Tata Storme VX VS Mahindra XUV5OO W8: Which One?

Thread Starter #1
Friends,

I am starting a new thread to limit your thoughts on Strome VX (not entire Safari family) and XUV W8 so that it might help potential buyers who are currently taking a very close look at. BTW, the other thread has grown like anaconda.

Let's say TATA gives assurance on their after sales support (you got to believe) and M & M are free from all mechanical issues, which one would you still like to pick!!! I might sound like paranoid but still it is ok as long as there is some sensible feedback.

Here is a quick background, perhaps some of you are already familiar with,

Today I spoke to two leads, one each from Tata and M & M dealers, the former on poor A.S.S and later on burning niggles, below is in their own words.

As per TATA Sales Lead, Sir, historically Commercial vehicles are treated with high priority considering not to impact their business much but end up neglecting individual owners. Over a period the dissatisfaction piled up and which TATA have taken measures to repair (in process).

Coming to XUV niggles,

Per M & M lead, all the vehicles dispatched after February, 2013 batch the issues have been rectified. Vehicles delivered prior to 2013 January, looks like they recalled some to address the issues. In some cases, they coordinated directly with customers and took care of the same in regular service cycles. He offred me to talk to couple of customers who have recently bought XUV. In case I decide to go with XUV this is one thing I might avail too.

Perhaps you are already aware but it might help new entrants.

Let's limit your feedback on -

1) Looks- though it is subjective still opinions are much counted
2) Interiors Look & Feel
3) Interior space
4) Ride,handling and stability
5) Drivability-
6) Performance
7) Peace of mind VFM

It would be great if we could pull thoughts from XUV owners who bought their vehicle in last couple of months.

Much appreciate your view points in advance.

Last edited:
Re: Tata Storme VX VS XUV5OO W8 mfd after 03/2013 - Which one to Choose.

1) Looks- Personally for me, its the Storme.

2) Interiors Look & Feel- XUV any day.

3) Interior space- Both are similar... tight in the 3rd row and good in the first two rows.

4) Ride- Storme.

5) Handling - XUV.

5) Drivability and performance- XUV.

6) Peace of mind VFM- Depends! I am happy with my XUV, but a lot of owners have also cribbed about niggles, which like you said seems to be have solved in the latest batches. Many have had terrible experiences with TATA's A.S.S. but a lot of owners in this forum are a satisfied bunch. Both TATA and M&M is striving to improve their customer care.

All in all, I have and still will pick the XUV over the Storme at this price.

Thread Starter #3
Chennai - Price @ a glance -
Strome LX EX VX4*2 VX4*4
============================================================
Ex Show room 1030029 1122577 1299985 1432151
Road Tax 156004 169887 196498 216323
Logistics Charges 7500 7500 7500 7500
Insurance 42235 45630 52145 57000
Ex Warranty 7980 7980 7980 7980
AMC 10093 10093 10093 10093
Grand Total 1253841 1363667 1574201 1731047

XUV5OO W8 Ex Showroom B2B Insurance Reg+Tax Onroad
DelaerX 1355103 59273 213265 1627641

============================================================

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Special thanks to Vickram (VICKYJOSHI) for responding to my offline queries.[:D]

@Raj_5004 - per your expectations, How much should be a reasonable price tag?

@all,

My intention is not to repeat the intense discussions, pasted the threads for reference. But would like to hear from Recent XUV5OO owners. If any of you happen to have any updates (either direct or indirect) please feel free to jump in..

Tata Storme vs Mahindra XUV5OO - Which One To Choose?

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-shopper/13667-looking-new-car-confused-4.html

1) Looks- Personally like the looks of Storme as it has Monsterous look as well as it gives kind of Landroverish look from front.
2) Interiors Look & Feel - XUV anyday. The amount of features, 2 din infotainment system and the waterfall design of center console gives a rich feeling. And it does feel like you driving a 15Lac car.
3) Interior space - Both have good amount of legroom, infact XUV has more legroom for the second row.
4) Ride,handling and stability - I'll have to divide this in two parts. First Ride, which i'll give to Storme but XUV is not bad. Secondly Handling and Stability, I'll give it to XUV.
5) Drivability- XUV
6) Performance - XUV
7) Peace of mind VFM - Well i don't own a Storme so won't comment on it. But with XUV i can say YES it does give you peace of mind. ASS in my case has been great as well.

@Raj_5004 - per your expectations, How much should be a reasonable price tag?
I would not pay 15.74 Lacs for the Storme VX. I dont feel that is value for money for the kind of equipment the Storme has. It should have been a Lac to 1.5 Lac lesser. But then, that is my personal opinion. I feel the Storme should command a small premium to the Scorpio, that's it.

Thread Starter #7
That's bit confusing, do you think alloy wheels, air bags, leather seats , fog lamps doesn't contribute to the cost?

Is that also the case with EX variant?

Let me also pick your thoughts on why you consider XUV W8 16.3L is worth the money?

Personally I felt both are slightly over priced.

I see people on the forum highly opinionated LX as VFM but that said they had also gone upgrades. how much it would cost in the case i have to get this stuff (not talking about Air Bags) added on to LX or EX?

