Lady Ride! Which Small Automatic Hatchback To Buy??

Thread Starter #1
Hello All!
I found this forum full of practical and helpful advice, so I do hope you can guide me too. I am a busy mother of 2 young children working full time. Our family has recently moved back from the US after many years. I am now looking for a car for myself and have done some research, but have ended up quite confused - Brio vs i10 vs Ritz, vs Micra etc. Have driven in the US for many years - a VW Jetta and an Acura MDX (SUV), but am now looking for a small automatic user friendly car to drive in daily heavy traffic. See below for my requirements. What would you suggest??[confused]

>Your Budget: ~ 6 Lakhs
> New or Used: New
> Your Location: Bangalore
> Top Five Priorities: Automatic only, safety, good mileage, generally trouble free with good after sales service
> Monthly Running: less than 1000 km
> Type of Fuel: Petrol
> For What Purpose: driving to work, ferrying kids around, groceries - all city driving
> Seating Capacity: at least 4 adults
> Type of Segment: hatchback

@Pjpmat,

Welcome to TAI,

As per you requirement, the following are good choice

1. Honda Brio- A small peppy car with good space and easy to drive backed with Honda reliability
2. Micra CVT - Advanced technology with lot of space and good mileage, only thing is Nissan network to be looked into

BUT, I am not sure that both of them fall into your budget or not

Avoid I10 for its less space and bit high maintenance

For women best automatic would be astar and i 10. Also you can try nissan micra CVT. Ask your wife to TD and see which car she comfortable with.

Welcome to TAI, pjpmat.

The best car for you will be Hyundai i10 A/T. Also you can try A/T i20, Micra and Brio.

All the best.

Thread Starter #6
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Yes, I am the wife :)
I have heard that the AT i10 gives very low mileage (<10) and does not have ABS. Is this true?
In the interest of time, I would like to narrow the TD to two choices: I think the Brio will be one to TD. For the other I was considering the Maruti Ritz vs the i10. I don't think there is much of a service network for Nissan in B'lore.
What would you recommend for a second option to test drive?

Yes i10 FE is indeed poor, people in BLR complain of getting 6-7 kmpl only. With Petrol nearly 80/L its a concern.

I guess your second choice should be Brio or Micra.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Yes, I am the wife :)
I have heard that the AT i10 gives very low mileage (<10) and does not have ABS. Is this true?
In the interest of time, I would like to narrow the TD to two choices: I think the Brio will be one to TD. For the other I was considering the Maruti Ritz vs the i10. I don't think there is much of a service network for Nissan in B'lore.
What would you recommend for a second option to test drive?
I had an i10 auto asta for nearly 4 years. i10's mileage hovers around 10kmpl. It does have ABS and dual airbags in asta variant. It's easy to drive and offers good visibility too. Only downside that time was steering rattle, which must have been resolved by now.

Its Nissan CVT vs Brio for you.

Nissan has less dealer presence, but since you reside in Bangalore dealership shouldn't be a problem for you.

Both car satisfy completely different set of people. While Micra is for someone who wants a comfortable , smooth and spacious ride, Brio is a bit sporty.

Both have great city maneuverability.

Test drive both cars and see which one is best suited for you.

PS: never got more than 7 kmpl from my i10 auto in bombay traffic conditions. Plus i10 Autobox is now a generation old.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
Due to all the helpful info from everybody, I will rule out the i10 AT for now I think. Looking forward to test driving the Brio and Nissan( 2 dealers in B'lore). Nobody seems to talk about the Ritz much. ?overpriced?
I would welcome feedback from people who have the Micra or Brio AT.
Also, my husband is considering buying either the Honda City Or looking at a Nissan Sedan in the same general price range. He will buy a manual transmission. Any advice for him?

@pjmat

since you wanted an AT only Ritz was leftout as it doesn't have an AT option.
I had an micra manual and sister has an Brio. Both cars are good in their own term. I liked Micra for its lighter steering and space. Brio on other hand is a good smallish hatch.

regarding your husbands criteria for buying a car, it would be better if u start a new thread, otherwise it would lead to confusion

@pjmat

since you wanted an AT only Ritz was leftout as it doesn't have an AT option.
I had an micra manual and sister has an Brio. Both cars are good in their own term. I liked Micra for its lighter steering and space. Brio on other hand is a good smallish hatch.

regarding your husbands criteria for buying a car, it would be better if u start a new thread, otherwise it would lead to confusion
Do proper research before you write something, Ritz very much has a AT[anger]

Top Bottom