Hatchback Under 6 Lacs OTR - Brio / Figo / Any Other Car

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post, hope to get some useful information to assist in my decision.

Well, to give you a background, I used to own a used Wagon R 2004 model Vxi, which was a great car in Gurgaon which i used for about 1.5 years and then sold it in 2010 when I returned to Mumbai.

In Mumbai as I used the trains never found the need to own a car and preferred saving on the EMI and other costs related to owning a car, thought I would buy a bigger house using the savings. However the real estate prices rose 100 times faster than my savings and now things stand such that saving 6 lacs over the next few years really wont make a difference to my home buying abilities in Mumbai, hence decided to go for a new car. Also after marriage my TVS Wego seems a bit inadequate.

My monthly running would be about 300 -500 Kms as would still be using trains for office commute. Hence logical choice is to go for a petrol. As this is practically my first car and considering the budget a hatchback would be preferred.

Please suggest a god car as per the below criteria.

Budget: max 6 lacs OTR

New or Used: New

Top Five Priorities: Ease of driving ( My only experience of driving is in Gurgaon with wide roads, moderate traffic, huge parking spaces, still get nervous stopping on a upward slope with a car behind ), Low maintenence, good for weekend drives, preferably having safety features like ABS Airbags, resale value after about 4 years

Monthly Running: 300 - 500 kms

Type of Fuel: Petrol

For What Purpose: Casual Use

Seating Capacity: Max 5 adults

Type of Segment: Hatchback

Have gone through the forum and done some research and like the Honda Brio and the Ford Figo. Kindly suggest which car to go for based on the above criteria for a relatively inexperienced driver like me.

Love the looks of the Brio and the Honda Badge. Only Problem with the Brio is the boot space.

Read that Ford Figo Petrol is not a great car and suffers in terms of power and resale value. Dont Prefer Swift due to the fact that it is everywhere, dont like the Ritz and A - Star. Also I already had a Wagon R, hence that is again not being considered.

How is the Nissan Micra Active, it is at an attractive pricepoint with all safety features available. How is the ASS of Nissan and the cost of ownership?

Wont prefer an AT as would like to develop MT skills.

Also should I buy now or wait for the festive season for discounts?

Thanks

My vote is with the Honda Brio too. If the bootspace isn't a really big concern, go for it. You won't regret the compromise. Figo has pretty good luggage space. But performance wise when compared to Brio, I agree with Music Swift

Hey Buddy welcome to TAI. If your heart says Brio then go for it. Also you can consider i20 petrol which has better boot space.

Hi Ajay,

I didn't get you. "But performance wise when compared to Brio, I agree with Music Swift".
Hi trivikram,

I meant Boot is small in Brio. If he was fine with it and didnt have any problems with the small boot, Brio should be his choice over figo.

Adding my own point, You can give Ecosport a try too. If you can wait for sometime you will probably get many more options to choose from. By waiting I mean till Feb 2014. But thats secondary

Thread Starter #9
Thanks for the replies, mostly will do a TD of Brio in the weekend as Honda Showroom is closest to my home.

Hey Buddy welcome to TAI. If your heart says Brio then go for it. Also you can consider i20 petrol which has better boot space.
Thanks, but i20 a decent variant would go above my budget

Hi trivikram,

I meant Boot is small in Brio. If he was fine with it and didnt have any problems with the small boot, Brio should be his choice over figo.

Adding my own point, You can give Ecosport a try too. If you can wait for sometime you will probably get many more options to choose from. By waiting I mean till Feb 2014. But thats secondary
Even I thought of the Ecosport, however I have heard that Petrol all versions waiting period is about 6-9 months. If it comes to about 2 months I can think of Petrol Ambient Variant. [:)]

If you are not going to use the big boot of Figo much, then Brio is the obvious choice. Can also look at i10 and Beat petrol; They are good for city driving too.

My suggestions
Petrol : Swift LXi, Brio
Diesel : Just have a look at Vista and Punto (you can get them under 6L considering discounts)

Thread Starter #12
Did the TD of the Brio today, nice peppy engine, very quiet and whenever it makes a sound, its like music, no vibrations,no sound in the cabin.

Getting insurance free and a 10k-15k cash discount +some free accesories, will get the VX MT at about 6,25,000 OTR, Please let me know if it is a good deal.
Wife loved the Amaze, but that goes out of budget.

However the VW fully loaded offer has added to the consfusion. Enquired with the dealer and VW Polo Petrol Highline is available at about 6,90,000 OTR with 3 years free insurance under the offer, Hence a saving of about 40,000, which makes it somewhat comparable price range and the VW Polo Highline is fully loaded with equipments including rear parking sensor, Bluetooth connectivity etc.

Please suggest which is a better option. Some how feel that Polo has higher Noise and Vibration level. But is a much more practical car.

Did the TD of the Brio today, nice peppy engine, very quiet and whenever it makes a sound, its like music, no vibrations,no sound in the cabin.

Getting insurance free and a 10k-15k cash discount +some free accesories, will get the VX MT at about 6,25,000 OTR, Please let me know if it is a good deal.
Wife loved the Amaze, but that goes out of budget.

However the VW fully loaded offer has added to the consfusion. Enquired with the dealer and VW Polo Petrol Highline is available at about 6,90,000 OTR with 3 years free insurance under the offer, Hence a saving of about 40,000, which makes it somewhat comparable price range and the VW Polo Highline is fully loaded with equipments including rear parking sensor, Bluetooth connectivity etc.

Please suggest which is a better option. Some how feel that Polo has higher Noise and Vibration level. But is a much more practical car.
I had the same feel as yours with the polo in our search of a new car. I also felt Polo had the pedals placed a little higher than usual, which may end up in ankle pains during long drives.

Your deal with the Brio looks good to me. Freebies ??

we got our brio for 6.38. Karnataka tax blew it up.[frustration]

Thread Starter #14
I had the same feel as yours with the polo in our search of a new car. I also felt Polo had the pedals placed a little higher than usual, which may end up in ankle pains during long drives.

Your deal with the Brio looks good to me. Freebies ??

we got our brio for 6.38. Karnataka tax blew it up.[frustration]
Well even Mumbaiites have to live with 9% RTO charges and 5% octroi [cry]

Took the TD of the Polo and liked it, pick up is not as great as the Brio, but they have worked on the engine sound it seems. Loved the solid body feel and the gearshifts.
Also wife liked the looks of the Polo, hence booked it under Fully loaded scheme,
Petrol Highline model 6.89 OTR with 2 subsequent years free insurance. and AMC at 501 per month. Will miss not having the Brio, but you cant have everything.

Red color is not available hence will have to wait for a month for delivery, no discounts other than the scheme.

Congrats mate for your new Polo Highline. With all the free insurance and Annual maintenance plan included, this seem to be a very sweet deal. Its a solidly put together car and oozes top notch quality inside out. Polo looks brilliant in each and every shade. Pepper Grey and Shadow Blue look really classy,sophisticated and royal. White and Black look sporty,clean and elegant. Red is the outright charmer,the eye grabber, the head turner. You've made a brilliant choice of car as well as the color. [clap] I am sure it would be worth the wait.

Top Bottom