AFAIK, you are comparing an say an storme LX to a W8 XUV.

pricewise compare the LX or the EX to a W6 XUV.

with a W8 you get features well worth the money.

6 airbags, TPMS, ESC/ESP, alloys wheels, GPS(colour screen touch screen 2DIN ICE), auto headlamps/rain wipers. hill hold / hill descent, all leather seats, etc (because i do not know all the features)

also with LX , the rear wipers /fog lamps cannot be retrofitted.

if you are looking for aftermarket solutions , keep a check on a W6 of XUV and an EX of storme.

if rear wipe/wash and fog lamps is immaterial you can choose the LX variant of the storme.

with both the vehicles , you can avail offers as currently both the products are under pressure to sell, so do not forget to negotiate.

That's bit confusing, do you think alloy wheels, air bags, leather seats , fog lamps doesn't contribute to the cost?

Let me also pick your thoughts on why you consider XUV W8 16.3L is worth the money?

I see people on the forum highly opinionated LX as VFM but that said they had also gone upgrades. how much it would cost in the case i have to get this stuff (not talking about Air Bags) added on to LX or EX?
Hi Suhas,
From Storme point of view only:

If you look at Storme, the LX/ EX versions have Blackand Beige Dashboard, The VX has a Beige/ Cream Dash. So that is the first difference. Since you have budget, your first preference could be what interior colours you would want.

If you want to have a look at LX dashboard, you can view my thread with interior pics
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/13448-my-new-storme-lx-k-carbonado.html

Else if you like the Black dashboard, EX would be the option for you,
You can upgrade to Stock Alloys, Leather seats.
EX has Fog lamps, Over head AC unit for throwing air upto the last seat. Additional chrome highlights for OVRMs is missing. the Silver styling of the roof rails is missing.
What EX lacks is the Airbags. and ofcourse the 4x4 option.

So in storme EX could be an option for you.

Additionally, for Storme, you may be in a position to bargain, and get some additional discounts, other than what is being currently being offered. (i guess its 20K bonus + 30 K exchange)

When you consider only and only features, instead of paying 15.74 Lacs for a Storme VX, I would pick a XUV W6 which is not only cheaper but also has more equipment like automatic wipers, infotainment display, rear disc brakes, automatic A/C, cruise control and a 6 speed transmission.

The W8 of XUV offers a lot more than the VX of Storme apart form those fog lights, leather seats and alloys.

I think the EX is decent value of money. Nothing beats the LX in that though!

For the extra 75k over the Storme, you get -

6 speed transmission over 5 speed
Static bending projector headlights
6" colour infotainment display with DVD compatibility
GPS navigation
Tyre pressure sensors
Automatic wipers
4 additional airbags
Electronic Stability Program
Roll over mitigation
Hill Hold
Hill descent control
Rear disc brakes
Automatic A/C
Cruise Control

Now you can decide whether these features are worth the 75000 or not...

Because of the increase in taxes by the Govt., all SUVs are pricey now.

Hey suhas, I am a Storme (LX) owner since last 6 months and have covered 11.5 K KMS, Initially i had issues with my Storme and visited TASS 6 times for the same issues, but later on TATA motors intervened and all the issues were resolved. After that my Storme is running niggle free and am really happy with it. I bought Storme because i loved safari since childhood, i did not even considered XUV500 (i am not saying that XUV is a bad SUV) even though my younger brother always wanted XUV but somehow i won the battle and got my dream fulfilled.
Now about Storme, this is just a plane SUV without any modern features like XUV has, You will find people who are unhappy with both the companies (M&M and TATA) so if you want an SUV with lots of features then XUV will suite you. Its just about mind and heart. You can read my ownership review of Storme @ http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...safari-storme-comes-home-dream-fulfilled.html

Now coming to your criteria

1) Looks- Storme
2) Interiors Look & Feel: XUV (though i don't like the dashboard colour)
3) Interior space: I think both are more or less same.
4) Ride,handling and stability: Have not driven XUV so cannot comment but Storme is good.
5) Drivability- No idea about XUV so cannot comment.
6) Peace of mind VFM: Depends on ASS.

@Suhas

If you are ready to spend 16+ Lakhs then I would suggest you to look at Fortuner segment as both Storm VX and XUV W8 looks to me bit overpriced for what they offer[:)]

@ suhas

My friend I will keep it very simple .

1) are you willing to wait ? I mean if its not urgent I would request you to wait till next year as Nissan will be comming up with qashqai it is smaller then xuv and storme but will be more reliable then both ( attaching a video for you )

2) incase if you are not ready to wait , and have a budget of 16-17 lakhs and love features , and want more safety options go for xuv w8 .

3) test drive both the cars multiple times on highways , city. In traffic in all possible scenarios and then decide .

4) further check the a.s.s of both tata & mahindra in your city and take reviews of it .

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DItroka4cbQ&desktop_uri=/watch?v=DItroka4cbQ

Nissan Qashqai 1,6 dCi - Test 2012 - YouTube

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom