Second Hand Honda Civic, Accord or City?

Thread Starter #1
I have a 1 year Toyota Etios ([frustration]) and I am looking to replace it with a second hand car. I have seen Honda Civics going for as low as 3.25 lakh on sites like OLX.in.

I am getting around 5 lakhs for my Etios (petrol model, just 5000 km done).

So, here is my question - is second hand (2008 model) honda civic a good buy? I have heard from someone that engine problems you a lot after 5 years. What other second hand sedan cards should I look for? My budget is 5 lakhs.

Last edited by a moderator:

350Z

Core Team
I have a 1 year Toyota Etios and I am looking to replace it with a second hand car.
Heartiest welcome to The Automotive India. What is the reason behind trading a brand new Etios with a used Honda?

Second Hand Honda Civic, Accord or City?
All cars mentioned above belong to different segments and have different characteristics and maintenance costs.

I have seen Honda Civics going for as low as 3.25 lakh on sites like OLX.in.
Even though finding a Civic under 5 Lakh wouldn’t be a task. But getting a lesser run model in a reasonable condition could be.

So, here is my question - is second hand (2008 model) honda civic a good buy? I have heard from someone that engine problems you a lot after 5 years. What other second hand sedan cards should I look for? My budget is 5 lakhs.
Hondas usually are reliable machines and designed to last long if well maintained. That’s why it’s important to find a car that comes with a satisfactory service record. There are many options for second hand sedans. If driving pleasure is the prime criteria then also look out for Mitsubishi Cedia, Ford Fiesta S, Fiat Linea T-Jet and likes which offer optimal performance without burning a hole in the pocket.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #4
Heartiest welcome to The Automotive India. What is the reason behind trading a brand new Etios with a used Honda?
The Etios problems are way too many and I have already done more than 20 visits in 1 year for resolving basic problems. I really wish I knew about OLX.in before I gave my hard earned money to stupid Toyota Moti nagar (Delhi). [anger]

The car gives me 7-8 kmpl; vibrates too much even though I bought the petrol model. I do not care about kmpl too much but I want a carefree car - This Etios has too much engine noise; is very uncomfortable on speed breakers (even at <10kmph); has very thin chassis and sports very thin color coating (that gets scratched easily). I can talk about the cons all day. [frustration]

My question - I want a carefree car now. 2009 Civic or 2010 City?

Thanks. Are Civics no good?
Civics are indeed well built cars but finding a less used/well maintained specimen would be a task. However getting a used City would be fairly easier. Civic/City, both seems to be apt replacement for your Etios. However, Accord wont be a prudent choice, reason: You will get the older models at less rates. The facelifted version is not yet available below 10lacs.

City would be my best bet. Have a friend who owns both and loves Hondas to the core! :)
He says City suits its name (For the City). For highway runs though, he prefers the Civic (mainly due to lower GC - Not suited for Bangalore's pothole ridden roads!). So it purely depends on your usage.

I love the Civic but my mind tells me that City is a better option!

Hi Kamal, Welcome to the forum. You are perhaps the first person who is thinking of ditching a new car for a second hand one.

Anyway, Honda City and Civic are both good choices. And being petrol you should get within 5 lakhs if you bargain hard. City should not be atleast 2009 model (iVtec engine) and as it has already been mentioned select a car with a proper service record.
Have it checked by HASS independently and specially for rust. iVtec is known for its reliability and Honda's are known to last.

Civic is a very good car and the only problem I see is its low GC. Otherwise no other issues.

Wish you all the best on your car hunting adventure.

IMO, Honda and Civic are both good but purely depend on the usage and requirement.
Civic is more powerful than City and mileage is less then City.
But if you are a mostly highway runner, then Civic is the best.
Definitely comfort level will be more in Civic then City, in the same way maintenance cost will be higher in Civic.
City will be really good if you are more of inside city. 2009 car is not an issue.

Hi Kamal, Welcome to the forum. You are perhaps the first person who is thinking of ditching a new car for a second hand one.

Anyway, Honda City and Civic are both good choices. And being petrol you should get within 5 lakhs if you bargain hard. City should not be atleast 2009 model (iVtec engine) and as it has already been mentioned select a car with a proper service record.
Have it checked by HASS independently and specially for rust. iVtec is known for its reliability and Honda's are known to last.

Civic is a very good car and the only problem I see is its low GC. Otherwise no other issues.

Wish you all the best on your car hunting adventure.
Hello,

Whats the problem with 2009 honda city S MT? Because I'm about to get one.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Hello,

Whats the problem with 2009 honda city S MT? Because I'm about to get one.

Thanks...
Best Regards
No I mis-typed and noticed it now. I think the iVtec version was launched sometime in March 2009 so get that one or later.

Sorry for the confusion.

Some one told me about a second hand civic for 6.5 lakh(automatic). Just 8000km. Less than 2 year old itseems.
The original owner could not pay 3emis. So the finance people sold to recover the money. Second person bought for 6.3 or so. Now he wants to go for a diesel model with gear. He changed the back bumper

If interested, will ask more info.

No I mis-typed and noticed it now. I think the iVtec version was launched sometime in March 2009 so get that one or later.

Sorry for the confusion.
new honda city has iVtec engine only. Even honda city zx had iVtec engine but it was a variant beside i-dsi. so iVtec engine was launched long ago. [roll]

Top Bottom