Upgrading From Hatchback - Looking For a Sedan

Thread Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I currently own a 7 year old Santro Xing which is still going strong. As I have owned a Maruti 800 & now santro I need to upgrade to a sedan now.

Monthly Running - 500 - 1000 kms (includes city,& rough roads to my farm house + 500 kms of highway driving ) so will go for petrol.
Need space for 5 adults, rear space must be comfortable as my parents are 60+
Good luggage space.

i have shortlisted four cars by preference

Honda City - I liked the car very much after TD but my only concern is the ground clearance as I will be traveling to my farm house where there are almost no roads. Though the distance is only a few kms still its a concern for me. My santro never gave such problems.

Linea - have to still TD but my friend has it, it looks big & spacious, but what about Fiat's ASS I may keep the car for 5 years.

Maruti Sx4 - The only thing I liked about sx4 is the GC & Maruti's ASS. But it is a dated car when compared to Linea or others.

Ford Ecosport - I also considered Ford ecosport but should I go for petrol or diesel.

Ford Fiesta Classic - Superb handling have driven my friends car many times & simply love the way it handles. But will the Ford discontinue this model & if so what about spare parts availability.

I plan to buy the car in October as there could be some discounts on Dasara & Diwali as the road in bangalore id very high which increases the on road price.
Thanks in advance

regards,
Avinash
Bangalore, Karnataka

Re: Want a sedan - An upgrade to my hatchback

Welcome to TAI buddy. Sice your main requirement is a 5-seater and comfortable so you can with a heavy heart cut-off Ecosport. Rear bench is good for 2 only, maybe a child can fit in at max. Now, comfort, from the ones you have mentioned SX4 is the most comfortable and spacious option. It's petrol engine though not so fuel efficient ( I guess you would not be bothered much about that) but is quite peppy to drive and has awesome GC too. The ZXI comes shod with 16", isin't that nice. City would have been my first suggestion as it feels premium too over SX4 but yes is suffers GC issues. I'd suggest you to have a look at Sail and Etios too.

Honda City - I liked the car very much after TD but my only concern is the ground clearance as I will be traveling to my farm house where there are almost no roads.
Recently they have imp r o ved the GC.but won't be better than Linea/sx 4.
Linea - have to still TD but my friend has it, it looks big & spacious, but what about Fiat's ASS
Recently they have started separate ASS/dealership in Bangalore
Maruti Sx4 - The only thing I liked about sx4 is the GC & Maruti's ASS. But it is a dated car when compared to Linea or others
+100
Ford Fiesta Classic - Superb handling have driven my friends car many times & simply love the way it handles. But will the Ford discontinue this model & if so what about spare parts availability.
Less likely to discontinue.they don't have anything similar to it to offer in the absence of classic.
In case of discontinuation, by law they need to supply spares for 7 years atleast. but whether discontinued or not , spares are bound to be costly.
with a heavy heart cut-off Ecosport. Rear bench is good for 2 onlymaybe a child can fit in at max.

s4 It's petrol engine though not so fuel efficient
u would not be bothered much about that) but is quite peppy to drive and has awesome GC too.
:agree: with fd on above part of his post.

But beg to differ on etios.On paper the GC is good but in reality it scrapes the underbody on[cry]bumps.

Yes , do think of Sail sedan, sunny , manza.

Manza is good option if your parent s are tall. Its underthigh support is better than sunny for them.
But ASS needs reserch on your part in your city. Some are good , some are bad.
.So far there are two happy manza ownership thread s on TAI.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Thanks Tornado for your reply. I personally did not like Etios for its build quality, especially the interiors. I heard negative about Manza's reliability. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Good luggage space.
For your above requirements i would suggest you.
1. Nissan Sunny
2. SX4
3. Manza

Sunny has very good leg room, comfortable and good trunk space as well. Also it comes equipped with airbags and ABS as well, so you get safety as well with all your requirements.

But beg to differ on etios.On paper the GC is good but in reality it scrapes the underbody on[cry]bumps.
We don't differ on this one buddy!! I own an Etios only and yes the on paper GC is true but the super soft rear suspension scrapes on even mild humps with just 2-3 on-board. I too am planning to get the spacers done from Toyota. I suggested Etios for it's sheer rev-happy and smooth engine and loads and loads of cabin space.

@Avinash,

Yes agree with singhji and Sunny excellent sedan with great space and handling too and within your budget. We recently bought a Sunny CVT and its awesome

Considering your requirement Ecosport will be a good choice.

Since you will go for drives in the farm, I would recommend you to go for a car with high GC. Linea/Classic will not be correct choice in that case.

Thread Starter #11
Today I read in newspaper that Nissan is launching its Terrano suv. Saw the pics looks good. Though it looks similar to duster it has sharp lines similar to x-trail. I think its worth waiting for, but will it be priced below duster? Any more news on this?

SX4 is being replaced by Maruti with a new car.

Eco sport petrol have a weighting list for 4 months plus. If you can wait it would be great.

Terrano pricing would be same or higher than Duster, thats what the market is suggesting.

Have your tried VW vento ?

Good luggage space.

Thanks Tornado for your reply. I personally did not like Etios for its build quality, especially the interiors. I heard negative about Manza's reliability. Please correct me if I am wrong.
For your requirement of space for 5 adults and comfortable rear space for parents, Manza is the best option.
Manza back seats are more comfortable and spacious compared to Sunny. Eventhough Sunny offers the best leg space, thigh support is less because seats are smaller (seating space is less) and they are positioned low.
Two air bags and ABS are standard in Manza top model which has a lot of features too.

Manza is reliable for me.
If you have a combination of highway and bad roads to cover daily, then Manza is an apt one.

My collegue who upgraded from Santro and bought a petrol Manza (FIAT engine) 3 years ago is very much happy with the performance and reliability so far.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
Hi Sarabjeet
Any idea when is new sx4 being launched. Vento is above my budget. Variant starts from 11 lacs, all because of high road tax in bangalore.[anger] So Vento dropped.

Hi Autosafari,
Should try Manza there is Tata sales & service near my house so ASS shouldn't be a problem.
Will TD soon.

I would recommend you to go for a car with high GC. Linea/Classic will not be correct choice in that case.
Linea GC is 185mm now .

. Vento is above my budget. So Vento dropped.
Hi Autosafari,
Should try Manza there is Tata sales & service near my house so ASS shouldn't be a problem.
Will TD soon.
If the fifth pasenger can manage with the midline little taller hump think of used vento also .

Manza and sx 4 can give some rattle problems ,though not serious ,better to stay prepared

Top Bottom