Need Help To Buy My First Car

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,
I want to buy my first car.I am upgrading from two wheeler.
I am still learning to drive and this will be the first and only car in the family.
I am going to keep the car for long time say more than 6 years.
My basic requirements as per TAI guidelines are posted below

Your Budget: 2 to 4 Lacs(do not want to stretch it significantly)
> New or Used: New
> Your Location: surat,Gujarat
> Top Five Priorities: Fuel Efficiency, Low running Cost, Low Maintenance Cost,Comfortable to sit
> Monthly Running: less than 400 KM
> Type of Fuel: Petrol
> For What Purpose: Movie,shopping and i will go for long highway trips after i become confident of my driving.
> Seating Capacity: 4 to 5
> Type of Segment: Hatchback
i am not familiar with cars and Just want a car that is cheap to own and run for a long time. ABS and air bags may not come within my budget but car should safe to drive .In just joined the TAI yesterday and needs help.
Thanks,

Hi All,
I want to buy my first car.I am upgrading from two wheeler.
I am still learning to drive and this will be the first and only car in the family.
I am going to keep the car for long time say more than 6 years.
My basic requirements as per TAI guidelines are posted below

Your Budget: 2 to 4 Lacs(do not want to stretch it significantly)
> New or Used: New
> Your Location: surat,Gujarat
> Top Five Priorities: Fuel Efficiency, Low running Cost, Low Maintenance Cost,Comfortable to sit
> Type of Fuel: Petrol
> For What Purpose: Movie,shopping and i will go for long highway trips after i become confident of my driving.
> Seating Capacity: 4 to 5
> Type of Segment: Hatchback
i am not familiar with cars and Just want a car that is cheap to own and run for a long time. ABS and air bags may not come within my budget but car should safe to drive .In just joined the TAI yesterday and needs help.
Thanks,

Hey at 2 to 4 lakh budget you get Tata nano, maruti alto 800, hyundai Eon, alto k10, hyundai santro. If you could strech little bit you get nissan micra active, maruti wagonr, ford figo, hyundai I10.

The best in this segment would be Wagonr. Being your first car you will be happy with Maruti sales and service. TD and let us know how you felt.

Looking at your reqirements
You can go for following options
TATA Nano
Alto
Wagon R ( if you can go for CNG option more fuel efficient)

Hi,

In this budget you can go for Alto K10, Wagon R , Santro or ZEN Estilo. Since this is your first car, these all cars are quiet reliable, having cheap spare parts, easy to maintain and have very good A.S.S.

Since you want to go for highway runs later on Nano won't fit there.

You have test ride of all these and then decide.

Welcome friend to TAI !!

As most of the members suggested I also see Wagon R will be perfect fit for your first car experience and hassle free ownership

Hi kpdave,
WagonR and Santro Xing would be the best options for you considering you plan to keep the car for 6+ years. And your usage would increase as you build confidence in driving.
I won't recommend Alto/Eon as they have cramped interiors. But that depends on height/build of your family members who would be using the car. Hence advice you to take them with you on test drives.

Also, konkantrip suggested WagonR CNG option too. This is also worthwhile to explore if availability of CNG is not a hassle in your city. Although CNG version crosses the budget, if buying on loan, compare CNG's EMI with petrol version's EMI+additional monthly petrol cost you would be incurring on petrol.

As you are a first time buyer, consider the following as well:-
Ask for discount before finalizing the deal;
Normally if you buy insurance online it is cheaper than the insurance offered by the dealer so explore that option;
Do have a look at TAI's pre-delivery checklist thread before taking possession of your car-->
New Car Pre-Delivery Inspection – An Exhaustive Guide

Happy Car hunting [:)] and keep posting.

Tata Nano

I would recommend Tata nano. I had exactly the same requirements. Of course I wanted to use it for office only, however, have been driving it outside city too quite often. The great fuel efficiency is supportive for these long drives add well as bumper to bumper movement is city traffic. Seating is comfortable, especially if you are very tall compared to alto, or other small cars.

Thread Starter #10
Thank you all,
went to a Maruti dealer yesterday.they quoted around 360000 for Alto 800 vxi after discount plus maruti genuine accessories worth 5000.
465000 for wagon r vxi and accessories worth 5000.i may go for lxi.prices OTR surat
Cheapest option is nano and it saves money but i may feel it inferior in future.

May be you can consider i10 as other option, as its a good car too. Hyundai is offering great deals with this particular car. Upto 60k discounts are available on that one. [:)]

KPDave: I'd go out of line and suggest something different - don't buy a brand new car yet. Buy a used M800/Alto and own it and drive it for 10-12 months. The reason for that is two fold:

1. While you are driving for the first time, mistakes and accidents are bound to happen and they will hurt less with a used car.
2. As you drive, based on your first hand experience, you will come to know of your priorities better, eg. better safety, better mileage, better pickup, whatever. Then you can make a better decision about buying a new car. Since you anyway plan to keep the car for 6 years, it's better to make an informed decision than to be stuck with a car you won't be totally satisifed with.

Hi All,
Thanks,
If your running is less than 400 I dont think going for CNG is a good option as the recurring cost of the CNG will take more time to pay back you can go for a pure petrol option.

Cheapest option is nano and it saves money but i may feel it inferior in future.
Currently there having some good offers going on Nano also they are providing a warranty for
60K Kms or 4 years so its a very good option.

I really fell in love when I saw there new commercial ad really felt like getting one.

Thank you all,
went to a Maruti dealer yesterday.they quoted around 360000 for Alto 800 vxi after discount plus maruti genuine accessories worth 5000.
465000 for wagon r vxi and accessories worth 5000.i may go for lxi.prices OTR surat
Its better you go for Wagon R lxi. It is a reliable car, having good fuel efficiency and cheap spare parts. Its tall boy design makes driving easy in traffic. Also you can use it in the city as well as on highways.

Thread Starter #15
I would have gone for new swift straight away if budget permitted.also i thought of buying a used swift but i doubt i can get one which gives me hassle free experience at fair price.since i am new to the cars,can not buy a car just by reading 'how to buy used cars' :) :)

Top Bottom