New Car - Suggestions Needed

Thread Starter #1
It all started when my family said "We should own a car like 'xyz' aunty"..! And that's when they kindled it in me too.. About my family: Its 4 adults including me. Will bcom 5 shortly as my family is on a rat race to get a girl for me So, my search for a new car has started and I am here now (hoping it to be the right place).
Dilemma 1 : Variants. Friend (F): Hey buddy - what's up with your car plan?
Me (M): Haan bro - still happening.
F: Let me say you something. Whatever car you think of, go with the basic variant. It will be less priced.
M: What - but why?
F: Nowadays, almost all basic variants come with an AC, Front power windows, Power steeting and central locking. What you need is a music player, which you can buy in aftermarket. Leather seats, alloys etc can also be made from aftermarket, which, all totals clubbed, will be less than the top variant's price.
M: Ok ok.. Let me see that too. Thanks bro.
My Mind voice: It's going to be my first car. And I am not that rich to pay everything from my pocket, so it's gotta be a LOAN. Why not go for the top variant with all factory fitted features rather doing alterations at aftermarket. However, the EMIs are always there, but -- lets take care of it on the go.
Now, someone clarify me should i follow my friend's advice or my mind voice?
Dilemma 2: Safety. F: Don't go for ABS, Airbags etc bro. Its a waste of cost.
M: But, those are safety features bro. What if something goes wrong?
F: C'mon man. Nothing will go wrong. In Indian roads, ABS etc are seldom used. You are not going to cruise in 150 Km/hr on highways. For an average speed of 80 - 90 km/hr, normal brakes are more than enough. So, why wasting money in ABS / Airbags etc?
M: ?@@?@?@?
Now, again someone clarify me what should i do here?
Dilemma 3: Brand. F: Dude, go for Maruti.
M: But bro, other cars with same price range is also good na.
F: Good, but see, you will end up spending more on maintenance.
M: Bro, maintenance is there is Audi too. We can't help it.
F: We can, if you plan wisely. Go for maruti. Their A.S.S is very good. Spares are very cheap compared with its competitors. You dont have to run after the service centers often for small damages man.. Believe me..
M: Again @???@?@?@?
Help pls..
Now, after all these dilemmas, my requirements follow,
Requirements:
Budget: 4 - 6.5 (OTR price)
Brand: ???
Safety Features Needed: ???
Maintenance: Should be easy on pocket.
Drivability: Should be fun on highway driving. I don’t want to feel any boredom or fatigue while driving long.
Fuel Economy: Expecting 17+ on highways.
Fuel Type: Petrol.
Heads Travelling: For now, 4. It may turn up to 5 adults. So, I need a car to carry 5 adults (not necessarily with high comfort. But, at least the car should carry 5 adults with adjustments - after all we are a family) Mostly, only 2 will be travelling on highways. Seldom, we all go out on highways. But, I dont want to limit the car to be a 'strict 4 adults only' car.
Handling: Handling should be good on both highway and city driving.
Body: Hatchback.
Can you suggest me few good cars in my budget range, satisfying all my requirements and also can you also clarify my dilemmas?
Thanks all.

Not necessary you go for maruti suzuki. Here goes the list of the cars you should TD
Swift
Ritz
VW Polo
Toyota liva
Ford Figo
i10 and i20
Fiat Punto
Honda Brio.
Variants are upto you. The features you are satisfied with, go for it. I am also the one who believes factory fits are better. Hyundai, VW and Honda are considered a bit expensive in terms of servicing aftermarket. But I feel Honda is negotiable.

Safety is a must. So do not compromise on ABS and airbags (my opinion)

Wait till early next year if possible. Many more options. Including Honda Jazz (Pricing not known)

Last edited:
Hi, Welcome to TAI forum [:)]

Safety Features Needed: ???
Maintenance: Should be easy on pocket.
Drivability: Should be fun on highway driving. I don’t want to feel any boredom or fatigue while driving long.
Fuel Economy: Expecting 17+ on highways.
Fuel Type: Petrol.
Handling: Handling should be good on both highway and city driving.
You can try Wagon R too, if you are fine with the looks. From what i have read and heard, Wagon R, Liva and Brio give good mileage. My friend owns an i10 and he gets only about 10 to 12 in city. Many owner reviews that I read also had the same mileage. And same for i20 petrol.

Liva G+SP (safety pack) comes around 6.4 L. It clearly lacks equipment. So add a few accessories like fog lamps, rear wiper, defogger and good speakers will take you around 6.6 L. Its one of the most spacious cars.

I would suggest you to read ownership reviews instead of TD reviews to get real usage info about the car. Do TD all the cars. Because, you might like a car that you don't like on paper.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Ok. Few were suggesting that I should also give a try to semi-sedan like Dzire vxi and Amaze SMT which fall in my price range, just with an exception that the safety features will not be there.

And i am a novice driver, so a little frightened to take a sedan as a first car.

Your views?

Both of them are good cars and you would get added boot space as well.
Don't worry about the driving thing, its all about getting accustomised with the car and you will in few days span.
Short list the cars you want to check and test drive them, see which one suits your needs perfectly.

Hmm first dilemma is whether to get a fully loaded hatch with safety features or get the lower variants of sedans like Amaze or Dzire without safety features. I think its better to go for a safety feature loaded hatch here, as what these sedans basically offer is more boot space. So if boot space is not your big priority, go for a hatch. Also hatch will be more easier to drive, park in city environment.

In hatches, Swift and Brio come to my mind based on your requirement of fun-to-drive, fuel efficient, low maintenance, great handling cars, which can seat five in reasonable comfort, though it can be a tight fit depending on the health of family members. Best you test drive and check out the cabin space in person.

I have not driven the Liva 1.2 petrol. It suits all your requirements except it doesn't really fall in the fun-to-drive car category based on reviews. Its more of a family car.

I think you should list down your requirements based on priorities, like from 1 to 5, and then start short listing cars because you cant get all the features in one car.

Hi ITZME, you could also look at Vista. Great Space, Great engine, You could get fuel economy of around 17. But, it is diesel.
I have driven Petrol run WagonR and it gave me around 12 on Highway. But comparing between Vista and Wagon R i would vouch for Vista.

Top Bottom