Best Car Within Rs.10 Lakh

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

I am new to this forum. Mods please change the relevant section of this post, if you feel this is not the correct section to discuss this topic.

I have been driving Santro Xing for 7 years and 67000+ kms. It has been a true companion and has always been on my side in the harshest road conditions. the only major modification done on my side over the factory unit is addition of tubeless tires and nitrogen gas filling. This has made the car smooth and fuel efficient also. There has been no major part replacement till now [clap]. But lately my Xingy (thats what I call it) has started showing age. While driving I can feel it has started aging a bit. And in coming months, I think some parts may need upgradation/replacement. I do have an option of getting the issues rectified, but as we all know Hyundai servicing through authorized channels is quite expensive, and somehow I am not willing to cough up so much for an ageing vehicle. Also, the fact that it is 7 years old (old era technology), I feel I should upgrade to something which is much more present day technology and refined.

So I have decided to move on, and look for something new. My max budget is 10 lakhs (on-road including every damn tax and charges). I have tried to make a list of what my essentials should be:
- good mileage
- as i love going on long drives, good highway manners, as well as peppy in city traffic(xingy scored a 100 in city traffic but 50 on highways, so looking for something of same stature in city but way better on highways)
- less ownership costs (so VW/Skoda etc ruled out - their horror stories and expensive parts scares me nowadays)
- good network of service centers
- good high seating position, as elders also sit in the car, and they have difficulty in ingress. Also biased by xingy's high seating position
- a petrol engine ( i have driven diesel engines, but feel they lack the pepppyness required in city traffic and they are much crude if i compare with refinement of petrol engines)
- a good suspension and ground clearance (alas i still need to drive on indian roads[frustration])
- all security features (ABS/airbags/ESP/high NCAP ratings) (if not all, then atleast the essential ones like airbags) - nowadays the maniacs on roads and mainly on highways scare the hell out of me.
- it should be able to carry 4 people in comfort (and a place for a last minute addition), and a good boot to handle an average luggage of 3-4 days trip for all.

other points which are not deal breakers but will be preferred are:
- big horn button on steering wheel, so that i can use it with thumdb (need to alert the idiots on road to be away from my car)
- controls on steering wheel
- black/dark interiors (i hate the present trends of beige)
- soft clutch
- steering feedback
- light switch on right and wipers on left (RHS driving controls)
- alloy wheels

One added thing is that I do not have a bias for any make / model of a car. every brand has some pros/cons and I am fine with it unless they dont burn my pocket.

Also I am open to any of hatch/sedan/suv/muv.

So looking for ideas and suggestions. Your comments are most welcome.

Based on your requirements I would suggest hyundai Verna, Renault Scala CVT, duster, Ecosport, maruti SX4. These are some top notch based on your requirements. Now you must decide which segment you like to go for.

- good high seating position, as elders also sit in the car, and they have difficulty in ingress. Also biased by xingy's high seating position
- a petrol engine ( i have driven diesel engines, but feel they lack the pepppyness required in city traffic and they are much crude if i compare with refinement of petrol engines)
- a good suspension and ground clearance (alas i still need to drive on indian roads[frustration])
- all security features (ABS/airbags/ESP/high NCAP ratings) (if not all, then atleast the essential ones like airbags) - nowadays the maniacs on roads and mainly on highways scare the hell out of me.
- it should be able to carry 4 people in comfort (and a place for a last minute addition), and a good boot to handle an average luggage of 3-4 days trip for all.
Since you want to go for petrol going for an SUV like Duster or Ecosport would make sense as there mileage is very poor.
Also elders find it very difficult to get in heighted vehicle like SUV (personal experience).
I would suggest go for SX4 petrol ZXI as it will cover all the requirements

Last edited:
Based on your requirements I would suggest hyundai Verna, Renault Scala CVT, duster, Ecosport, maruti SX4. These are some top notch based on your requirements. Now you must decide which segment you like to go for.
Apart from Kinky suggested, i would like to add Ertiga ZXi. There is enough space for any last minute addition and most of the owners mentioned around 12-14 KM/ltr

Thread Starter #5
Thanks Kinky, konkantrip and releesh.
Some doubts here:
@kinky I have heard verna to be bouncy on high speeds. Is that true?

@konkantrip : isnt ecosport's ecoboost engine good in mileage? and i remember reading in a review that it's height is just perfect for easy ingress? any ideas? ecosport is high on my list, and I do plan to make a test drive of the same

@releesh : ertiga is sure a good option.

any comments about linea t-jet?

@konkantrip : isnt ecosport's ecoboost engine good in mileage? and i remember reading in a review that it's height is just perfect for easy ingress? any ideas? ecosport is high on my list, and I do plan to make a test drive of the same
Yeah even that is a great option but I am not sure on price it may exceed 10 a bit.

