I am new to this forum. Mods please change the relevant section of this post, if you feel this is not the correct section to discuss this topic.
I have been driving Santro Xing for 7 years and 67000+ kms. It has been a true companion and has always been on my side in the harshest road conditions. the only major modification done on my side over the factory unit is addition of tubeless tires and nitrogen gas filling. This has made the car smooth and fuel efficient also. There has been no major part replacement till now
. But lately my Xingy (thats what I call it) has started showing age. While driving I can feel it has started aging a bit. And in coming months, I think some parts may need upgradation/replacement. I do have an option of getting the issues rectified, but as we all know Hyundai servicing through authorized channels is quite expensive, and somehow I am not willing to cough up so much for an ageing vehicle. Also, the fact that it is 7 years old (old era technology), I feel I should upgrade to something which is much more present day technology and refined.
So I have decided to move on, and look for something new. My max budget is 10 lakhs (on-road including every damn tax and charges). I have tried to make a list of what my essentials should be:
- good mileage
- as i love going on long drives, good highway manners, as well as peppy in city traffic(xingy scored a 100 in city traffic but 50 on highways, so looking for something of same stature in city but way better on highways)
- less ownership costs (so VW/Skoda etc ruled out - their horror stories and expensive parts scares me nowadays)
- good network of service centers
- good high seating position, as elders also sit in the car, and they have difficulty in ingress. Also biased by xingy's high seating position
- a petrol engine ( i have driven diesel engines, but feel they lack the pepppyness required in city traffic and they are much crude if i compare with refinement of petrol engines)
- a good suspension and ground clearance (alas i still need to drive on indian roads
- all security features (ABS
/airbags/ESP/high NCAP ratings) (if not all, then atleast the essential ones like airbags) - nowadays the maniacs on roads and mainly on highways scare the hell out of me.
- it should be able to carry 4 people in comfort (and a place for a last minute addition), and a good boot to handle an average luggage of 3-4 days trip for all.
other points which are not deal breakers but will be preferred are:
- big horn button on steering wheel, so that i can use it with thumdb (need to alert the idiots on road to be away from my car)
- controls on steering wheel
- black/dark interiors (i hate the present trends of beige)
- soft clutch
- steering feedback
- light switch on right and wipers on left (RHS driving controls)
- alloy wheels
One added thing is that I do not have a bias for any make / model of a car. every brand has some pros/cons and I am fine with it unless they dont burn my pocket.
Also I am open to any of hatch/sedan/suv/muv.
So looking for ideas and suggestions. Your comments are most welcome.