I have driven a Hyundai i10 Automatic (non ABS
variant), for about 1year (2011) (initially after getting Learner's License, I drove this car for daily use in city for office purposes, it belongs to my Boss's wife). This is what I have to say. Postives:
1. Fantastic road grip (tyre upgrade suggested though)
2. High initial pickup, you can easily be the 1st one to get out of a traffic light
3. Till date (4yrs since purchase) - NO MAINTENANCE ISSUES AT ALL!
4. The only thing replaced in the car is the battery, which was done 2months back
5. The brakes are terrific, compared to the Non-ABS
version of Astar
6. Its a big hatchback, plenty of room for luggage as well
7. The best interiors (design & quality as well) in its segment
8. Light steering, fantastic to use in city Negatives:
1. AC cooling isn't that great, when compared to Palio/Punto/Swift
2. Tyres upgrade is a must, if you want to use the car's full potential in braking etc
3. Bodyshop repairs are very costly (3500/- per panel)
4. A little bouncy for the rear seat occupants
1. A normal paid service at Advaith hyundai (Queen's Road) costs about 6000/- which includes - Oil change, wheel balancing, wheel alignment, interior & exterioe cleaning with polishing, AC gas check, battery charging, fixing any rattles in cabin.
2. Top speed (max) driven by me - 135kmph on Tunkur highway
3. Realtime in city mileage (tank full to tank full method) - 8kmpl with 100% AC usage
4. Ideal seating capacity - 4 adults + 1 kid
5. Stock ICE is good enough for most of the first time buyers
6. The car is trouble free, as long as we dont crash anywhere. Body shop & labour charges are the real pain in Hyundai, when compared to Maruti. Maruti Astar:
I have driven both manual & auto transmission in this car for about a week or so. You can get good deals for this car in True Value if you negotiate hard, the reason this car gets sold 1 in 2weeks! compared to a used Alto/WagonR which has a average time of less than 2days to get booked. There are good no:of cases wherein Astars driven less than 4000kms were on sale. Positives:
1. Its a Maruti, good mileage, cheap plastic parts (like bumpers etc)
2. Good mileage for a Automatic car - 10should not be that difficult in city with AC
3. Cornering is much better than i10
4. The rubber band effect is a bit lesser than i10
5. The top end ZXi comes with ABS
, Airbag, Alloys, ICE, Central Locking, rear defogger etc FULLY LOADED. This variant itself is available sometimes for less than 4.5lacs in a used car dealer (True Value etc) Negatives:
1. The plastic cover on top of the engine head (the air filter box part) starts to rattle within few days from service.
2. Boot space is a joke in this car, too tiny.
3. The dashboard height in the middle is too much, visibility does become an issue
4. With AC pickup reduces much more than in i10
5. The front part of the bumper is so soft, a kid can push it in. (They say its for pedestrian safety)
6. A big let down on space part Facts:
1. There are so less buyers for Astar Automatic, its hard to get to know if anyone is facing any issue.
2. You should buy this car if mileage, safety & maintenance
are top priorities. Downside is lesser space, flop design, bad resale value, visibility issues etc
Never drove one, just sat in it few days back, has more space than it looks, butter smooth engine, no rattles at all. Dashboard could have been better, rear glass door is tough, yet still a concern.
Do not ignore i10, just have a TD of both i10 & Brio before you finalise on any car.