!!

Last edited:
Chevy aren't known for their petrol engine, but what the heck, you like it you buy it. Thats how purchases are made around the world. Plus Mrs. also likes it so you can't argue.

Do check out brio and micra before your write a cheque

@macsvin Brio is your best bet in this price range. I think you can get the base variant. Can also check out Maruti Ritz. I believe these 2 cars are best in this price range.

Beat also has a small boot. Not an issue if you seldom use it :)

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
Micra _ We liked it but there is no much discount and also the ASS is not nearby. Brio I have not liked it. No offense to existing users but somehow the looks are not too appealing for me :(
Boot Space - Not a issue I hardly travel too long where I feel Boot should be big enough. My criteria is me and my wife should seat comfortable in front 2 seats and hence almost finalized for Beat. I am getting Top end version at 4.85. Seems good for me and my wife. And again I may not keep this car for too long.

Micra _ We liked it but there is no much discount and also the ASS is not nearby. Brio I have not liked it. No offense to existing users but somehow the looks are not too appealing for me :(
Boot Space - Not a issue I hardly travel too long where I feel Boot should be big enough. My criteria is me and my wife should seat comfortable in front 2 seats and hence almost finalized for Beat. I am getting Top end version at 4.85. Seems good for me and my wife. And again I may not keep this car for too long.
I would strongly recommend the i10 Kappa2 Magma/Sportz model. There are plenty of discounts available right now - because of the i10 Grand model launch. You will most likely drive 12,000 Km/year - and this car will serve you well for 5 years. Please test drive the i10; before you make your decision.

Top Bottom