Secondly You can convert SX4 in CNG version in near future (not sure about availability of CNG in Banglore ).
Personally I use a CNG fitted zen, it is really worth as it is a green fuel and cost wise as also it doesn't burn your pocket.

Ownership costs - not sure on this for ecosport as this is a pretty new vehicle in the market. Please check there parts cost as well heard they are bit expensive.

Welcome aboard, icecool [:)]
IMO, Ecosport's Ecoboost is overly hyped. It may be good for city driving. But on a highway drive it severely lacks the power and I would suggest not to go for it.

Verna may be a good choice considering the wants and needs of you.

All the Best,
Raaj.

SX4 is rumored to be replaced in coming months.

Ecosport 1.0 has a 5 month waiting period as only 5 in 100 ecosports come with 1.0 ecoboost.

Scala is a great car and ticks all your criteria, you could look at duster 85 bhp IMO

Have you looked at M&M Quanto or Xylo? but these are not petrol but considered as good family cars. Although I am not such a big fan of these due to some reasons but these still have good features & sales & these seem to be match for your needs/price expectations.

few other good options since you are open to hatchbacks/sedans also are Petrol Indica Vista & Indigo Manza Petrol. Very good comfort along with ample space & great features.

I would have suggested ES or Duster but with the features you need both these will be around 12-14L easily.

Last edited:
Looking at your requirements i would suggest you Ecosport top on the list as it covers mostly all your requirements.
Besides that you have cars like Verna and City but then they lack GC.

SX4 is also a good option but then it has become dated now and would be probably replaced by maruti i guess.

Thanks Kinky, konkantrip and releesh.
Some doubts here:
@kinky I have heard verna to be bouncy on high speeds. Is that true?

@releesh : ertiga is sure a good option.

any comments about linea t-jet?
Yes verna tends to be bouncy at high speeds and steering seems to be very light and non responsive. I did TD all of the cars in that segment and finaly liked Ertiga and bought it. But if you feel Ertiga as van then it might not suit you.

Hello icecool ,
There are five cars that tick nearly all priorities ( one has to accept that every beauty has its own flaws ).
1. Ford ecosport : Ford's ecoboost engine is a gem in city, has all safety & gizmos, has high seating position. Can't comment on the highway manners though as I haven't driven one in highways ; Il let ecosport owners to throw light on this.
2. Hyundai fluidic Verna : refined engine and super smooth ride(on good roads) ,ticks your priorities except bouncy ride at uneven roads, ground clearance (common sedan gc),ride height. If your elders are okay with low lying seating go for it.
3. Honda city : I personally feel the new city may arrive anytime next year and I don't want anyone to spend their hardearned money for a product which is likely to get upgraded . Check out the Amaze though !
4. Maruthi suzuki Ertiga : umm haven't driven one .
5. Renault scala ; duster .

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
This weekend I did a bit of showroom hopping and long discussions with SA. I went ahead as my priority list, here is the summary:
1. FORD ECOSPOSRT - They have temporarily halted the petrol bookings, and surprisingly they didnt have the petrol engined test vehicle at their disposal. They kept pushing me for diesel version, but then I moved on. Will wait for the TD.

2. DUSTER - They have just 2 versions of petrol, and that too with basic features. No safety features. So I walked off

3. MARUTI SX4 - The SA asked me to test drive the older one, before the recent makeover version. It was OK, nothing exciting. Didnt like it though after the TD. Also as per him, the expected new maruti sedan will not kill SX4, but will be an addition to the existing portfolio.

4. MARUTI ERTIGA - liked it after TD. Pretty smooth and spacious. Didnt feel like a UV. But then the interiors are pretty plain and beige. Hence decision on HOLD.

I didnt feel like going for Verna, City because of low GC.
Scala/Sunny still look like a tin can. Want to research it more before a TD
Manza does expect a makeover as being published over the net. SO will prefer waiting for it.
Linea - family didnt allow me to TD, inspite of the fact that it sits high on my list. FIAT brand is to be blamed

Also on doing a bit of research, got to know that by mid next year, hyundai, maruti, VW, Honda are planning new mini SUV launches, as well as new Jazz. This has put me in double mind, that should I wait for another year and let the market become more spicy. [clap]

Help required [confused]

Yup mini SUV's are coming in hot but all of them would launched by third quarter of 2014, could can get a glimpse at Delhi auto expo 2014.

Just go ahead and TD scala/sunny, it doesn't cost you anything but surely gives you a peace of mind that you made your decision after TDing all cars.

Verna is getting a minor interior and exterior facelift with LED's and new alloys + new interior features.

Would be wiser to wait for a couple of months, Interest rates are also high.

Top Bottom