Suggest a Hatchback For My Father

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

I am starting this thread to get your suggestion for a Hatchback around 4-4.5 lacs for my father.

Currently my dad drives an Indigo and is sold on the space of Tata cars. However, he now, wants to go for the Petrol cars.

Reason being, there is a good price difference of around 50K if not more on petrol to diesel versions of cars and his driving would not be much. Around 50 KM per day.

He has driven Santro and Wagon R, however, he was uncomfortable in both as it felt bit congested. Used to Tata indigo space.

The requirement now we have is:
A petrol hatch
Space like TATA
Price around 4-5 lacs.

Do we have Vista being manufactured in petrol version? How reliable is that car? how would be the service/spares of such petrol vehicle from Tata?

He would be using the car for may be 5 years. So resale value could be another factor(though not a major one) in the choice.

Plus any other cars you may suggest?

@Vicky

To be very frank there is nothing "space like TATA", it should be again a TATA

Yes Vista is superb in space and comfort. We have a diesel Vista and it is quite good so far. I do not know much about petrol vista and its performance, but never heard complaints about it.

So my options for your father are

1.Vista
2.Ritz
3.Sail UVA
4.Ecosport

But I doubt there is no very spacious car which comes between 4-4.5L and you need to stretch your budget a bit for a good spacious car

hi there vikyjoshi

I would suggest you take your father to test drive the New Micra. You will be sold over it.

Stay away from Vista petrol. Resale is terrible

If you could just stretch your budget a bit, I would suggest you Honda Brio and the Fiat Punto. Swift comes in next. Then the ritz. My personal opinion would be to consider pulse over micra. Wishes on a good choice.

@Ajay

Viky's main criteria is petrol hatch and space, Brio is an excellent small hatch, but his dad would sourly miss space that he is use to in Tata's.
Pulse only comes in diesel, hence the new Micra is the only alternative.

TD Toyota Liva, Chevy Uva would be near to comfort like Tata cars.
Do check the pricing for these cars and if you can stretch few more grands for either.

If space is the main criteria I'd suggest the Vista Petrol, but the resale value is dead for a tata after 5 years, Like vijay suggested, you could check out the Liva and Sail UVA, both has decent space and similar to Vista, my personal suggestion would be the Liva as it yields better resale value after the ownership period.

Do we have Vista being manufactured in petrol version? How reliable is that car? how would be the service/spares of such petrol vehicle from Tata?
Vista is available in petrol and the safire petrol engine in Vista is the same one seen in Fiat Punto.
Reliability would be same as diesel Vista.
My colleague is using a petrol Manza for last 3 years and is satisfied with it's performance and ruggedness.
He finds it reliable and happy with the way it is tackling bad roads with his aggressive driving style.
After some minor accidents and a major accident (in which he and friends came out safely), the car is still intact and looks good.

Last edited:
vicky

My suggestion liva or micRa for petrol .

But 50kms daily is 1500 Kms monthly you can easily go for a diesel car here . Just saying .

Thread Starter #10
@All, Thank you for your suggestion,

@RK, if it has to be Vista diesel, how good is Vista TDI ?

Well I guess to start with I can let my dad get the Testdrive for
1. Vista (petrol/diesel) (diesel as per Rajas Suggestion.)
2. Ecosport (As I like that car too, but i guess waiting for the petrol base version would also be a huge!!, Again I am pushing this car, my dad wants a hatch but still would push for this one ;) )
3. Ritz
4. Micra/ Liva
5.Brio

I seriously have no idea on the pricing of the cars mentioned above. But the fact that my dad would be going for the exchange of his Indigo, I am kind of taking the liberty to stretch by few grands ;)

I have asked him to TD all the cars before he makes his choice. We stay in Navi Mumbai, so i guess,
For TML, Fortune cars in Nerul,
For Suzuki, SK wheels, Turbhe, Automotive Nerul.
For Chevy, I guess there is one showroom on Thane-Belapur Road.
For Honda, I dont recollect where theres one in Navi Mumbai.
For Ford/ Nissan/ Renault I dont know where the showroom is.

Any help would be useful.

Last edited:
Orion nissan, sanpada
Bhavna ford, nerul
renault is also near palm beach

Indica Vista petrol is not down on FE, better to go for diesel if you do want Vista.

Thread Starter #14
Update so far:

My dad has check the Toyoya Liva and is happy with the space. the entry level model is barebones but the middle variant he has liked.

He will be checking out other cars as well.

Infact there is another thought going on at home, we have a family friend who owns the dezire (i guess the very first dezire petrol version.) He is thinking of that car too. I am against that. Again a used car is a used car. Will keep you updated.

Top Bottom